DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Urgent Help Needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Husky

Australia 
Urgent Help Needed

Hi guys,
I would really appreciate your quick help with this one as in a bit over 24hrs it will be too late.

We have been waiting nearly 2 months for our new D3 to arrive. After signing an initial contract with the dealer no suitable vehicle could be found so an order had to be placed. We agreed verbally to pay any increase in RRP that may occur between the vehicles order and pick up. I thought this was the best way to do it as the RRP is transparent for all to see and that there would be no 'hidden' additional costs after the long wait.

Dealer rings yesterday and says that he has just got pricing news and that there is no increase in RRP. BUT There is an increase passed on to them from Land Rover of $1300 because the build year of the vehicle has changed from 05 to 06. The vehicle ordered was an 06 model (model year starts here in Sep) and the vehicle we will be receiving is still an 06 model, the only change is build year.

Could anybody with some inside knowledge please tell me if they have heard of prices changing to dealers based on build date and not based on model year? It all sounds strange to me and even though its not what we agreed on we are not trying to make a gain based on their loss if it is a legitimate cost. Are we being ripped off or is there such a thing?

Post #517162nd Apr 2006 10:26 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I know the prices went up here for the 06 model, but it is unclear what they are talking about here.

Could it be a currency fluctuation thing? and they are simply hiding that fact?

Post #517222nd Apr 2006 10:32 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You need legal advice mate...

There are a few lawyers on here but not not if any Aussie ones around.

Generally a decent supplier would use their own judgement and show you a sign of goodwill and either ignore the price change or do a deal.

Best you check it out with them, then a lawyer if you want to push it.

Try the 'showing some good will route' considering you have waited for so long and the fact that they have told you so close to the expected delivery date.

-s

Post #517262nd Apr 2006 10:43 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Husky

You state that you agreed to pay any change in RRP at delivery - you also state that there has been no change to RRP at delivery - if this is the case then the fact that the dealer may of had increased costs passed to it by Land Rover is nothing to do with your arrangement.

Does it say in your signed agreement that you must pay any changes in costs?????

If not - tell them that a verbal agreement is as good as a written one in contract law (hopefully in Aus too). Refuse to pay any increase unless it is proven to be against RRP.

Don't let them fob you off.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #517282nd Apr 2006 10:46 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Reading between the lines, it seems that LR have increased the cost to the importer, but by not changing the RRP have presumed (or expected) the dealer to absorb it.

I would be questioning the dealer intensely about this.

Post #517302nd Apr 2006 10:50 pm
Limpopo

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
Pricing

I agree with Gareth. Sounds like something the dealer should be sucking in. I got an 06 build delivered a couple of days ago and it was ordered end November -ish. We also have specced up models here (South Africa), similar to Oz, I believe. No price increase since launch. No price increases discussed at all.
 Must look at it from the bright side...  
Post #517342nd Apr 2006 11:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Husky

Australia 

Thanks to all that have replied so far, it has only been a matter of hours since my initial post. It really is greatly appreciated, these forums are such a valuable tool!

dickgriff wrote:
Husky

You state that you agreed to pay any change in RRP at delivery - you also state that there has been no change to RRP at delivery - if this is the case then the fact that the dealer may of had increased costs passed to it by Land Rover is nothing to do with your arrangement.

Does it say in your signed agreement that you must pay any changes in costs?????

If not - tell them that a verbal agreement is as good as a written one in contract law (hopefully in Aus too). Refuse to pay any increase unless it is proven to be against RRP.

Don't let them fob you off.

Your thoughts are mine exactly at this point. The dealership manager is away today and the salesman says he will contact me on his return. I want to know for sure that this increase is legit before we go any further.

In answer to your question - the original written contract says in the fine print that "the price may be increased if RRP, statutory charges or applicable taxes and duties".

This is the same dealer that offered to fit a $2,390 option pack for cost price and then got back to us and claimed their cost price was $2,200 Confused

Post #517453rd Apr 2006 5:16 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Husky, am I getting this right - that your dealer now wants to charge you more than RRP ? Is he quoting new customers a price above RRP and are other competitor dealers also quoting above RRP ?

It sounds to me that this dealer thinks he has you on a hook, and is trying to bleed more out of you to cover his own inefficencies or inflated profit ambitions. A price increase from LR to the dealer isn't a "statutory charge or a tax or a duty". It simply is the manufacturer reducing the "upfront" margin on a vehicle that the dealer enjoys (ie margin attracting to each individual vehicle based on difference between dealers purchase invoice and sales invoice). Almost sure that LR will have a new deal where the dealer gets more "back end margin" as a result (ie extra margin achieved through a bonus or rebate scheme for hitting various targets).

Suggest you tell your dealer to get real....
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #517513rd Apr 2006 7:42 am
Pelyma

England 

I think Smarticus is spot on, their front end margin has probably dropped but the rear end one increased. This rewards dealers who achieve production levels rather than making more money up front on lower sales levels.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #517533rd Apr 2006 8:26 am
Husky

Australia 

Smarticus wrote:
Husky, am I getting this right - that your dealer now wants to charge you more than RRP ? Is he quoting new customers a price above RRP and are other competitor dealers also quoting above RRP ?

Suggest you tell your dealer to get real....

We agreed to pay any increase that occurred whilst waiting for the vehicle based on RRP. They are not charging above RRP but claiming that they have incurred an increase (based on build year) that is other than RRP and now want to apply that to our order!

They agreed to draw up a new contract when we decided to wait for the 06 build car but after phone calls and emails nothing happened for approx. 5 weeks. We wrote a letter of complaint and then they said they would do so and have now notified us of the proposed new pricing increase. Which is outside of what we had agreed with the salesman Confused

Post #517573rd Apr 2006 8:41 am
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

In the UK it is my understanding that if there is any changes the dealers will be issued with a bulletin notifying them of specification and price changes. The bulletin will have an effective date and Land Rover then will price protect any orders placed before or on the effective date, provided a signed order is provided to the regional manager within 5 working days. The above at least was the case for MY 2005 to MY 2006 HSE price/specification changes when the price went up by £1495.

Post #518713rd Apr 2006 8:49 pm
OffRoader

Finland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I think that the increased prices are related to compensate those numerious warranty repairs that most of us have seen. Might be that more than half of the LR sales margins are spend to warranty repairs.
- on the otherhand, LR will get their money paid back after the warranty period by selling overprices parts to LR owners.

Offroader
 -- too many modifications made to my Disco 3 to be listed in here --  
Post #520074th Apr 2006 2:48 pm
Husky

Australia 

Asked to speak with the dealership manager five days ago when they first told us of the increase. No reply after two days so rang back and spoke to the salesman who said he would ring the following day. He said the manager had been too busy to call back on the day of my request due to 'end of the month' paperwork etc Twisted Evil No response the following day so rang back only to be told he was at another location for the day looking/buying cars Rolling Eyes

The absolute arrogance of the dealership manager is amazing. He runs a tiny little dealership which unfortunately is the only one available to us but seems to think he is running the White House Exclamation

Post #520874th Apr 2006 9:48 pm
Ray dadd

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

well you know what some people are like managment goes to there heads.

it makes me laugh somtimes just how bad lorry drivers are treated at the delivery point .as if they are morons .but realy they are well skilled individuals who own /incontroll of thousands of pounds of stock and also a rig that cost more that a small house . they have to look after .sorry to babel just yaping as usual
 CRAG-uk.org
countryside recreational access group
D3 7seater lugano teal
D3 s comercial 06 Rimni red
toyota land crusier vx 4.2 94M
defender 90 hard top (best of all ) 99 

Post #520934th Apr 2006 10:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Husky

Australia 

Well I just want to thank all those who provided some help. I contacted Land Rover direct and confirmed with the national sales manager there were no 2006 build price increases passed on to dealers!

The dealership manager phoned back today and explained that the increase was a bonus paid to dealers when he had signed us up and not an increase for build year as the salesperson had told us. He stated that it only applied to vehicles with 2005 build date. He explained that since the bonus no longer applied he could not do the same deal any longer.

After a long talk he agreed to meet us half way so it looks like we are up for half the bonus he would have received. As we don't want to end up going to court over this I cannot see us doing much better.

Sincere thanks again to all that offered help Smile

Post #521115th Apr 2006 6:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >