Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Oil pump casing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Tony, mine is def in the 7a range and I've spoken to at least three others with the same range to help them get LR to cough up....

That comment was Steve Normans specific experience of the failures he had worked on at t hat moment in time.

I know you're trying for the positive outlook, but the fact is, most 7a have been fine, but a small percentage have failed catastrophically... Can you afford for the sake of a few hundred quid to take the risk. I certainly wouldn't if I had known then what I know now....
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #116464629th Sep 2013 2:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Before this seemed to become quite such a big issue, I had done 3 belts on 07/08MY's.

All cars are still running with no issues.

Seems to be no real specific reason as to how, or why they they fail, or which ones will fail Confused
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #116464829th Sep 2013 2:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

DiscoM is right, there is no rhyme or reason why exactly some fail in this chassis range. I have had some cars in both 7a and 8a chassis ranges fail, but others have been perfectly fine.

It is obvious what has been beefed up on thoses suspect pumps, with extra webbing, so why take the risk? If it was my own vehicle in the 7 or 8a range, I would be renewing the belt and oil pump as soon as I bought it, regardless of mileage, I just wouldn't want to take the risk of trashing a perfectly good engine. The two I originally wrote about were 55,000 miles ish when failed.
All the 05 and 06 chassis ranges don't seem to be affected, and I have done many belt changes of those.
I suspect the only reason they have superceeded those pumps is just to tidy the part numbers up to a common supply now they have beefed them up.

Regards
Steve

Post #116465729th Sep 2013 3:34 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I strongly agree with the above!

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #116466429th Sep 2013 3:58 pm
blogtrotter

France 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hy! I have the chance to have in hand the official Ford Motor Company drawing of the OIL PUMP ASSY

last update in 20070223 (ref 4R8Q-6600-AE) mention "added ribs on tensioner boss"

will change the OIL PUMP ASSY in few week on my 07MY with LR013487 at the same time of my timing belt ... become to be urgent, milage is exceeded Whistle
also will look at Peugeot (my company) the latest after market part number

Wink
 ex LR 110 SW TD4, new D3 SE SEVEN Automatic Smile  
Post #11656101st Oct 2013 3:55 pm
Bumper

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Reading through this I wonder whether I should be worried.

Mine is MY08. Chassis 8A in the bracket of reported failures I gather. I have 70,000 on the clock and I wasn't planing to change my belts as yet.

What do people reckon? Hold out til 105K or age limit or get the belts and casing done now as a preventative measure?

PS - Warranty Direct cover in place.

Post #119551430th Nov 2013 8:19 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Make sure your warranty direct cover specifically covers CASINGS.

If it does, you should be OK. If not, have it changed early Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #119553430th Nov 2013 8:42 pm
Bumper

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Oil pump casing

Thanks for the reply Mikey.

My cover says - 'Casings are covered providing they have been damaged as a direct result of the covered failure failure of an insured part'. All a bit devil in the detail for me!

Whadyathink?!

Post #119553830th Nov 2013 8:54 pm
disco5

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think my self as having a casing failure after cam belt change .
Not knowing there was a problem before with casings in my vin range i would have changed it rather than it shearing off and wrecking my engine.....knowledge theres a problem leaves it up to the individual what to do ,to change sooner rather than the latter ????
But the you have warranty so not really a problem would be more of a hassle and inconvience without your motor .
Only my opinion Thumbs Up

Post #119555530th Nov 2013 9:14 pm
eljot

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

gents,

would like to replace my oil pump when doing the timing belt and do not know if i really need the flywheel locking tool 303-1123 or if the tool 303-1117 is strong enough to deal with the massive moment during tightening the crankshaft-nut!? Shocked
dont want to shear off the pin from the tool 303-1117! Big Cry

for the front seal, are these nice tools also required!? guess the seal installer (303-1121) would ne helpfull, but the others??? Yawn

thx, martin

Click image to enlarge

Post #11957381st Dec 2013 11:41 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Martin

The tool is fine for locking and tightening the crank bolt, as for the seal tools you don't really need them but it does help, the problem is getting hold of them I have had them on order for two months now and still not got any news on when they will come..

If your careful you can manage without, I have done half a dozen casings now and have had two seals leak after. But I think its the seals they seem to get very hard and stiff if they have been laying around for some time..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #11957391st Dec 2013 11:51 am
eljot

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Flack,

the question is if i really need this locking tool or if the tool for the timing belt change (303-1117) is also strong enough, as i dont want to buy tools if they are not really necessary!! Very Happy

you mean the front seal is hard to get!?
by the way, why does the seal need to get installed with the casing already mounted? Rolling Eyes

thx, martin

Post #11957421st Dec 2013 11:57 am
stchris

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've just put a new oil pump on mine and trying to see another way to lock the crank while tightening the crank bolt, the engine is on a stand at the moment so when I've finished my tea and toast it's back out to the garage.
I didn't bother with the tool for the seal, i just left it on a radiator for a while to warm up and a slight application of vaseline to the pulley.(time will tell)!

I'm also not convinced the crank locking tool (the timing one) would survive tightening the crank pulley Confused

Post #11957731st Dec 2013 12:57 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Guys the timing locking tool is fine for tightening up the crank bolt, it is what I use its fine..

@eljot no the seal is easy to get its just it seems to harden if left to long before you fit it. You have to fit the seal after the casing as you need the white plastic spacer to align the horse shoe drive that locates on the crank that drives the pump.

@stchris It does help if you warm it up...

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #11957921st Dec 2013 1:52 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

My own opinion is I'd rather use the correct locking tool, but then I do have all the special tools for the job. Wink

A word of warning Topix does state that no oil or lubricant should be used on the front seal as it is specially coated and can cause failure. Not sure what is special... It looks dry to me.

You can't fit the seal until after as the plastic tool for aligning the crank to oil pump drive needs to be located as it's fitted, then the seal can go in.

Regards
Steve

Post #11958431st Dec 2013 4:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >