Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Unleaded in a Deisel Engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Sebbo

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Unleaded in a Deisel Engine

Sad After a long and wet journey through west country, stopped at a Shell Garage to fill up.
Automatically picked up the black handle with the black hose to fill thinking it was deisel fuel.

74 ltrs later paid at counter. Drove up A303 in Somerset. 2/3 of mile up road car started loosing power, managed to make it to a layby. Suspected that I had somehow put Unlead into engine, but how could I I used the black nozzle bla bla bla.

Turns out Shell Vpower fuel has a black hose and black and green nozzle with a small unleaded badge next to it.

Have I scewed my engine or will LR be able to drain and clear and refil. They are giving me the fear by saying that it is contaminated but I would have thought that by draining the leads etc and regreasing the engine it should be fine?

Help.

Post #18089523rd Jul 2007 2:42 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Sorry to be so blunt, but its going to be expensive if you want to keep a Land Rover warranty. Check your insurance, as there are a few on here that have done this and sucessfully claimed the cost back for an accidental misfuel. The bill will be £1000's if you ran it until it lost power and stopped.

Common rail diesel engines do not like petrol at all, and there are lots of components involved.

Once again, very sorry, and I sympathise that it is a far too easy mistake to make.

Post #18090023rd Jul 2007 2:53 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

When BP had their little mishap with the colouring of their ultimate pumps they accepted liability for misfuels and changed their labelling. It would be worth speaking with Shell's Customer Services to outline the problem and seek their comments. Whatever you do, keep the receipt that shows the pump number used if you have it and if possible take some pics of the pump. I'm not usually in favour of the "it can't be my fault" approach to life, but Shell really shoud accept some responsibility for using a black hose and nozzle; it's just asking for trouble!
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #18094923rd Jul 2007 4:32 pm
gesoono

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

sorry to hear about this, having done it myself I know exactly how you will be feeling. Check with your insurer as they may cover the costs £6.5k+. I had Zurich and all it cost me was £100 excess. Hope you are as lucky. Sad
 Fuji White, Auto with Surround Camera  
Post #18112923rd Jul 2007 10:21 pm
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

This certainly isn't the first time that's happened..

Isn't it time diesel fuel nozzles had different shapes to petrol fuel nozzles, making misfuelling virtually impossible...? Thud
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #18116523rd Jul 2007 10:42 pm
SN

They are different sized - just the wrong way round Rolling Eyes - this is a hangover from the switchover from 4-star to unleaded...

sticking 4-star in an unleaded motor killed the catalytic convertor I believe so the unleaded nozzles were made smaller to stop people sticking a 4 star nozzle in...

nobody thought ahead did they?
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #18117023rd Jul 2007 10:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JMC

Scotland 

Problem here is very simple..... The damn fuel companies Shocked

They won't talk to eachother to come up with any degree of commonality in regards to fuel type marking. They all want to steel a march on eachother with what is essentially the same product.

You can't put DERV into an unleaded car because the diesel nozzle is larger than the cars unleaded tube. However, the laws of physics dictate the reverse is always possible.

WHY WHY WHY don't they make it Black, Green, & Blue for Diesel, Unleaded and Racing Fuel Twisted Evil

Perhaps Blue with pink spots for Shell Max Power and Blue with red lines for Esso Sooper Dooper. But NO......

Reason - The culture of the management systems in these companies dictate that every couple of years a new spotty graduate appears who has never had a job before and probably has never driven a car. He is then expected to come up with a new marketing strategy to make his (or her) name in the business.

Best people to come up with a system would be the tanker drivers - as their jobs depend on putting the right stuff in the hole, however, they don't have degrees in 'street mime & dance', so they are not qualified to make decisions....... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #18117123rd Jul 2007 11:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

a better option might be to have the deisel pumps seperate from the petrol pumps altogether.

Post #18118824th Jul 2007 1:22 am
DiscoStu

England 

The new Mondeo prevents you from filling with the wrong fuel. I don't know if its the same system as the FFRR.
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #18119424th Jul 2007 6:39 am
noizeman

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Expect bill for around £6500. Been there mate - got the tea-shirt!

noizeman

Post #18176925th Jul 2007 12:39 am
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Shocked Shocked Shocked
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #18250125th Jul 2007 11:35 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Yup, that figure made me spill my tea too. Shocked
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #18297226th Jul 2007 7:48 pm
d3syd

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Damn damn damn!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I just did it as well. Was in a hurry to catch a plane to Sydney, went to my local BP, my mind was a million miles away. I realised after 30 litres of unleaded when into the tank. I didn't start the car so engine will be ok.

Is there an easy way to drain the tank or will it need major work? Will the local garage be able to do it or do I need to get it to the nearest LR dealer (150km away)?
 '06 TDV6 SE AUTO BUCKINGHAM BLUE
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL
'08 BMW 135i Coupe Twin Turbo 

Post #18811011th Aug 2007 11:13 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >