DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Whats your fuel consumption?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 10 <12345678910>
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Welcome Jon, you're just up the road from me Thumbs Up
I too have noticed a decrease in economy since the cold weather has set in which I've put down to the FBH getting a lot of use too Confused

Si
 The End  
Post #2923623rd Nov 2005 9:49 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

espri wrote:
Here in Germany fuel consumption is usually given in litres/100 kms instead of the typical British mpg method (sometimes litres/100 kms pops up in this board too). After some head-scratching Confused , I came up with the conversion formula (reasonably accurate) and thought, in case not everyone knows it, I could put it in here, as a sidenote to this thread. The formula works both ways. Generally it is

270 / known => unknown

e.g.

270 / 30 mpg => 9 litres/100 kms

or

270 / 12 litres/100kms => 22.5mpg

Hope my arithmetic's ok!

Eric

Eric,

To join the MPG game (and lets face it, its the real measurement unlike this new fangled decimal stuff) just change your settings in the Settings Menu form ltr/km to MPG.

Smile

Post #2923923rd Nov 2005 9:59 am
BN

England 

Jon wrote:
Hi All – I’m a first time ‘poster’, so go easy on me. I’ve gotta say that finding this site has been a revelation. You regular posters, you know who you are, must be saving LR a fortune in market research (but costing a fortune in obscure requests come service time Wink.

Anyway, the computer in my TDV6 HSE (auto) gets reset each tank full, but I can tell you through the summer the averages were normally 25.5-26.5 per tank and rarely dropped below 25. Highlight was 29.8 over a 1500 mile family holiday from busy Surrey to the glorious Highlands of Scotland via a few golf courses. My mate and his family following in his 2 litre Ford Galaxy couldn’t match it, he didn’t get as much kit on board, they had to thumb a lift off me coz they couldn’t get up rocky track (read gravel driveway) and he had to leave his back row of seats at home.

My normal journey is a fairly easy going 20 miles of low traffic A/B roads all the way to my office, but this week the average is sitting at a lowly 23.8 after 4 days and 200 miles on this current tank. I’m putting this down to the FBH which has been running every morning and most evenings this week.

So now I arrive back where I started because I found this forum whilst looking up ‘Cabin Pre-Heater’ on Google. I still recall the dealers response to my question, “Is a cabin pre-heater available as an option because I didn’t see anything on the website or the documentations LR sent me?” “Well Sir, cabin pre-heating is standard on this HSE.” He has a snotty gram on its way to him as we speak. My aim is some free service vouchers and an apology from my dealer whilst I wait for BN to sort out a fix because he seems to know what he talking about.

Future posts will be shorter… I promise.

Welcome Jon, I am merely relaying data from experts. I have also been the test bed for the remote system. When I bought my first D3, the ad on the LR web site definately stated pre-heater. I also wrote to my dealer to ensure it worked ex of vehicle running and they endorsed it. It did not, so I received a nice compensation package from both the dealer and LR, but I did not ask for it and would not have, they volunteered it.

However I decided to try to get the facts, which I have done, you know the rest. Fantastic vehicle and I am sure you will be impressed, enjoy.

Post #2924123rd Nov 2005 10:04 am
Jon

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the welcome...

Another thought on the MPG decline since the weather has got cold. For sure the FBH doesn’t help, but also the tyre pressure will also be down. It all adds up.
 A lone Disco in the land of the Cayenne.  
Post #2930623rd Nov 2005 2:34 pm
BN

England 

Jon wrote:
Thanks for the welcome...

Another thought on the MPG decline since the weather has got cold. For sure the FBH doesn’t help, but also the tyre pressure will also be down. It all adds up.

You are spot on there. The FBH will burn until the engine reaches a temperature that the car can sustain its own heating system at. In towns this could be 15 miles or more as LR's traditionally run cold when on tickover revs. That is another reason why the FBH was fitted.

Post #2930723rd Nov 2005 2:39 pm
adara

Romania 

I'm still at 16.6 MPG after 300 miles. Could it be because of the heater? How much does it take? By the way there's a great fuel consumption converter at http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/fuel

Post #2932723rd Nov 2005 7:14 pm
BN

England 

adara wrote:
I'm still at 16.6 MPG after 300 miles. Could it be because of the heater? How much does it take? By the way there's a great fuel consumption converter at http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/fuel

adara, can't recall if your car is auto or manual. I believe it is auto, in which case it will be lower. You may also find that you will use oil for the first 6000K as it soaks into the engine.

Yes that is a good converter, I have marked it for the future.

Post #2934123rd Nov 2005 8:33 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Converters for everything here http://www.onlineconversion.com
 The End  
Post #2934423rd Nov 2005 8:38 pm
simon

Slimer wrote:
Converters for everything here http://www.onlineconversion.com

And for those with a Mac... there's a Widget built in that converts more or less anything to anything else with auto currency updates Smile

Post #2934523rd Nov 2005 8:42 pm
croyde

Ours is averaging 16 now Mad but this is the first tank of only school and shopping runs, all around town.

So what is this FBH, what does it stand for and what does it do? Is it why we get exhaust from the front of the car and the feeling of getting gased when warming up.

Post #2934623rd Nov 2005 8:45 pm
adara

Romania 

Hello BN! Yes, it is an auto. Had the service check the car today, everything OK. They mentioned the oil consumption too. Said that if after 1000 miles consumption does not lower they will try a reset. Could this help?

Post #2934723rd Nov 2005 8:46 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

BN wrote:
adara wrote:

adara, can't recall if your car is auto or manual. I believe it is auto, in which case it will be lower. You may also find that you will use oil for the first 6000K as it soaks into the engine.

Do they all use oil to begin with as I checked mine after 1000 miles and it had used none at all should I be concerned ? Shocked Laughing
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #2935123rd Nov 2005 8:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

croyde wrote:
Ours is averaging 16 now Mad but this is the first tank of only school and shopping runs, all around town.

So what is this FBH, what does it stand for and what does it do? Is it why we get exhaust from the front of the car and the feeling of getting gased when warming up.

FBH - Fuel Burning Heater

In reality this is automatic and helps the engine warm up (thus faster warm air into cabin) at temps of 8 degrees or below. Turns off when engine at preset temp.

Yes you will see the exhaust from the FBH coming form under the left side wing. Look behind the wheel and you will see the exhaust tube behind the plastic wheel arch cover next to the engine bay.

Post #2935323rd Nov 2005 8:59 pm
simon

[quote="Cliff H"]
BN wrote:
adara wrote:

Do they all use oil to begin with as I checked mine after 1000 miles and it had used none at all should I be concerned ? Shocked Laughing

Mine uses hardly any oil... and racked up 30K miles now. So don't worry, I'm sure its getting into the engine Wink

-s

Post #2935423rd Nov 2005 9:00 pm
bookert

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi, similarly to Jon I'm also a first timer. Getting back to fuel consumption I suppose with a vehicle weight the best part of 3 tonnes our expectations shouldn't be too high. I've had a D3 since the middle of September but do not cover that many miles, having only covered 700 in that time. Many journeys are short, country lanes, to the village, occasionally to the school etc but we still manage to average 26-28mpg, and 30+ if we get a half decent run along A roads. I'll be interested to see what we get on a longer journey, the first of which will be to Eastnor in December. Car hasn't been used for a few weeks so don't know how the FBH in the colder weather will effect the figures but I can see that we could be hit quite hard due to the short journeys.

However, considering the type of driving we do and and the few miles we have driven I've nothing to complain about. I drive a manual S by the way so this could easily tie in with the thought that the higher range models use more fuel.

Tim

Post #2977925th Nov 2005 2:57 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >