DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Major Engine Failures - TDV6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Katazo

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Engine failure

HI LeighW

My story below ( as posted on the SA forum )might be of interest to you.

I have been down that road as well, a ten month long road and the end not yet in sight.

On my birthday 6 Jan 2013 i bought myself a gift, ( from me to myself ) a TdV6 se D3 with 189000km on the clock. A bit high but the salesman showed me the oil test which was good and the car was in great condition overall etc.
After getting home (+- 500km s ) two days later i noticed that there is no indication of oil in the engine. The dipstick was dry. I phoned the dealer and we agreed that i put in some oil which i did and took it to a local indy for a service and to see if he could see a problem.
Service done and no obvious problem according to my local indy.
On 8 Feb i was on my way back again from Pretoria and at the Sasol station at Secunda we checked the oil level and filled the tank with diesel. +- 80 km s further a once off clank sound and dead was the motor. Oil drained from the motor, i could not see exactly from where but we were stuck.
We took the car back home on a trailer and i phoned the dealer who then took the car back to a well known indy in Randburg.
Long story short, lack of oil caused the bearing to cease and a conrod to break which damaged the head end knocked a hole in the block.
Dealer refused to pay my money back or to pay for repairs and referred the matter to the ombudsman.
The CPA provides for a period of six months as a "cool down period"
Only at the end of August the Ombutsman made a ruling whereas i have to pay 30% of the repair cost and the dealer 70%.
He said i must have foreseen the problem (i don't know how) and not drive the vehicle to destruction. As if one would do that to your own car.
A month later another motor in and only then i realized that something with the original engine must have been wrong from day one. The new one, although second hand, was pulling like a dream and much lighter on diesel.
I drove it back home with a great feeling of, this is what i had hoped for when i bought the car.
As advised by the indy i took the D3 to the exhaust shop to take out the cat and he noticed a leak at the turbo charger.
Low and behold the next day on came the rising slowly and suspension fault warnings and a "clank" sound a couple of seconds after you shut down the car.
Back to Randburg and after another two weeks the indy fixed the leak but as he said he is only responsible for the engine part of the problem.
Turned out the compressor was beyond repair, the clank sound came from the transfer case and the steering slip ring was faulty as well.
Who was to pay for this.
Back to the dealer who replied that it was more than six months since i bought the car, he is not responsible any longer.
I only had the use of my vehicle for 8 weeks since i bought it. These new problems would have shown within the six months if the car was running. I did not waste time on this issue.
What now?
Back to the Ombutsman and a couple of months of waiting again i suppose.

Post #117067211th Oct 2013 2:20 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for your reply Katazo.

Your story is very distressing but now there are some disconcerting stories appearing about these very complex vehicles.

My new engine is purring like they should but every time I hear a different noise from under the bonnet (hood, if you have an North American leaning <g>) I have mild palpitations. The sheer joy of driving the D3 soon overcomes that feeling...

On another note, I have upgraded my EAS compressor to the current AMK (+software) and have not had any problems with it in almost 6 000km. Maybe that is an option for you.

From forums like this and anecdotal info I have noted that about 80 TDV6s around the world have had their engines fail in a similar manner to mine but considering that over 500 000 have been manufactured the odds are not so bad.

Best of luck getting your vehicle sorted.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #117092812th Oct 2013 3:10 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Clarification - the info I got about "different crankshaft and bearings" for later engines has NOT been confirmed.

I simply do not know if there have been any internal changes to the 2.7 litre engine. Other sites give details of external changes but they are not relevant to the type of failure mine experienced.

I do believe the bearings and crankshaft are manufactured as a complete matched set which is matched to the "web" that supports the crank in the engine block.

That could possibly explain why the bearings have been a long time coming as a replacement parts and why Land Rover (read Ford - it is a Ford developed and built engine) would not sell anything other than an engine block if you needed to replace the bearings or crankshaft.

If you are aware of info to the contrary, please post it here.
 LeighW

* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #117092912th Oct 2013 3:19 am
Katazo

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Indeed so every sound is now of major concern, but i suppose it will get better with time.
Got the AMK fitted just now and that solved some problems but the dreaded HDC fault still there.

I am going to tow my caravan in January and we will see what the D3 is up to.
Keep weel

Post #117108812th Oct 2013 3:26 pm
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Off Topic Katazo good hear from a D3 owner in Vryheid! My home town! Thumbs Up
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #117463119th Oct 2013 6:29 pm
ronster

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

CXD

Last edited by ronster on 30th Dec 2013 11:47 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #120753826th Dec 2013 5:09 am
Neil Pettersen

Your car's worth about $10k more than the engine replacement cost : cold , hard truth.
How long do you keep a car ? It's over 7 already , isn't it ? If I were acting soon , I'd be acting now !

Post #120753926th Dec 2013 6:02 am
ronster

CXD

Last edited by ronster on 30th Dec 2013 11:47 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #120754026th Dec 2013 7:00 am
Neil Pettersen

I'm out too whenever this one's run its time .

Post #120754126th Dec 2013 7:32 am
MarkOne

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Ronster don't think by buying a Toyota that your problems will cease. A good friend of mine had a 2010 Rav4 and it blew up with 27k on the clock. Rod right through the block, when the dealer saw it he said he was surprised it was a Rav4 as it's normally the Landcruiser that does that. Shocked

Yes on a whole the Toyota is reliable, but there still not without there problems and there big ones.

Plus there a lifeless soulless article, and there not a Land Rover Thumbs Up

Post #120754826th Dec 2013 8:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I'm thinking that ignoring a number of coolant warnings and relying on "is the reservoir full" as a diagnostic may also be part of the problem here. If you take the same approach with a Toyota you'll get the same result.

Your AU$, your choice Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #120756326th Dec 2013 10:21 am
ronster

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by ronster on 30th Dec 2013 11:48 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #120782527th Dec 2013 12:49 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Well ronster, from reading about your sudden loss of coolant I would be getting the oil tested to see if there is any metal, etc. in it. Engine overheating brings a rapid degradation of the oil. This could indicate damage that would require a rebuild or replacement or overhaul of selected component(s) (HPFP, turbo, etc.) Even a simple check of the dipstick observing for anything untoward would be a easy way to start.

I have read about the coolant becoming thicker over time causing rear cylinders to suffer damage and you might be able to get this info from an oil test.

I would also stop using the vehicle until I was assured that it was OK to carry on with normal running.

Best of luck (as I know how expensive an engine replacement is... Big Cry )
 LeighW

Post #120782827th Dec 2013 1:02 am
ronster

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by ronster on 30th Dec 2013 11:51 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #120782927th Dec 2013 1:21 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Had same failure in my D3
SWMBO (bless her heart) was smart and stopped and rang me. Cat towed to stealer for new manifold. If overheats too much D3 should go into engine fault mode and light will come on. Mine didn't.
No probs since.
Change oil as it obviously got too hot (oil light) Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #120783227th Dec 2013 1:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >