Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Vibration when stationary - is this normal ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nichop

United Kingdom 
Vibration when stationary - is this normal ?

I've noticed that when my Disco3 is stationary and in Drive, there is quite a bit of vibration coming through the steering wheel and generally through the car. Put it into Neutral and it mostly goes away although there is still a little there. Not sure if its related but also generally there seems to be more fine vibration coming through the steering wheel under load than I remember.

Do others have vibration and sounds like the engine is 'burdened' when stationary in Drive ?

Nick

Post #71436510th Nov 2010 9:12 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I always get a slight noise when in drive and stationary, but not a vibration. Sound autotransmission related.

perhaps a double flush would be a good start. not a bad thing to do anyway.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #71438510th Nov 2010 10:05 am
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I used to get a similar effect to what you describe, maybe a low frequency kind of vibration or "juddering", noticeable when holding position on a slight incline with the engine ticking over but without the brakes, or on the flat with light braking applied so the car just creeps forward.

It's been fine since I got the gearbox "MegaFlushed"

Are you getting jerky gearchanges when driven fairly hard, or a juddering feeing when accelerating hard away from a standstill?

If so, it's most likely a gearbox flush will help, otherwise it could be something different.
 Clive

Post #71440110th Nov 2010 10:38 am
peterm

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have this sympton as well, there's another thread about it from about a month ago. When stationary (and only when stationary), I have distinct vibration in the steering wheel. Also felt through the seat. Increasing revs to >1000 makes it go away. Had the car in for 72000km service recently, they checked motor and trans mounts no problems found. I had it on a lift a couple of days ago when doing diff oils. Had engine running on the lift to check for vibrations, couldnt see anything wrong, no exhaust rattles or anything like that. In my case it doesnt matter if in P,R,N or D, vibration level is the same. I also tried injector cleaner, didnt change anything. Could be that a gearbox flush makes a difference, let me know if you try please Very Happy

Do engine mounts ever fail on these ?

/Peter
 Gone and missed : D3 TDV6 SE MY2008  
Post #71441510th Nov 2010 10:57 am
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Similar symptoms with me for about a year now.

Checked everything from tensioner pulley to wheel bearings nothing found. Local dealer suggests it's gradual wear on the engine mounts but assures me this is "normal" vibration - a statement I still don't agree with but have not made any progress in proving wrong.

I have not yet done the double flush as gear changes are as smooth as they have always been, no juddering on acceleration or any other symptoms the flush seems to commonly solve.

Keep us posted on progress as it seems there are quite a few owners now with similar symptoms Thumbs Up
 ==> Guide - Inexpensive AV Modification
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #71443810th Nov 2010 11:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >