DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

MY07 TDV6 Engine Noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
razzle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
MY07 TDV6 Engine Noise

I took delivery of my new Disco this week. Very Happy

I have been doing a few short trips to run it in, and have started to notice a real annoying tappet noise in the engine at around 1500-2000 rpm.
I am wondering if any others have noticed this? Or is it normal for a new diesel engine?
I test drove 3 different tdv6 diesel over the last 12 months before ordering and could hardly even hear the engine but so far my car is starting to sounds like a Holden Rodeo.

P.S. does it come with an alarm? I am very time poor these days and haven’t had time to fully play with everything yet

Post #12445327th Jan 2007 11:04 am
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 

see this thread http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post123507.html#123507

Post #12445627th Jan 2007 11:18 am
Turtle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Collected my D 3 last Thursday, TDV6, sounds great when I start it then take off down the road and the tappety noise starts, very light mettalic starts under light throttle. I'm reading its common, but surely not right?? Anyone got any advice?

Post #17742913th Jul 2007 3:05 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I usually hear this noise under light throtlle when the engine is under a little bit of load (say slight gradient in the road).

I honestly think it is quite normal.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #17743213th Jul 2007 4:20 am
Jamo

Australia 

Hello Turtle, welcome aboard! Very Happy Very Happy

That noise sounds normal. I've had what I think you're describing since new. But it should be a very light, tinny sort of noise under light throttle.

If in doubt get it checked out.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #17743513th Jul 2007 5:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Turtle

Took the car to the dealer today, Brit mechanic said def not right, light tappety noise under light throttle, I test drove another TDV6 and whilst similar noise it was no where near as loud or tinny. Mechanic reckons a tappet not taking up the clearence correctly, but surely under load this would be different and would'nt affect?
Anyway dealer has it in tomorrow breaking all the factory seals and gaskets to find out what it is.
Permagrin is still there but juddery wipers and a steering wheel thats not straight and an engine that sounds worse than a Ford Transit and its beginning to fade. Hoping they can quickly sort it without my fragile faith in LR being recked, I really want to like this car.

Post #17846416th Jul 2007 7:04 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Turtle wrote:
Permagrin is still there but juddery wipers and a steering wheel thats not straight and an engine that sounds worse than a Ford Transit and its beginning to fade.

My wheel wasn't straight either. They will do a geometry re-set and a four wheel alignment under warranty. Smile
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #17847616th Jul 2007 8:40 am
razzle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

After having the Disco for nearly 6 months, I must say I don't seem to notice the engine noise anymore.
I spend a lot of time away from home with my work, and lately it is has been a good couple of weeks between drives. When I come back and head out for a drive, I feel like it is my first drive and I am always listening and checking things out and the engine noise does not stand out anymore.

So In conclusion I am not sure if the engine noise has gone away? or if I have changed my driving style? or maybe I don't listen to the engine anymore.
 Trust me, what could go wrong?  
Post #18120824th Jul 2007 8:10 am
Jamo

Australia 

Like caver says, steering wheel not straight probably means wheel alignment - warranty!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #18121424th Jul 2007 8:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Turtle

LR dealer has fixed engine noise , we tinkered and tuned it was the response ! Injectors were the problem? now getting 10.4 l/100k's as apposed to 9.3 l/ 100k's - Must say it does'nt concern me just happy the Disco does'nt sound like a helicopter any more.
Wheel alignment done under warrenty and wheel nearly staright now ! thanks for the heads up. Wiper blades still judder and dealer has 'fixed problem' 3 times now, any ideas is an after market blade better?

Post #18177325th Jul 2007 3:10 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >