DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Vacuum Booster Issue- RECALL
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Started a Poll:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post503921.html#503921
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #5039225th Aug 2009 6:58 am
caverD3

Just Bumping as I have not got any takers on the poll.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #5042956th Aug 2009 2:22 am
caverD3

Hold the presses. Surprised

Dealer has just told me LR have held off on the recall as there are some new parts and they are saying they will be extending the VIN range. Thumbs Up
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #5043196th Aug 2009 7:17 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks Caver. Thumbs Up

Fingers Crosssed. Confused
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #5046807th Aug 2009 2:27 am
barryp

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

See text below from LR3 Web site, associated picture wouldn't copy but the words explain the operation of the Vacuum Pump.

Note in the last paragraph that engine oil enters the pump to lubricate the vanes and returns to the engine through a drain at the bottom of the pump body along with air extracted from the system. Understanding this it is clear that if the check valve which is at the brake booster end (is faulty) and allows a flow back into the booster (probably after you turn off the engine) then oil will be drawn back to the booster.

This explains why only the check valve is mentioned in the recall. Oil in the pump appears to be part of its normal mode of operation.

Regards

Barryp

VACUUM PUMP (2.7L DIESEL)

Item Part Number Description
1 - Vacuum connection (not used)
2 - Vacuum connection for brake booster
3 - Drive dog
4 - Seal
5 - Oil inlet port
6 - Oil return/air vent

A vacuum pump is installed on diesel models as the air inlet system does not produce sufficient vacuum for satisfactory operation of the brake booster.

The vacuum pump is a radial vane pump which is attached to the rear of the RH cylinder head and driven at half engine speed by the exhaust camshaft. The vacuum pipe from the brake booster connects to an elbow on the rim of the vacuum pump.

The vacuum pump is lubricated and cooled by engine oil supplied to a port in the front face of the vacuum pump from a gallery in the cylinder head. The oil return is through a vent in the front face of the pump into a drain cavity in the cylinder head. Air extracted from the brake booster is vented into the drain cavity with the returning engine oil.
 2017 Range Rover Sport TDV6 L494 Fuji White
2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 L320 Fuji White Loved but GONE
2010 TRAKKA Motorhome Fiat Ducato GONE (What a dud, don't buy one)
2006 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 Automatic Chawton White/Ebony. Loved but GONE
2006 BMW X5 diesel White/Charcoal, Bought new, gone after 12 years! Excellent vehicle.
Ex Member Range Rover Club NSW 

Post #5051838th Aug 2009 11:59 pm
Roger 47

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Quote:
Understanding this it is clear that if the check valve which is at the brake booster end (is faulty) and allows a flow back into the booster (probably after you turn off the engine) then oil will be drawn back to the booster.
This situation could also come about, then, if for some reason somebody wanted to keep pumping the brake pedal after the engine had stopped. I accept that you would have to do this quite a few times, start engine, stop, pump brakes etc, but the principal would be the same. By lowering the vacuum in the servo, would draw any oil in the vacuum pump through the pipe line into the servo. Is this a correct understanding?
Roger

Post #5052369th Aug 2009 12:00 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Roger 47, I don't think so, though I may be wrong.

If I understand correctly, the vacuum store is actually in the booster unit. It is this vacuum that can suck oil through the pump and pipes and through an (I assume) imperfect check valve.

If you pump the pedal with the engine off, you're actually depleting this stored vacuum and so technically reducing the chance of oil being drawn into the booster.

Probably.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #50659412th Aug 2009 10:17 pm
caverD3

The other way as i understand it. The vaccuum pump draws air out of the booster giving negative pressure so pumping would increase the pressure in the booster bringing it closer to atmospheric presssure. If there is a one way valve it should stop the migrating.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #50664913th Aug 2009 3:36 am
barryp

One positive after looking at the work involved in changing a vacuum pump the check valve replacement should be relatively cheap Razz

Regards

Barryp
2006 BMW X5 diesel White/Charcoal, Bought new, gone after 12 years! Excellent vehicle.

Post #50727914th Aug 2009 12:39 pm
Fish

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Mines booked in for a refit next week.

Post #50736414th Aug 2009 4:12 pm
barryp

Mine is booked in for the safety recall work next Monday.

Regards

Barry P

Post #50825517th Aug 2009 8:02 am
evo8

Slovakia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

From the LR document it is not clear to me what are they going to replace if there is no oil in the vacuum pipe (yet). Should I wait until it starts to appear and only then go to dealer? Can someone please clarify?
 2013 D4 TDV6 S; Baltic Blue; IID Tool BT
2007 D3 TDV6 SE, Auto; club Faultmate MSV2 

Post #50871818th Aug 2009 9:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

When I visited my dealer the other day they knew all about the P017 recall and had already started applying it to some vehicles that were booked in for other things.

They checked on the computer and, although my VIN and country is in the range specified in the recall notice, my vehicle is not covered - the only explanation that we found was that it is because mine is not the EURO IV engine.

The service chap seemed indicate that there would probably be another recall issued at a later date for the EURO III engines.....
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #50957520th Aug 2009 8:45 am
Zilch

Australia 

PaulP wrote:
The service chap seemed indicate that there would probably be another recall issued at a later date for the EURO III engines.....

I was told exactly that today my local dealer in Sydney, my vehicle is within the manufacturing timescale but a Euro III. I have already had the problem in January this year, so fixed but no mods available at the time
 another Pommie from the darkside

MY20 Defender P400 SE
MY103 RR Sport TDv6 

Post #50961320th Aug 2009 10:14 am
Ian62

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Been away on holiday so missed the post, but whilst away the brakes went hard and long Whistle . Second time this has happened, first time around my dealer replaced the servo. Car was booked in for a service anyway, once we got back, so I told them the problem and they pulled out the recall notice Shocked

Now mine is MY07 and according to it's data sheet its EU4, although built in Dec 06 and RHD.

My dealer is now getting hold of Land Rover and asking them if I can have a replacement here in Germany as we are not on the list.
 Stadt Panzer Power  
Post #50985320th Aug 2009 5:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >