Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

My Headrest Screen Modification Completed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
My Headrest Screen Modification Completed

I am listing my pictorial Install, in the aid of others that may tackle this now or in the future, I decided to post seperate to the Special Offer as I intended this to be an aid...............

But Firstly I would like to thank Nick (TLO) for a cracking deal, Simon (SGH) for answering numerous PM's, and all those that answered questions I needed....Thank you guys Thumbs Up

Right, You need to throw the FL2 instructions away immediately, they only show vaugue pictures of the wiring, and thats it TBH..............

I started with installing the Headrest Screens

1. You 1st need to remove this cap on the Hand grips on ALL four handles....

Be very careful as the sharp bit can cut the leather easily. I found a spoon inserted into a gap made when you grip the cap between your fingers and slowly lever out. Try not to damage the cap or handle as it will show signs of removal when back together.

2. Then remove this Torx Screw on ALL four Handles

The Handles are only secured at the bottom, the D3 headrests have a type of tube in them for the top of the handle to insert into

And once removed you are left with this

3. Once ALL four handles are removed you need to cut the top peg off (or cut a hole in the new headrests), I used a Dremmel to aid neatness and accuracy. Ensure you mask the parts you don'd want to mark/scratch

And with top pegs cut off

4. You then need to unclip the leather upholstory at the bottom of the seat, below the map pocket. Its 2 long strips that interlock, insert a small screwdriver to start the seperation, follow it by hand. Then reverse the Headrest install, putting the AV lead into the tubes and slowly guide down whilst reaching up inside the seat, once finding the lead I tucked the end into the map pocket for later.

Install the handles and replace Torx screw and caps

Taking time to remove the caps in the first place pays dividends now as the screen set up looks untouched OEM.

5. Now to tackle the Aux/Power panel at the rear of the cubby box...

Totally different to whats supplied, so you need to remove this panel...clips of on the top edge and a little teasing will release it

I took mine indoors for this bit, but here is both the D3 panel and FL2 panel

The rear of these panels you will see is secured with screws, these need to be removed and switched, so the FL2 one is on the D3 panel...Before you do this though, the D3 one needs to be drilled out following the template thats on the reverse of the panel. I found a 10mm drill bit worked spot on.

And Installed

6. The bit I dreaded....You need to remove ALL the removable trim from the Centre Consul upper trim...Remove the rubber pen holder mat, cup holders and this screw by the EPB strip

Remove the transmission lever with a swift tug.

Now the rest of the trim WILL be tight, Start one side behind the EPB switch, and after a few pulls it will release, working in opposite sides popping the clips as you go along...

Once you finally get the upper trim off I unclipped ALL the electrical connections (3 in total), and put the trim to one side, leaving this

I then had to remove the cubby lid and my CB install and Cubby Box, the cubby box is held in by just two screws and the same clips on the bottom as the consul trim, so needs a tug again, once out the access is great to the rear Aux/Power panel you just modified.

(few extra wires down there, a coax and power cable for CB

7. Now you need to install the New TV Screen Loom, I joined it ALL up before offering it to the D3, so I knew how far I could space it all out. The loom comes in 3 parts, the power take off, and two seperate boxes. Hard to explain, but the 1st lead replaces the Power lead in the Aux/Power Panel, the lead originally there plugs into this lead too (seperate Block), the tiny block goes onto the smaller black box and connects, this then connects to the bigger black box which inturn needs to be earthed. I earthed mine on one of the bolts secureing the transmission selcector.

So while the loom is loose, I taped the loose wires in areas so not to chaff but did'nt secure the boxes at this stage, making sure you remember the AUX cable (BLUE), this easily taped around the edge of the cubby liner. Then replace the Cubby box and the two securing screws, before the screw hole line up you may need to apply force for the bottom of the cubby to locate the into the clips. Once the box was back in and secured, I ran the AV leads left and right down and under the centre consul housing so it would appear under the seats.

Picture shows Earthed Black box, and just in sight between the cubby box and counsul housing the other smaller box.

8. Replace ALL connections under the consul trim and slowly replace the trim, pressing hard enough to locate the trim back into the clips, remember to replace the screw in front of the EPB switch.

9. Now the the AV cables under the consul housing, there should be excess cable (approx 2ft), I passed under the seat runners and looped the AV cabel, then cable tied under each seat allowing enough slack for seat movement but well away from feet in the 2nd row seats.

10. The finished article

11. Extras I purchased for my install is for the iphone

And this little gadget recommended by DrLex and DistoStu

Hope this helps a little guys, and any questions I will answer via Pm, just to keep this post tidy.

Jason

Thumbs Up

Last edited by MacLeod 313 on 11th Jun 2010 11:25 pm. Edited 6 times in total 
Post #65958911th Jun 2010 10:26 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

Alas I can't see my doing this because I have custom leather Big Cry and Very Happy but this is a great write up and exactly the sort of thing that many might find useful.

Thanks for taking the time to post and take those pics.
 PAGODA  
Post #65959411th Jun 2010 10:48 pm
jonny teflon

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Top write up jason Very Happy
have just placed my order with TLO does the kit come with the fl2 aux panel ?
or was that purchased separately and have you decided on source for monitors yet ?
iam looking at veba av2705 in top glove box

Post #65960111th Jun 2010 11:12 pm
MacLeod 313

Jonny, I decided to use the Cyclone Media Player......It uses SD cards and has a USB connection with AV and HDMI outputs....Also comes with a Remote control...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumvision-Cyclone-...amp;sr=1-1

Post #65960411th Jun 2010 11:28 pm
jonny teflon

thats nice and cheap Shocked
how about the fl2 aux did it come in kit ?

Post #65960711th Jun 2010 11:39 pm
MacLeod 313

The Fl2 Box did, and the Loom in the box has a New lead for the AUX too

Its just a case of stripping them both down, swapping the electrickery and bobs your uncle....Plug n Play really

Post #65960811th Jun 2010 11:41 pm
jonny teflon

Wow just shows you what value for money this headrest deal is Very Happy
Like you the bit i'm not looking forward to is taking the centre console out (to many wires for my liking)
once again top write up , may pm you when i get stuck Laughing

Post #65960911th Jun 2010 11:53 pm
MacLeod 313

Sure can Thumbs Up

Post #65961011th Jun 2010 11:56 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Good Job Mac,

I have to say, that this is possibly the single most useful post that you've done. And it's a cracker. All the info in one place. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #65961412th Jun 2010 12:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Cheers Bodsy, My aim was to do just that. When I researched on how to do this the info was really helpful that was available, but scattered about on the threads..........So MY install was listed, unbroken and in full to help others having ago.

Thumbs Up

Post #65965512th Jun 2010 9:34 am
SGH

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4

Nice job Jason Thumbs Up

Where does that Cyclone Micro plug in ?

Now I have video on both front and rear screens has anyone sussed out how to get wireless headphone set
to work in the front ? Another thought I had was to wire in stereo jack plug into dash to plug headphone
into.

Simon
 Defender 300Tdi 110 HCP - Keswick Green
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Montalcino Red/Black Pack - Gone
Connect L2 Double Cab - Moondust Silver
Connect L1 - Moondust Silver
VW California Ocean 150PS DSG - Reflex Silver 

Post #65966412th Jun 2010 10:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

I aint done that bit yet Simon, that will be added...........But will install that ontop/alongside the SatNav DVD player under the passenger seat, you only need to access one side of it where the USB/SD card sockets are, and TBH you wont need to change them too often with the amount of films you can store on them.

Will add that during the week.

Post #65966512th Jun 2010 10:07 am
timjstone

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

how is the Cyclone Micro Media Player powered - i didn't see any mention of what it uses for power? 12V?

Post #65969112th Jun 2010 11:57 am
MacLeod 313

Patience my youngling...I ain't fitted that bit YET

it's mains adaptor powered, or USB powered, hence the AV leads from Apple with a USB connector.

Post #65969612th Jun 2010 12:23 pm
BrumLee

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

They're usually 5VDC powered units so a 12V adaptor is required rather than an invertor Wink
 Faultmate MSV2 EXTREME
FOXWELL N624 Elite
Hantek 1008c Oscilloscope 

Post #65970312th Jun 2010 1:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >