Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Batteries - Sucking the life out of mine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
drivesafe

Australia 

Landylad wrote:
I'll leave that charging a couple of hours and see what it says.

Hi again Landylad and you posted while I was typing.

Try leaving the battery charger connected for at least 10 hours.

Even though the charger may show it’s gone into float, your battery is not fully charged and it takes anything up to 10 hours of constant charging in float mode before a battery reaches a 100% fully charged state ( or there abouts )
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #100915725th Nov 2012 10:07 pm
GlosBoy

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I have same issue with remote climate

If I run it for about 20 minutes and then get in and start up it comes up with low battery and shuts down the sat nav

Our runs are short so guessing I have to either stop using remote climate or connect to battery charger

Rubbish really Big Cry
 D4 HSE - Aintree Green
D4 Orkney my13 - gone
Stornaway D4. Gone, Didn't like it at all
D3 silver manual. Loved my first LR

Post #100916025th Nov 2012 10:10 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I see a lot of batteries that never achieve a full charge. Land Rover quote an 8 hr drive with no additional load to charge a low D3 / D4 battery. If you battery has been sat on a dealer's forecourt for a while and you have only done short winter journeys plus a bit of FBH then it will have taken its toll.

As Drivesafe has said, it takes an age to properly charge a battery when it hits float. A decent charger is a must but test you battery with a proper voltmeter, rather than the type built into a charger and remember that the initial readings post-charge will be false as it will show you the surface charge only. Testing the following day or after running with a load for a bit gives better fidelity.

Ctek chargers are a very popular addition for UK Discovery owners and charging via the tow electrics takes the effort out of it. It also provides a point to power and unlock the car should the battery fail.

The BMS text above is interesting and worth discussing with the dealer.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #100917025th Nov 2012 10:22 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi GlosBoy and the problems caused by short drives and low batteries has always been with us, it’s just that modern vehicles need so much more power just to run everything they have on board.

As for remote climate control, we don’t have it over here so I can’t measure the current draw while it’s on but it would be interesting to see how much of the vehicle’s electronics is woken up to be able to use the remote climate control.
Post #100917325th Nov 2012 10:24 pm
Landylad

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Cheers folks.
I'll leave it on overnight in that case.

Dumb ass question, but the charger has 4 ampage modes - 2, 4, 6, 8. Which one should I choose? It seems to have more power at 8 but is better to charge at lower ampage in order to get that 'trickle' charge rate? The instructions are next to useless. It's a Ring charger - you know, the folk that make the cheap light Rolling Eyes Still, £65 is not exactly cheap. I may box it up and take it back, pretending I never used it and buy a CTEK Whistle
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #100921625th Nov 2012 11:21 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Landylad, the lowest current for the longest time is the best way to charge any lead acid battery.

The only thing to look for is that the charger has a Calcium charging mode, as this is essential to get your cranking battery into a fully charged state and again, the current is not that important, voltage is.

You need a boost charge of at least 15.1v or higher to be able to keep a Calcium/Calcium battery, like your cranking battery, in good condition, long term.
Post #100923726th Nov 2012 12:08 am
grizzlymac

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4

Okay this might be a daft question but how do you charge through the towing socket? Didn't spot an adapter in the add on bitties for the CTEK charger. Do you just make one up with a trailer plug and wire the charger into it. If yes how do you do it as I'm not very good with the squigglies Thanks.

Post #100932126th Nov 2012 11:35 am
SHARKYSHARKS

England 

Yes GM you make your own up get some decent gauge auto cable and a s type plug( the white trailer conn) and use
Pin 4 for the positive
Pin 3 for the earth

I have then used one of the ctek cables connected to the cable, plug it in switch the Ctek to supply and off you go.
I plug mine in every night Whistle
 MY18 D5 HSE LUX😎
MY12 Freelander SD4 HSE
44 Tonne 12 Litre 6x2 Scania T cab (Current)
Freelander 1 (Wrote off 😫)
Ex D1
Ex D2 GS
Ex V8 D2 GS
Ex D3 S
Ex D4 GS
Club skip ya lockers !!!
Club BAS remote heater !!
Club Duratrac
Club Phillips DRL
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 1
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 2
Club Sankey
Club RLD spare wheel protector

Last edited by SHARKYSHARKS on 29th Nov 2012 6:55 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #100932926th Nov 2012 11:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Landylad

OK, update on my battery.

I just received a digital volt meter for plugging in to the cigarette lighter. It registered 12.2 when engine cut and under no load. When I started it up, went up to 13.2 ish, but then the heated windscreens were on, as was radio and probably FBH started up. When I killed all items (apart from FBH), it went up to 14.5-14.8 approx

So, is 12.2 a normal reading you would expect to see under no load and without engine running? This is after me having 'fully charged' the battery last weekend. In saying that, I'm not convinced the charger I bought is actually that good and said FUL when left overnight, but then when I moved crimps slightly, and it went back to under 13.5v on a charge circulation. Probably take it back and end up getting a CTEK.

But on the battery front.... is it maybe that the battery is not up to much, or is something else? I did a reasonable drive on Saturday (100 miles) after having it on charge the night before. Since then, no FBH (other than 10 mins this morning) and regular 20-25 mins trip morning and evening.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #101101229th Nov 2012 12:15 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

grizzlymac wrote:
how do you charge through the towing socket?

See http://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Cha...ing_socket
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #101102329th Nov 2012 12:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pinhead

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

It sounds like the battery is not in very good order I was going to post earlier but thought I would let all the others with there superior knowledge
But I think now it is time to step in you need a new battery you do not do trips that are too short the previous owner may have done and this has shortened the battery's life somewhat the voltage readings above tell me the alternator is fine but the tiered battery is making it work very hard
By the time you have bought a ctec wired up special plugs and messed about you could have put a new battery on for the same cost and have forgotten about this by now
 Club original turbo
161k and counting
general AT's, oval timer, blanked egr's, silicone intercooler hose's 

Post #101104729th Nov 2012 1:19 pm
Landylad

pinhead wrote:
It sounds like the battery is not in very good order I was going to post earlier but thought I would let all the others with there superior knowledge
But I think now it is time to step in you need a new battery you do not do trips that are too short the previous owner may have done and this has shortened the battery's life somewhat the voltage readings above tell me the alternator is fine but the tiered battery is making it work very hard
By the time you have bought a ctec wired up special plugs and messed about you could have put a new battery on for the same cost and have forgotten about this by now

Thanks Pinhead.... I tend to agree with you.

The vehicle is ex LR UK, so they probably just used it for trips down the shops for the bacon rolls every morning Wink It's 21k after 18 months so done a few miles, but I doubt they were very long trips, hence, lik you say, putting drain on battery.

AGM battery me thinks.

I presume batteries are not covered under warranty and form part of the 'wear and tear' fine print?
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #101108029th Nov 2012 2:35 pm
kp

United Kingdom 

err I would be asking for it to be replaced under warranty as off the shelf batteries come with a 3 or 5 yr warranty anyway Smile

Get it to fail again, Call LRA and ask them if they can book you in for a replacement battery to the local stealer. If not just keep calling them out. You pay for the privilage so may as well use it Smile
 FFRR Owner, very nearly became a D3 owner Smile
Test piloted a new D4 XS SDV6.. Gone and being forgotten i hope!!
D4 HSE 10MY
D4 XS 11MY
SSRR Destroyer *2 Smile 

Post #101108529th Nov 2012 2:44 pm
Landylad

It's in to the local stealers tomorrow for towing electric connections, so they're gonna check battery health then.

As you say, if it's goosed, it gets replaced under warranty. If not, weeks upon weeks of proving that it's goosed ensue!! Big Cry
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #101114129th Nov 2012 4:03 pm
Landylad

Another update - after getting towing electrics hooked up, dealers check my battery and said no fault, looks ok.

Told them about Hairy Dan's LR memo about the Battery Monitoring System, and forwarded this on, so they're gonna investigate that side of it.

But still doesn't explain why battery is sitting around 11-12v when I get in.

I'll probably end up buying an AGM battery and saying sod it... I know how enfuriating it is trying to argue the toss with LR dealers about warranty issues.

Anyone recommend a good place to buy a battery, and makes? Euro Car Parts don't stock AGM batteries in D4 size.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #101174030th Nov 2012 3:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >