Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Tyre Wear as per http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic5553.htm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
rsp

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Tyre Wear as per http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic5553.htm

I am interested to hear from anyone that has tyre wear issues as per the topic: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic5553.html

I have checked the D3 vin and it falls in the range VINS 5A000360 to 6A403382 as posted on the above thread.

Wear was noticable when swapping to off-road wheels and tyres after limited kms, around 7,500kms. Subsequently I decided to get a wheel alignment, which I had done and was told that the set up had not been that great.

Recently after hearing of the tyre wear issue, I approached dealer about application of bulletin LA 204-005 and also possible compensation for tyre wear. No acknowledgment that there is a problem, the usual story but issue of compensation was subsquently forwarded, apparently, to LRA but no word so far.

On contacting the dealer, there was no offer to sort out the geometry as per the bulletin. I am not sure whether it is something that the alignment would have fixed as I have had the off-road tyres on since the alignment and such wear is not obvious on the harder compound Cooper STTs.
 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, Auto, White, Rear Diff Lock. ARB BB, Traxide DBS, GME TX3540S, Safari Snorkel, IIDTool-BT, Doran TPMS, Rijidij Spare Wheel Carrier, Two side by side Drifta drawers, cargo barrier and drop down fridge slide, ARB 47l Fridge, Yokohama A/Ts and out of date 17" Cooper STTs.  
Post #1272854th Feb 2007 2:06 am
sijui

Australia 2006 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

I experienced excessive tyre wear, inner rears, and discovered that the rear cambers were negative 1 degree 40 minutes nearly 4 times the spec of about - 30'
I had done nearly 12000 kms at this stage and the dealer was not interested saying that LRA were not compensating and in any case I had done >10000 kms

To add insult to injury the dealer doesn't have wheel alignment equipment and I had to get the dealer to set it up (apparently there is a special wheel alignment height that the suspension must be set to with Land rover computers) and then drive across the road to a friendly tyre shop that were really good and interested in something diffeent. I am glad to say that the car handles better with the correct wheel alignment (less jittery at the back when going over cattle grids and corrugations)

I reckon I am owed the cost of the wheel alignment and about the cost of one new tyre. I intend to keep this for barganing in case a major issue needs them to be reasonable for a change

Post #1272894th Feb 2007 4:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

If your dealer won't help call LRA direct. Email photos of the tyres. Don't take no for an answer. I have 2 new tyres on their way and I had a lot more than 10k on the tyres, but they did look like Jamo's.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #1272934th Feb 2007 7:04 am
Jamo

Australia 

I'm having mine corrected on Mon 12th.

Resetting the geometry is a 1.8hr job, but setting it up is a 5hr job.

I'll let you know the outcome.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #1273074th Feb 2007 10:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dukemasterpro

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Hi -

I'm new to this forum but saw this thread after some fellow drivers on a tagalong pointed out how uneven the rears were, worn on the inside as a lot of others in the thread.

I'm curious to know if a dealer will cover realignment as part of the warranty? And if not how much to expect.

BTW - The tyres have 28,000 mainly city km's on them, with a little gravel driving and some real off road. Also little weight and only towed once.

Appreciate any feedback as I don't want to get stitched up or have a new pair go the same way.

Post #1273584th Feb 2007 1:48 pm
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Tyre Wear as per http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic5553

rsp wrote:
.....On contacting the dealer, there was no offer to sort out the geometry as per the bulletin......

RSP, I have a similar problem with my front tyres showing the first signs of uneven wear and was about to contact ULR (malvern) to discuss the solution. Am interested to know if you are dealing with same dealer..??? I have only travelled 16000kms and have been keeping an eye on the wear, however a change in road noise (woo wooo humming!!) at 100km/hr made me take a closer look at the tyre wear yesterday..and sure enought the tread wear indicators have dissapeard on the inside.

Thanks
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #1275545th Feb 2007 3:22 am
DiscoAtom

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

dukemasterpro- if your Disco is still under warranty you shouldn't have to pay for the wheel realignment. When I took mine in for service they check my wheel alignment as part of warranty work.
 '06 Disco 3 TDV6 SE Buckingham Blue  
Post #1275555th Feb 2007 3:39 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Same here no problem from dealer. Had my alignment done as soon as I noticed uneven wear. They have done two full alignments. Tyre wear now even. No need for new tyres but mine have worn evenly but now need new ones at 25,000km. Shocked
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #1275665th Feb 2007 6:33 am
rsp

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Tyre Wear

Hi all

Looks like a "hot" topic, or maybe just a wearing one (ha ha), judging by the number responses!

I have managed to get the dealer to look at fixing it, sorry cannot give any names, but only after I asked the question, again.

It seems that there is a lack of initiative with the warranty work. You would think that they would check all relevant bulletins, something my dealer says they do, rather than wait until contacted and then try fobbing you off. Although given the time it takes to do the job, I can see that they may not be keen to volunteer. I suspect that some dealers are so used to dealing with disgruntled customers that it is like water off a duck's back with a typical response being to deny that there is a problem at all!

I will do as suggested, which is to email a photo of the worn tyres. Is there any particular contact at LRA as if we all hit the same person, we might get a speedier and a consistent response?
 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, Auto, White, Rear Diff Lock. ARB BB, Traxide DBS, GME TX3540S, Safari Snorkel, IIDTool-BT, Doran TPMS, Rijidij Spare Wheel Carrier, Two side by side Drifta drawers, cargo barrier and drop down fridge slide, ARB 47l Fridge, Yokohama A/Ts and out of date 17" Cooper STTs.  
Post #1275735th Feb 2007 8:23 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >