Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Low Coolant Warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
discodownunder

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Low Coolant Warning

Had the coolant bottle changed a few months ago but have started getting Low Coolant message again, if the bottle needs topping up does it mean there is a leak? surely it is a sealed system and should not loose liquid? Going in for service on Monday so hopefully get sorted then, any comments before hand would be useful (comments about this topic that is!!!!)
 2005 Disco 3 HSE in Zambezi + Ebony, Sat Nav, Active Locking Rear Diff and Cool Box  
Post #11859711th Jan 2007 1:18 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I had a bottle replaced, and still got the warning, then I checked and added coolant, no problem since.

Don't presume its wrong, you may need a top up.

Post #11860011th Jan 2007 1:28 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If the level has dropped significantly then you need to get the system pressure tested for leaks.

If the level is in between the high and low marks then the sensor in the bottle maybe faulty. It is a known problem and the bottle is usually replaced. Mine had this fault.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #11860311th Jan 2007 2:25 am
dbregman

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

My US version had a sensor issues that was causing the low coolant warning, The dealer replaced the part and fixed it.

Post #11861211th Jan 2007 6:38 am
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Mine has been fixed, topped up (a lot!!) when the message cam e back and still get the message intermittently now.

Will make sure coolant is absolutely on the max fill line this weekend I think!!
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #11862411th Jan 2007 8:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed

England 

This has been happening in the RRS too. There is a TSB on it below:-

Quote:

TSB# LS303-006

SECTION: 303-03
"Low Coolant Level" Message or Warning Lamp Illuminated
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
Range Rover Sport (LS) VIN: 6A900129 to 6A929342
CONDITION SUMMARY:
"LOW COOLANT LEVEL" MESSAGE OR WARNING LAMP ILLUMINATED
Situation: A customer may report that the "Low Coolant" amber warning lamp is illuminated or a "Low Coolant Level" message is displayed in the Message Center when the engine coolant expansion tank volume is within recommended levels.
The coolant level float in the expansion tank can absorb coolant causing the float to sink. The warning lamp and message will display when the float sinks below the low level sensor trigger point.
Action: Should a customer express a concern related to the above condition, within the specified VIN range, refer to the Repair Procedure detailed in this bulletin.
PARTS:
NOTE: The current expansion tank part PCF500015 may be used only if the sticker on the side of the part has a date of 31-10-05 (DD-MM-YY) or later. A newer part PCF500090 may be used when available.
PCF500015..............Coolant expansion tank (dated 31-10-05 or later) Qty 1
PCF500090..............Coolant expansion tank Qty 1
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #11862611th Jan 2007 8:31 am
Jamo

Australia 

They may have actually replaced your coolant bottle with another faulty one!

Land Rover Australia have a policy (like all car makers) to quit the stock on the shelf first -FIFO.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #11864511th Jan 2007 10:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mzaver

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

The Mrs. LR3 is having the coolant problem - but it's an '07. From researching the topic it looked like most of the posts were for '05's. Any '07 owners out there having this problem?

In any case, I'll take what I learned and visit the stealers.

Slightly Off Topic here - but when we had the LR3 in for the coolant problem we asked the stealer to fix the rattling of the LR DVD - they fixed it all right - no more rattling....now we have no power to the unit....adding it to the list
 2007 LR3 HSE - Zermatt Silver Zermatt Silver
2007 LR3 HSE - Stornoway Gray (Mrs.) Bonatti Grey
*Luxury Package (Heated Wind Shield, Heated Seats, Heated Washer Fluid, Adaptive Front Lights and Center Console Cooler Box)* 

Post #24426413th Jan 2008 4:08 am
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Gareth wrote:
I had a bottle replaced, and still got the warning, then I checked and added coolant, no problem since.

Don't presume its wrong, you may need a top up.

Same here, had the coolant bottle replaced, next day got low coolant message, took it to the dealer (they are only a couple of miles down the road) and they topped it up again. Happened again after a few more days, rang them and they said to top it up again as it probably had an air lock which had sorted it self out, since then its's been fine, although they did check the level and strength (with out me asking) last time it was in.
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #24436713th Jan 2008 3:13 pm
Maciek

Poland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Re: Low Coolant Warning

discodownunder wrote:
Had the coolant bottle changed a few months ago but have started getting Low Coolant message again, if the bottle needs topping up does it mean there is a leak? surely it is a sealed system and should not loose liquid? Going in for service on Monday so hopefully get sorted then, any comments before hand would be useful (comments about this topic that is!!!!)

A few months ago I had a similar situation, only my coolant level was dipping at a rate of 1 l per 100 kms. The issue was somewhat more serious - there was a leak within the EGR valva radiator - they queried LR UK and said it was the first it had happened - have your cooling system thouroughly checked.

Cheers

8)
M.

Post #24454313th Jan 2008 9:34 pm
nobbyclark

I have an 05 and got this when driving home last w/e. Shouldn't the coolant have been topped up at the service, which I had a few weeks ago? If so, I wouldn't expect it to be reporting it to be low after less than 1k miles.
 No longer a D3 owner but still subscribed to multiple threads!  
Post #24467514th Jan 2008 6:19 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

What I found is that the level can be seen to be ok, but the float (level sensor) absorbs coolant gradually, so the level may drop very slightly over many months, until the float has absorbed enough coolant to cause it to sink. That's when you start to get the 'Low Coolant' messages, and hopefully the dealer should then replace the coolant header bottle assy for you. Mine was 'loosing' small amounts of coolant for ages, dealer wouldn't do anything other than pressure check it for leaks, until messages started appearing.

Post #24478914th Jan 2008 12:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >