Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Disco 3 Timing Belt Disaster - What are My Options?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
waddler

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks for all the info. I have zero technical skills so will be putting the car up for sale as is. I do hope someone does drop in a decent engine and get themselves a bit of a bargain in the end.

Post #222510217th Apr 2021 11:18 am
Matty 2332

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Same happened to me but it was my fault entirely. I attempted to change the timing belt myself which to be honest was fairly straightforward, that is until I realised my Torque wrench didnt go low enough for the torque required for the tensioner bolt. Stupidly I tried to 'guess' it and I guessed wrong. " weeks later, wife pulling out of a junction and bang it went. I had over tightened the tensioner bolt and it snapped !
I drained the oil and found bits of the roller bearing that had smashed when the piston hit the valve etc. (Pics in my gallery)
Anyway, the point I wish to make is that I looked at engine replacement, (so glad I didnt go down that root) what I did was go for a reconditioned head, it was only the cam bearing journal that had snapped along with the cam roller. As it was a body off job, i took it to a good indi who charged me £1600.
Whilst the TDV6 is an interference engine, I think engine speed has a lot to do with the amount of resultant damage. The car is still going strong 8 years later. Keep your fingers crossed and you never know ! Good luck Thumbs Up

Post #22770534th Feb 2022 8:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >