Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Scottish independence
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 359 of 361 <123 ... 358 359360361>
Garagegmx

There's one or two die hards within the SNP. All talk and no action.

With Alex going to the backbenchs and Nicola leading the party, it will be interesting to see how they fare in the next Scottish Elections. Not very well I suspect, the LiDems might even be more popular if that's possible. Whistle

Post #134636223rd Sep 2014 10:09 am
JMC

Scotland 

Look guys, Plan A was the most coherent, sensible and pragmatic solution to the issue of neighbouring countries doing much business with shared interests. The requirement for 'Plan B' was a construct of the Westminster government, nothing more. A Yes vote on Friday would have seen George Osborne on a plane to Edinburgh begging for a CU. The whole thing was a campaign tactic, but it was one that worked, unfortunately.

If we turn it round, imagine that England wanted to leave the union and keep using the pound. Who here would suggest that a no CU stance by Scotland, Wales & N.I. would be sensible?
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #134637923rd Sep 2014 10:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

That may be your view but the UK has a long history of rejecting currency unions.

You do realise that you made-up the bit about Osborne begging to join a CU don't you?

Alex Salmond Jan 2009 on Spanish TV wrote:
...expand the economy within a monetary context within a European euro context will prove to be a very strong one for the people of Scotland.

Salmond embraced the Euro until later that year when it became clear that the Euro had become toxic. Embracing the Pound was not part of his original Plan A and his next Plan A was a masterclass in stupidity - trying to convince Scottish voters that the rUK would immediately underwrite the breakaway Scottish economy and vote for its first currency union.

I am surprised that there were any taken in by it, but there you go.

Confused
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #134638623rd Sep 2014 10:41 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

JMC wrote:
Look guys, Plan A was the most coherent, sensible and pragmatic solution to the issue of neighbouring countries doing much business with shared interests. The requirement for 'Plan B' was a construct of the Westminster government, nothing more. A Yes vote on Friday would have seen George Osborne on a plane to Edinburgh begging for a CU. The whole thing was a campaign tactic, but it was one that worked, unfortunately.

If we turn it round, imagine that England wanted to leave the union and keep using the pound. Who here would suggest that a no CU stance by Scotland, Wales & N.I. would be sensible?

Sorry John, but Plan B was something the YES campaign said they had. It may have been a construct of Westminster because there was going to be no CU. Failure to accept that was one of the things which lost the campaign.

But now it's done, why won't they say what plan B was, without it they were deceiving the YES voters by saying there was a Plan B if there wasn't. You may have wanted Plan A, but they said there was a Plan B, if in reality there wasn't that is the most deceiving part of the entire campaign.

Post #134640023rd Sep 2014 11:07 am
discovery1953

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

JMC.....

You lost....

Give it a rest.............

End of coversation............

MODS, please lock this thread so we don't have to go over this again and again........... Twisted Evil

Thanks.

Post #134640223rd Sep 2014 11:09 am
comedyharvey

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

'Sinking like a stone' was how he described Sterling in 2009. Hardly credible that just 5 years later a Sterling CU was so fundamentally important to his vision of Independence.
 Arthur.
Comedy was a horse, Harvey a dog, both sadly gone. Thought I was choosing a password!

Currently;
Discovery 3 HSE 2009
101" Fwd. Control 1976
Nuffield 10/90 Tractor (10/60 with 6 cylinder conversion) 1964

Previously;
Series III Lightweight. 1976. 

Post #134640423rd Sep 2014 11:13 am
JMC

Scotland 

Robbie - What you fail to accept is that the Scottish economy underpins Sterling. Nobody here was asking to be underwritten - it was common sense, plain and simple. I think the only flaw in the SNP game-plan was not envisaging the Westminster brinkmanship tactic.

Anyway, here comes the next "I told you so" moment.......

Click image to enlarge

All that's going to come from this is a cut in the Barnett formula coupled to increased tax raising powers in Scotland. They will give with one hand and take with the other. Meanwhile, I'll be paying the same tax as everyone else in the UK to Westminster, coupled with extra taxes in Scotland to cover that which Westminster will cut from the block grant.

Meanwhile, this will lead to the Scottish government institution itself becoming unpopular (regardless of leadership) and the public will want it shut down, because it makes them worse off compared to a unity government in Westminster.

Westminster becomes more popular in England, because it cuts the block grant
Holyrood becomes more unpopular in Scotland, because it's forced to increase taxes just to maintain current budgets.
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #134640523rd Sep 2014 11:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

This thread needs locked, I don't see why people should have a platform to talk more Censored

I hate to imagine what would have been on here with a Yes vote, scary but justice was done.

Perhaps the free University education that is leaving English students with massive debts and the free health care for the elderly so they don't have to sell their homes isn't enough, but so much destruction has been done, as Robbie quite rightly says its time to move on and start repairing it, as long as someone is wiling to listen to nut cases they will keep spouting, all that does is cause more upset and division Evil or Very Mad

Post #134640823rd Sep 2014 11:23 am
JMC

Scotland 

So, as well as reneging on promises, pledges and vows, you now want a peaceful discussion thread locked, when in fact, the vast bulk of the Censored being talked is by you. Twisted Evil

It took all of ten hours for the vow to collapse, forty-eight hours for the NHS safety to disappear, four days for this…I expect an announcement of the gigantic oil find in Claire field by Thursday.

DT, I thought you'd taken your bile elsewhere. You don't have to be in here and nobody is forcing you to read it. Same goes for discovery1953. Add sensibly, or ignore. Rolling Eyes
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #134641223rd Sep 2014 11:29 am
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Again your not listening are you, you LOST, time to move on.

I honestly think beneath whatever chips you have on your shoulders you are a nice guy, its just a shame you even got involved in this lost cause. Still its up to you but I would stop digging, your hole is big enough already Wink

How about changing your avatar to something more 'together' , it could help heal wounds Wink

Last edited by Discotres on 23rd Sep 2014 11:47 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #134641523rd Sep 2014 11:34 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

John, we are a united nation as that is what the majority wanted.

Please set aside your rhetoric and encourage those with similar outmoded views to work together for the UK and not to risk undermining our united economy with separatist threats and re-imaginations of recent events.

We are the UK - embrace it.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #134641623rd Sep 2014 11:34 am
simon645

England 2005 LR3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackLR3

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
discovery1953 wrote:
JMC.....

You lost....

MODS, please lock this thread so we don't have to go over this again and again........... Twisted Evil

Thanks.

Post #134643123rd Sep 2014 11:46 am
Dave T

England 

discovery1953 wrote:
JMC.....

You lost....

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #134643423rd Sep 2014 11:51 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I though the Times was one of the papers that was telling lies and being biased, com e on john you can't have it both ways.

Post #134643623rd Sep 2014 11:55 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hello chaps, me again...

Can we please not drag over this again, what's done is done and it is now time to discuss moving forwards as has been done here since the result.

I was hoping the heat had gone from this topic and I'm disappointed to see it flaring up again.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #134644123rd Sep 2014 11:59 am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 359 of 361 <123 ... 358 359360361>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >