DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Towing set up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Matt_Canada

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Towing set up

Hi. Any towing experts out there?

I've purchased a 25 foot travel trailer (big caravan) to pull behind my 05 V8 HSE. There seems to be all sorts of conflicting information and advice about trailering large loads behind the Disco 3. What we are planning is listed below - would be really interested if anyone has a view on whether this will work or not and if there's anything we should be doing differently.

- I am having the LR OEM trailer wiring harness fitted to the existing (hopefully) pre-wiring
- I have ordered the brake controller wiring to connect dash socket to brake controller from a Ford F150 (will fit apparently)
- I wil buy and fit an off the shelf brake controller to connect to the dash with the wiring from the F150
- I am not fitting an auxiliary transmission cooler because apparently the D3 has one already and it's good enough for what we need
- I am not fitting a weight distribution hitch as this messes with the self-levelling air suspension apparently

So basically, fitting the brake controller, connecter and 7 pin trailer harness means we are good to go?

The weight of the trailer (dry) is 4500 lbs so with all of our stuff and water, add another 1000lbs or so.

I have had one dealer tell me that we need the car reprogramming to tow to avoid warnings on the dash whereas another said it would be fine. Any thoughts on that?

Without the weight distribution hitch, I'm concerned that we'll have a 5500lb load flapping around on the back of the car with nothing but a ball hitch to hold it steady? Surely that can't be right? Shocked

Any thoughts on this appreciated, especially from anyone that's done a similar setup. Cheers.

Matt

Post #65904810th Jun 2010 6:33 pm
bambi

England 

Not really too sure what the brake controller is, over here caravans usually around 3600-4000ibs towed on the usual 50mm (2") tow hitch but with either a friction hitch (alko) or a steel stabiliser bar again works on friction. to resist snaking on the caravan. Set the nose weight to caravan max and away we go.

my caravan is 22ft inc drawbar medium sized. only 3000lbs

standard electrics, standard towball, disco takes care of the towing.

Usually dealer activates the tow electrics so the disco doesnt put the fogs on the car when trailer coupled up etc.

Post #65906410th Jun 2010 7:05 pm
al cope

England 

some of the Ozzy guys might be able to help, but in the UK, we dont have the use brake coupling syetems to hook up. My caravan is 1800kg (so approx 3960LBs) and 7.97Mtrs (29Ft) and nothing needs doing to the D3 to tow this. You can have the towing electics enabled by the dealer, but this is just to turn off things like rear parking sensors when your trailer is attached. You dont actually need the dealer to do anything.

hope that helps

Alan
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #65910410th Jun 2010 8:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Matt_Canada

Thanks for your input guys.

Alan - so your caravan - how does it brake without a brake controller or something to tell it when and how hard to apply the brakes?

I wonder if I actually need the brake controller part. I don't think a NA spec LR3 would have a particularly different towing/braking capability to a UK Disco 3. But here, for whatever reason, everyone seems to have a brake controller...

Post #65985313th Jun 2010 7:15 am
dogexplo

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Matt,
In the UK our trailers have an overrun brake system,basically this means that the hitch mounting is part of a piston style setup,so that when the towing vehicle brakes,the weight of the trailer pushing against the hitch puts the piston into compression.This in turn is linked via rods and cables to the rear brake drums activating the rear brake shoes.
Clear as mud!
A quick google search of overrun brakes will no doubt give a more technically correct answer.

PS.I'm only awake at this time on a sunday morning as I've been wakened by the sound of the rain battering down on the roof of my caravan in St Andrews,Scotland. Sad

Graeme
 2007 TDV6 XS Auto.
Colour coded door handles
Colour coded tailgate handle
Colour coded wheel arches
Clear LR repeaters
LR sidesteps
110 Mudflaps 

Post #65986013th Jun 2010 8:35 am
bambi

England 

Well done Matt you beat me too it, but a pretty accurate explanation.

Post #65986313th Jun 2010 8:54 am
al cope

England 

thats about it Thumbs Up

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #65987013th Jun 2010 9:23 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I tow and enclosed single car transporter which around 3200kg - 3500kg and 3m high can certainly waggle around, however, solved the problem using one of these, not weight limit - one size fits all Thumbs Up

http://www.sasproducts.com/acatalog/Straightliner_Stabiliser.html

keeps the trailer true and prevents side winds when articulated lorries pass you or you pass them

Post #66010213th Jun 2010 9:07 pm
Matt_Canada

Thanks. The UK inertia system sounds more sensible than an aftermarket brake controller.

I purchased the Ford generic brake controller adapter this weekend and this brake controller:

http://www.tekonsha.com/product/details.as...p;cat=1435.

I pulled down the removable panel under the steering column and after slicing fingers and knuckles on various sharp bits, found the female socket for the Ford brake controller adapter/harness. Connected it all up, attached the brake controller to the dash and it all seems to work. For future reference, it's grey, has 5 pins and is tucked behind the brake pedal arm so you have to get your hand behind there and carefully pull out the cable.

Given that you don't want to stop the brake pedal from travelling through its full range of motion, it makes sense to use strong cable ties to make sure the harness and connecter are held clear of the brake - it's probably would be fine but you don't want to take any chances with braking.

I re-read the owners' manual which makes no mention of a brake controller or the socket. A trailer dealer quoted me $800 to supply and fit a brake controller, splicing into the electrics and running new wires to the back of the car. Oh the sweet joy of forums like this Smile

Incidentally, I removed the headlight/vent trim cover to get a better view and it had 'Ford' stamped on the back. Brought a smile to my face.

Post #66055314th Jun 2010 7:28 pm
Matt_Canada

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I just wanted to post follow up on my tow set up for anyone who has a similar requirement. Firstly, I can confirm that it is possible to buy an off the shelf electric brake controller (North American markets only), bolt this onto the dash and connect to the pre-wired harness under the steering column using a Ford harness connector available from any good towing electrics retailer. It requires no calibration set up or interference from a stealer.

You can then buy the rear wiring harness which connects to the system via a connector behind the rear light cluster. The wiring between the front of the car and the rear is pre-existing - I assume in all markets - but this is certainly the case in NA.

Once the two parts are connected, attach a suitable hitch (a whole other can of worms) and you are good to go. The LR3 knows that it is towing and automagically lights up the trailer light on the dash when you are indicating (in case you forget you are towing a 27 foot trailer).

In researching this, I was twice told by a dealer that you must go to them to have this done so they can reprogram the ECU with the 'tow settings'. I can confirm that assuming you use an OEM towing harness at the rear, this is total b*ll*cks.

The LR3 comfortably trailers our GVW of around 6500lbs. You cannot use a weight distribution hitch because of the air suspension. We have an aftermarket adjustable sway controller fitted but I have to say this makes only the slightest difference and the LR3 is very capable at 70mph towing a pretty hefty load.

The only downside of course is fuel economy. I'm getting about 10pmg although if i slow to 55 to 60, I can get this to about 13.

Some people recommend using sport mode to permanently hold a lower gear. i find with my V8, that's not really necessary. It does help if you find yourself stuck behind a truck going up a hill though - without changing down, your ability to pass is zero.

Suffice to say, if anyone has a Disco 3/LR 3 and is worried about towing - don't be. It's an absolute towing beast of a car.

Post #67031410th Jul 2010 6:25 am
bbyer

Model number of brake controller?

I wondered if you have the make and or model number of the brake controller that you installed. Did you purchase it from Ford or one of the after market trailer guys?

Also, how many connections does the factory trailer harness that you purchased have? I have seen plugs with 7 terminals, others with 13, and then of course the simple ones with four, just for the lights. I wondered if your connector had round pins or was the blade type.

It seems that each country has a different style connector so I wondered what was common for Calgary, or I guess North America.

I have yet to install the trailer harness - kind of next project - so it was nice to see your post as what you did will definitely work for me.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #67036510th Jul 2010 1:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >