DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Tyre help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 
Tyre help

Looking to get a 2nd set of wheels for light off roading, or poss trip to Iceland next year. There seems to be very little choice in tyres for 17 or 18 inch rims if I stick to the LR "approved" tyre sizes (235/70R17 & 255/60R18 respectively. I'd be looking for something more off road but not out & out mud tyre. Has anyone had any luck getting off-roadish tyres for these sizes?? I've just spent 2 hours trawling the www & got nowhere.

Any thoughts??

Derek

PS Just found http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.ph...ght=255+60 & ploughing through!

Post #6314712th Jun 2006 2:23 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Not all the Oz tyres make it to UK, the Grabber AT2's have a good reputation and are available in 18"

Post #6315012th Jun 2006 2:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Only in 255/55 R18 at the mo though, 255/60 R18s are due out soon
 The End  
Post #6315312th Jun 2006 2:59 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Thanks, that will fit the bill exactly Mr. Green !

Post #6315412th Jun 2006 3:08 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Off road 18" in South Africa - a plug for Cooper.

Looks like we have the same challenges all over the world. I have been going nuts trying to get some 80% off-road tyres for a trip we start next week. Based on the posts on this forum, and after getting no joy at any Land Rover dealer, I went round all the local tyre dealers asking for all the brands mentioned, eg.. General (sold locally by Continental, but Grabber not stocked), Nitto Terragrappler (Nitto don't yet sell in S.Africa, and won't even sell direct), Goodyear - MTR not available in 18", and the 19" is special order only....

Eventually I made contact with the local Dunlop import manager. Dunlop sell Cooper here, but not yet in these large wheel sizes. Once I started telling him my long sob story (as was told to all the other tyre dealers) he actually committed to help! What a refreshing experience. The end of the story is that they specially imported tyres for me (18") and my friend (17") to use on this trip. Also, based on this experience, Dunlop will now stock the Coopers in 17" and 18" for the D3.
Well, we hope the tyres arrive in time for our departure, but even if they don't, we have at least made a difference in our market and hope that other D3 owners don't have to go through so much hell just to get a set of off-road tyres.

Any SA D3 owners out there PM me and I will send you the details of the gent to contact at Dunlop. Once we return from our trip in mid-July, I will have pics posted on my gallery, and hopefully a full report on the performance of the Coopers.

Post #6339413th Jun 2006 2:55 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Sounds like a result Baben, hope U get the tyres in time. I'll hold out til Wife's car needs new tyres & get hers fitted with Grabber AT2s.

Hope U enjoy your trip, that's a mean looking trailer. Look forward to the pics. Buy do we Brits live in a boring country!

Post #6339613th Jun 2006 3:06 pm
Baben

Thanks. By the way, the trailer isn't going, because of the terrain being too difficult especially on one stretch called van Zyl's pass. There are some who have taken trailers down there, but with 2 little boys and the missus (not to mention our new D3!) I don't want to risk it the first time with my limited experience.
Will post some pice of the mods we made to the D3 as soon as I get to it.

Post #6340013th Jun 2006 3:14 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I'm now looking for a set of tyres for my 17" wheels. As these wheels are just a spare set for off-road use only, I'm looking for something that is least 50% of road use. The original tyres are 235/70R17.
At the weekend, I saw some Cooper Discoverer STT tyres on 17" rims (sorry I've forgot your name!). They were 245/70R17. Before I got ahead and source these tyres, what can you change in terms of the sizing (and by how much) when getting replacement tyres (i.e. 235 becomes 245)?

Matt  
Post #6340213th Jun 2006 3:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

Matt there are lots of posts on the topic of what size fits etc. If you search on tyres you should get most of them. Maybe Martin might be able to consolidate some of them into one? It would be a great reference, although probably a bit of a challenge to find them all.

For my local friend, the only size we could get on 17" was 245/70 R17 STT
I think your best bet is to find a decent tyre dealer who can advise you on this, because a lot depends on what is available in your country.
Personally I am taking a big gamble fitting the cooper 275/65/18 because this turns out to be almost 2" bigger than stock, but one of the disco.co.uk guys did a great post on how they just fit (with maybe a bit of plastic trimming) so I am jumping in with both feet, because its the only size I can lay my hands on anyway.

Post #6341013th Jun 2006 3:56 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

I've fitted the Cooper STT 245/70/17 and the Mickey Thompson MTZ 265/70/17 tyres to my Disco without a drama. No rubbing or binding issues (although I think having the ARB bull bar helps here).

If you can get them, the Mickey Thompson's are a "80% offroad" mud tyre, but much quieter than the Coopers on-road.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #6353514th Jun 2006 1:19 am
Jamo

Australia 

Wasn't General Grabber on the Benny Hill Show??
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #6353614th Jun 2006 1:31 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Jamo wrote:

Now that's showing your age!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #6355714th Jun 2006 8:55 am
tony bennett

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
Jamo wrote:

Now that's showing your age!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Twice Very Happy

CliffH had some nice looking Coopers on his baby.

Although tyres for light offroading or Iceleand might mean two different sets DSL, what do you think?
 regards
tony
05 "Battlestar Galactica"
In 7 years ownership
09/13 New Battery (I did that)
11/13 new alternator. (I did that)
2 x EGR Blanked. (I did that ) 

Post #6356014th Jun 2006 9:01 am
DSL

Ukraine 

tony bennett wrote:
Although tyres for light offroading or Iceleand might mean two different sets DSL, what do you think?

Trying to get away with road tyres for day to day use but change to something like AT2s for anything else, whatever I get for any offroading will have to do for any trips to Iceland or anywhere where leaving roads. Did a trip to Iceland in 2003 & dirt roads are not to bad, most could take a normal car if it were not for rivers. Only one stretch of really demanding slow driving in whole trip, took us 3 hours to cover 15km. Was in Defender TD5 with road tyres.

Havn't told wife of plans but this is intended for her car. I think I better start practicing ducking!

Post #6357014th Jun 2006 10:07 am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Price of Cooper STT tyres?

Has anyone got any prices recently of Cooper STT 245/70R17 tyres?
I've just ordered a set of four and these will cost approx £536 fitted, including VAT and dispersal of the old tyres. I was wondering if this was a good price. I'm getting them through someone in the family who is in the tyre trade, so it's convenient. Seems an expensive tyre though.
 Matt  
Post #6507920th Jun 2006 7:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >