DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Steering Issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Steering Issues

Hi everyone!

I have 2 minor issues related to steering.
1. On right hand bends only, taken at enough speed to get appreciable body roll traction control kicks in. Not very aggressively, I barely notice it but I do see the light flashing on the dash. Doesn't happen on similar left hand bends. Bushes and alignment was done 1 year ago. Steering wheel is very slightly to the right when going dead straight (around 3 degrees to the right). My front tyres are towards the end of their serviceable life and were a bit low on pressure, but even after pumping up to normal it's still the same. I never calibrated the steering angle sensor though. Can that be the issue?

2. I have a subtle rough scraping noise within the steering wheel noticeable when turning the wheel very slightly to the left while driving. No noise when turning to the right as far as I can tell. Sounds a bit like running your nails against the textured plastic of the steering shroud. Very strange though is the fact that I don't get the noise when turning the wheel when stopped. Maybe wheel bearing? I would be surprised though as it does sound like the noise is right behind the airbag and I don't hear any noises from outside when the window is down.

Not sure if these 2 issues are at all related. I'll be replacing all 4 tyres very soon so will eliminate that potential problem. What else can I do? I've got an IID Tool so could give the steering angle sensor some calibration, but is the "steering wheel 3 degrees to the right when going straight" an issue? Can I calibrate the sensor like this or should I fix that before calibration? I will check wheel bearings for play when I'm replacing tyres too.

Any other ideas, or anything else I can check personally?

Thanks
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #124319426th Feb 2014 9:45 am
disco305

Belgium 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

Hello,

Trying to help, sounds like hub bearings, have they been replaced already?
Just did my 2 front hub bearings, and the noise was as you describe, now silent when turning and braking.

Their was no way to know before dismantling, but the left one was very stiff,and the right one had a play
on it. My car is a 05 with 178.000 kms, I suspect that the left one had already been changed, but the
right one was very hard to get out, so probably never changed.

Hope this helps

Post #12459202nd Mar 2014 7:05 pm
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

The two faults are probably not related.
Calibrate the steering angle sensor and see what happens, the 3 degree offset may be having an influence. You may also need the wheel alignment re-checked.

You're lucky the wheel bearing is only making a subtle noise - when my RH front one went it howled like a banshee on left turns.
Check the wheel bearing for play with the wheel on and jacked up (trolly jack under the wishbone) - if there is play, replace it as soon as possible because they have been known to deteriorate from noisy to catastrophic failure very quickly.

Post #12460072nd Mar 2014 8:39 pm
nighthawk

Thanks,

I am waiting for delivery of my new tyres. The current tyres (General AT2) are down to the final 2 or 3mm and I do read they get quite rough and noisy towards the end of their life.

When I am doing the tyre change I will check the wheel bearings for play too. Best to start from there I think. Traction control issue might be down to the very worn front tyres too so I will do things one at a time.

I bought the car with 110,000km on the clock and now it's close to 175,000km. The wheel bearings have never been changed as far as I know and they are high on my list of suspects however I will see how things go with the tyres before splashing out the cash Thumbs Up

Will keep this post updated following new tyres next weekend Thumbs Up
 Dennis

Post #12460212nd Mar 2014 9:04 pm
nighthawk

Well, new tyres fitted. Could not reproduce the traction control kicking in bit (yet). The new General AT tyres feel much better planted than the old AT2.

The noise behind the steering wheel is still there though. It is so strange I decided to forget about it and see if it gets worse. When the steering wheel is moving (especially to the left), there is the noise. If there is a long curve and the steering wheel is kept in the same position for a while, the noise is not there as long as the steering is stationary, even if the car is turning. This kinda threw the wheel bearing theory out the window. BUT, strangest of them all is that with the car parked, turning the wheel makes no noise Whistle

It is a very subtle noise, not audible with the radio on, but still I drove another D3 and it wasn't there. Ahhh well... it defeats all logic in my mind so I will wait and see if something blows up soon Mr. Green
 Dennis

Post #12496928th Mar 2014 4:25 pm
disco305

sorry to say, but it sounds like the wheel bearings, mind you it is not a very expensive job, you could find
on this forum how to do , even with pictures. Thumbs Up

Just make sure you don't go to far. Rolling Eyes

Post #12499688th Mar 2014 11:04 pm
discocity

United Kingdom 

With such suspected high mileage and on original bearings I would change them anyway .
It could seized up and put you in the hedge Big Cry

Discocity

Post #12504439th Mar 2014 9:51 pm
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

That must be a record for original wheel bearings. I think I've only got one of the original ones left at about that mileage!

Post #12504559th Mar 2014 10:13 pm
nighthawk

That's a lot of support for the "wheel bearing" Mr. Green

I did quickly check for play when I had the wheels in the air while changing tyres but didn't notice anything. Honestly was a very quick check though as the tyre fitter was in a hurry...

The old tyres were worn unevenly. The outside of the front tyres were worn much more than the inside. Had the tyres on for 3 years, but 2 of those were riddled with control arm bush replacements and bad wheel alignment. Only been totally fine for the last year.

However, I will get the wheel alignment checked again ASAP and get the bearings checked more thoroughly, or just replace them for peace of mind...
 Dennis

Post #125063810th Mar 2014 10:44 am
nighthawk

Right, bit of an update maybe anyone has ideas.
So, things got a bit more audible now. At speeds over 60km/h with the window down there is a lot of road noise, more than just tyre noise. Sometimes sounds like a rumble sometimes a wailing sound.

Turning RIGHT the slightest amount while at speed (more than 60km/h) results in a fast chirping/squealing/whistling sound, much like the sound a Defender propshaft would make when on the way out. This noise gets less obvious, but still there, if you turn further (past 20 degrees or so on the steering). Noise stops immediately as soon as I centre the wheels. I can also get the noise if I brake appreciably, especially when going downhill.

So, although I said it sounds like a Defender propshaft, I'm ruling out the propshaft actually being the problem here, as that would make itself heard all the time not just when turning at speed. Would wheel bearings make this propshaft-like sound or is it also probable that it's a CV joint that's dying? I'm still unsure about the bearings because I couldn't find any play in them and I'd hate to get them replaced and still have the noises. But maybe I'll get my mechanic to have a better look now as it sounds like disaster is within sight Mr. Green

How I wish I was rich... I'd buy 2 wheel bearings, 2 CV joints and be done with it! Whistle
 Dennis

Post #125353915th Mar 2014 6:03 pm
nighthawk

OK. So an update.

D3 is finally in getting it's front wheel bearings replaced, together with rear hub carrier bushes and a few other odd jobs.

Will update whether this sorted the growling steering when I get the D3 back Thumbs Up
 Dennis

Post #126959614th Apr 2014 9:25 am
nighthawk

So, just to close this thread.. disco305 you were spot on.

With my front wheel bearings replaced everything is totally whisper quiet. I must have lived with excessive road noise due to the wheel bearings for months and driven thousands of kilometers, thinking it was just tyre noise Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

The rough scraping noise from behind the steering wheel is gone too.

Also had my rear hub carrier bushes replaced so a good wheel alignment is up next.

Thanks!
 Dennis

Post #127393723rd Apr 2014 5:47 pm
disco305

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #127440224th Apr 2014 4:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >