DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Rectifying a misfuel - DIY at the petrol station + photos
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

craigside wrote:
This post saved me a fortune...

Last week I put 31L of unleaded in my D3 before realising and then brimmed it with 52L Diesel. Drove home 4 miles, then started to worry.

Found this post and followed the instructions from which I pumped out 90L fuel, purged through with new diesel and restarted. 1 week later all is well.

Thanks!! Very Happy

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic89582.html

Thumbs Up

Pleased it worked. It is time consuming, but if you have time and can dispose properly of the fuel, why not?
 PAGODA  
Post #10473492nd Feb 2013 1:02 pm
projectsalop

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Re: Fuel Angel

MikeS2005 wrote:
Hi
Why dont you just buy a fuel angel they cost £34.90 +P&P and it stops you misfuelling if it saves you once it saves you a fortune we sell alot of these to the emergency services
Ive got one fitted to my D3.
cheers

I have PM'd Martin about organising a possible Group Buy for Fuel Angel. I'll post on progress in the next 24 hours. (I notice that other forums offer discount codes)

Richard
 I love the smell of FBH in the morning... The smell, you know that gasoline smell... Smells like...victory!

(With apologies to Apocalypse Now!

Post #10474152nd Feb 2013 3:09 pm
fishinmad

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Rectifying a misfuel - DIY at the petrol station + photo

disco_steve wrote:
pagoda wrote:

3. Do not turn on the ignition (this will activate the HP fuel pump, which is the thing you are trying to protect).

One small query Whistle

Isn't it driven by the engine, so the engine would have to turn over (start) for the HP pump to operate Rolling Eyes

No, on many cars when you press unlock or even open the door you can hear the sound of the fuel pump working, it pumps a limited amount of fuel to the injectors, this why modern cars start much easier than the old days when the first turns of the engine where pumping the fuel! Thumbs Up

Post #10474402nd Feb 2013 3:41 pm
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

projectsalop wrote:
I have PM'd Martin about organising a possible Group Buy for Fuel Angel. I'll post on progress in the next 24 hours. (I notice that other forums offer discount codes)

As thinking about a Fuel Angel would be interested in a group buy if the price was right Thumbs Up

Post #10474622nd Feb 2013 4:15 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
Re: Rectifying a misfuel - DIY at the petrol station + photo

fishinmad wrote:
disco_steve wrote:
pagoda wrote:

3. Do not turn on the ignition (this will activate the HP fuel pump, which is the thing you are trying to protect).

One small query Whistle

Isn't it driven by the engine, so the engine would have to turn over (start) for the HP pump to operate Rolling Eyes

No, on many cars when you press unlock or even open the door you can hear the sound of the fuel pump working, it pumps a limited amount of fuel to the injectors, this why modern cars start much easier than the old days when the first turns of the engine where pumping the fuel! Thumbs Up

As the fuel lines are primed anyway it won't be able to pump any extra fuel to the injectors as the low pressure pump can't pump fuel past the high pressure pump, which will already be primed as well.

It won't reach the injectors unless you start it.

Post #10475532nd Feb 2013 7:00 pm
projectsalop

projectsalop wrote:

Richard

Oops! I misread the Group Buy rules and have now approached one of our Site Supporters who retails the Fuel Angel. (I have also taken back my PM to Martin, per the GB rules)

Will post again with an update in the next couple of days.
Richard
 I love the smell of FBH in the morning... The smell, you know that gasoline smell... Smells like...victory!

Post #10492564th Feb 2013 11:50 pm
projectsalop

projectsalop wrote:
MikeS2005 wrote:
Hi
Why dont you just buy a fuel angel they cost £34.90 +P&P and it stops you misfuelling if it saves you once it saves you a fortune we sell alot of these to the emergency services
Ive got one fitted to my D3.
cheers

(I'm thinking) about organising a possible Group Buy for Fuel Angel. I'll post on progress in the next 24 hours. (I notice that other forums offer discount codes)

Richard

I've exchanged messages with one of the Site Supporters and we'd need at least 100 interested to generate a further discount over what's already on offer. Probably not enough to get this off the ground--particularly as D4s apparently already have misfuelling protection.

But with the Fuel Angel at less than half the price of a fill up, for anybody that fears a lapse of concentration at the pump, it's probably still a good idea.

Post #10500466th Feb 2013 9:27 am
blue200tdi

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

That's a lot of mucking about when you could just add a litre or two of engine oil or two stroke oil then add 20 - 30 litres of diesel. Very Happy
 You guys are gonna be busier than a test bench in a plunger factory!
Java black 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE AUTO.
2014 Kawasaki ZZR1400 Performance sport. 

Post #10504526th Feb 2013 9:48 pm
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Well having committed the sin of putting 28 liters of unleaded into the D3 yesterday and driven not having realized for a couple of miles before the engine started with the stutters I tried today Pagoda's method to evict the offending fuel ..... Gotta say absolutely brilliant Thumbs Up . Thankfully after refueling with diesel once more everything is for now running ok - guess going to have to play the waiting game to see if there is any long term damage .

Nice one fella

Thumbs Up

Post #112167023rd Jun 2013 3:25 pm
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #112167823rd Jun 2013 3:58 pm
iand3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Excellent write up and very useful info. Though in the OP case i think i'd have just brimmed it with diesel and you'd have been fine. To completely fill the car with petrol seems abit dumb to me but at least this tip can be used then, though I'd probably call the RAC instead, alot safer than messing with draining fuel on a forecourt.
 Current: D3 TDV6 S; GGAT's, DIY 7inch Tablet mount, DIY Reversing Camera, Stage 1 remap, EGR delete

Previous: Freelander TD4, D2 V8, D1 TDI, Series 3 Petrol plus Numerous performance cars! 

Post #112169023rd Jun 2013 4:44 pm
simoniz

I sure did ..... then denial believing I had fueled correctly , even to the point where I called the fuel station to suggest that on pump 2 the diesel hose was dispensing unleaded Shocked Rolling with laughter . They checked and called me back to confirm diesel coming out of that pump hose - still wanting to believe that I had fueled correctly I very assertively stated that I had used the right hand hose on pump which was the black one so it should have been diesel .... Right hand hose sir , pump 2 .... That's green you have put unleaded in your vehicle Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed , ends call very quickly .

Well only the 2nd time in 25 years I have done this - needless to say would not recommend it !!!

Post #112169423rd Jun 2013 4:54 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

simoniz

Stick some 2S oil in the tank or the first couple of tanks to help lubricate all parts again.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #112169623rd Jun 2013 5:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simoniz

Cheers Flack - on my shopping list for tomorrow Thumbs Up

Post #112170123rd Jun 2013 5:03 pm
Macpic

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The write up is great, but I'm afraid you lost a lot of time.

In this case, just brim with diesel and add a couple of paraffin based additives. That's the only difference between petrol and diesel : paraffin. Thumbs Up

Post #112173823rd Jun 2013 6:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >