Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

FBH - fuel priming procedure ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
discoboy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
FBH - fuel priming procedure ?

Does anyone know if the fuel priming procedure for the FBH would be similar to that described in this article:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/arch...t-228.html (search on "fitting the fuel pump" for the relevant section and accompanying photo)

Post #5448513rd Nov 2009 1:18 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

That other post was waaayyyy too long to bother reading through (if I'm honest).

What bit is it you're referring to specifically? as I understand it, the FBH will self prime and if it fails to prime, it goes into a shutdown mode. ISTR that removing the battery cables & holding them together for 10 seconds might clear it. Although member Wiggs has the ability to force it to prime with his Faultmate. You can contact him if you think it needs it.

What is it you're trying to do?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #5450833rd Nov 2009 2:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

As for as I know if the FBH doesnt fire the first time it will attempt another two times before it will lock out. To reset it you will need to pull a fuse(I have no idea which one) or as Bodsy states disconnect the battery and touch the two cables together. What problems are you having? Another forum member will be arriving shortly with the text book answer.
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #5450863rd Nov 2009 2:37 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The main question would be ...have you any way of firing up the FBH to test it anyway ?
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #5450963rd Nov 2009 2:54 pm
discoboy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

In another thread in the disco3 forum, one of the guys had an FBH that had not fired up since he had the vehicle, he went to the LR dealer who performed a fuel priming procedure and the FBH then worked. Being a bit of a DIYer and not wanting the dealer to steal my cash, I posted in the hope that the fuel priming procedure might be a well known procedure, it appears not!

I was googling around and found the thread in my OP. If you search that forum post for "FITTING THE FUEL PUMP" the guy there describes a way of priming the pump with diesel using a syringe because the pump is gravity fed and the pump maybe airlocked (presumably if the pump is airlocked the pump will not fuel the burner and the FBH will not fire up and eventually lock out and never start until the fuel priming procedure is performed). Apparently FBH's can be airlocked from the factory!

Making an assumption that the LR FBH might be a similar model to the MG/Rover version (they are both Webasto), could the LR version be gravity fed? If so, then the fuel priming procedure performed by the LR dealer on a D3 FBH would appear to make sense, hence my question on the way the guy had described his DIY fuel priming procedure.

I have tried the hard reset method on mine to no avail, I have not yet looked for the fuel pump for the FBH and just hoped someone in the forum might have an insight. As for DIY testing - apparently electrical freeze spray onto the temp sensor can trigger the FBH (providing all other factors are in place). As far as code resetting, I have a BAS box that I think can read fault codes, would this help with diagnosis?

Post #5451193rd Nov 2009 4:11 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Quote:
The auxiliary fuel pump regulates the fuel supply to the FFBH. The pump is installed in a rubber mounting attached to the chassis, below the RH front seat. The pump is a self priming, solenoid operated plunger pump, controlled by a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) signal from the control module in the FFBH. When the pump is de-energized, it provides a positive shut-off of the fuel supply.

The control module will not start the FFBH, or will discontinue operation, if any of the following occur:

The control module is in the lockout mode (see Diagnostics at the end of this section).
A crash message is received from the restraints control module. For additional information, refer to Air Bag and Safety Belt Pretensioner Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) (501-20B Supplemental Restraint System)
A low fuel level message is received from the instrument cluster. For additional information, refer to Instrument Cluster (413-01 Instrument Cluster)
The battery voltage is too low. When starting the FFBH, battery voltage must be 10.25 - 15.5 volts. When the FFBH is running, operation will be discontinued if battery voltage decreases to less than 10.25 volts.

The control module monitors the FFBH system for faults. Any faults detected are stored in a volatile memory in the control module, which can be interrogated by T4. A maximum of three faults and associated freeze frame data can be stored at any one time. If a further fault is detected, the oldest fault is overwritten by the new fault.

The control module also incorporates an error lockout mode of operation that inhibits operation to prevent serious faults from causing further damage to the system. In the error lockout mode, the control module immediately stops the auxiliary fuel pump, and stops the combustion air fan and circulation pump after a cool down time of approximately 2 minutes. Error lockout occurs for start sequence failures, combustion flameouts, heat exchanger casing overheat and if battery voltage is out of limits. The error lockout mode can be cleared using T4, or by disconnecting the battery power supply (connector C0926) for a minimum of 10 seconds.

Start Failure and Flameout: If a start sequence fails to establish combustion, or a flameout occurs after combustion is established, the control module immediately initiates another start sequence. The start failure or flameout is also recorded by an event timer in the control module. The event timer is increased by one after each start failure or flameout, and decreased by one if a subsequent start is successful. If the event timer increases to three (over any number of drive cycles), the control module enters the error lockout mode.

Heat Exchanger Casing Overheat: To protect the system from excessive temperatures, the control module enters the error lockout mode if the heat exchanger coolant temperature exceeds 125 °C (257 °F).
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5451323rd Nov 2009 5:07 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

DGs quote wrote:
When the pump is de-energized, it provides a positive shut-off of the fuel supply.
The system is not gravity fed as the FBH is higher than the tank. The above quoted reason is why it's a mare to prime with a syringe; it's also what stops the fuel draining back from the FBH when it's stopped.
I seem to recall an old post from 10forcash suggesting icing the external temp sensor to fool the heater into running, but I can't find it just yet...
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #5452223rd Nov 2009 7:51 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

This may or may not be any use to you but I've been messing about with a Thermotop C, this is the same as the MG rover heater, and I have found that it will attempt to prime itself but if the fuel doesn't reach the burner with in a set time(I think it's about 30 seconds ) the heater will shut down. I can observe this happening with clear fuel lines, the diesel will cone so for and then stops, I get round this by applying 12v on and off to the fuel dosing pump, fdp, this then pushes the diesel right up to the burner. The fdp is a small inline solonoid type pump which is used to control and stop the heater. The D3's webasto is the Thermotop V which i'm lead to believe is very similar in operation, the syringe method sounds plausible are you going to find the diesel pipe at the burner end and inject diesel back towards the pump? I think this could work providing you have a good 12v supply to both heater and pump.
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #5453043rd Nov 2009 9:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >