DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Low Pressure fuel pump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
numptydog

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Low Pressure fuel pump

I have discovery 3, 2008, 2.7L diesel

Is there an easy way to get at the low pressure pump in the fuel tank, eg from a hatch inside the car, or do I really have to drop the fuel tank as advised by Mr Haynes.

Thank you
Julian

Post #12135797th Jan 2014 8:56 pm
geoff.

England 

you have to drop the tank Thumbs Up

Post #12135817th Jan 2014 8:58 pm
armalites

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Sod's law says you will have just filled any fuel tank that you need to take out Big Cry

Post #12135897th Jan 2014 9:02 pm
dingdongs

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

this is the in tank pump and this is identical to the one you require.advanced factors do one
http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/206607-in...1757-p.asp

or here;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140917506585?ssP...1423.l2649
to do the job requires
less than a 1/4 tank of juice then no spillage when dropping tank out the refill hose.
undo jubilee clip
remove 2 covers.near prop and plastic undershield below fuel filter.
this will give access to unclip 2 pipes at front end of tank just above the chassis cross member close to the tanks 2 front bolts.
if diy a good 3tonne plus trolley jack as well as a pair of axle stands is a must.
jack car up until both wheels are just off the ground and this will give good access.
I found half a dozen lengths of 4"x4" timber about 3 foot in length to bring tank down in stages is very helpful if doing the job by yourself and a bit of scaffold pipe to prize tank off wood when down so can be pulled from under car.
here goes then;
remove fuel fill pipe(if full you will require a deep tray for fuel)
split 2 fuel pipes at front end of tank.
unclip pipes that run down inner side of tank next to prop.
undo all 6 tank screws but leave in for a while.
jack and wood required now.
remove 2 side bolts and 1 inner side bolt. tank is still up at this stage
remove rear bolt and lower a few inches onto a wood stack
remove 2 front bolts and lower onto a wood stack feeding the 3 already unclipped flow and return pipes under the chassis so they can be see.
stage lower tank down to ground being careful to make sure pipe work is free to lower.when I had it on a piece of timber at each end the on top of tank pipework and electrical connector to be removed carefully.
jubilee clip for the breather pipe and a hose with a pressable clip too.An electrical connector and the tank should be ready for dragging out now.
there will be a tube in the tanks refill spout remove and plug with cloth to avoid spillage,
if you have a vacuum pump once the lids off by undoing the clip and prising the white ringopen and turning round to remove you'll be now to the inner of the tank.
3 electrical connectors to unclip and a few pipes too but may be worth writing down their positions.
inside you will see to the side a white unit in which on the inside the pump is hiding.
a PELA vacuum pump may be a good item to have to remove the diesel now or you hands will be swimming in fuel.
release green clip and slide towards rear of tank and you will now be able to remove pumps housing,pipework and fuel sender as a complete unimay be worth taking some photos of positioning b4 pulling out and the floats position so it works when you put it all together again.
top pops off the fuel pumps housing and gently prize all apart .bit of a pain getting the flow pipe off the pump but a hairdryer can be used to soften the pipe.disconnect electrical plug from the old unit and fit the new one with original electrical connector.
refit all back together.
problems I encountered were the 2 connectors at front of tank as both differ on how to unclip them.1 was a squeeze from either side and the other was pull a small pin out about 2/3mm and then squeeze to remove.
about 3 to 4 hours to do the job but a grand cheaper than taking it into a dealership.
bleed schraeder valve about 3 to 4 cycles of the ignition with plenty of rag around b4 attempting to start.normally starts fairly quickly after that.
2290 code was not stated on my hawkeye the 2nd time it failed so I was thinking it cant have gone again but it had.was running rough with esf (engine system fault) flashing suddenly and car failed to start so you normally try cranking and cranking but will not start.

Post #12138588th Jan 2014 1:02 am
Langer

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

This sounds like what could be wrong with mine

Post #123959920th Feb 2014 2:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >