Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

How much 2 stroke oil should I add to my diesel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 30 <123 ... 282930>
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

You've not done bad if you have been running man made oil in fuel for 2 years Shocked

Have you had a look in your intake manifold ? It might be an idea to take out the injectors also ? They could be pretty fouled up ?
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #93552126th May 2012 1:22 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

yamaha-fan wrote:
To all:

Def: yes, fill in 0,3 litre of 2-stroke oil with every tank filling. You will notice a surprisingly big difference in the smoothness of your engine running, the noise level is reduced, particularely when the engine is cold, and the fuel ecconomy will increase besides the described other advantages.
The 2-stroke oil I can recommend from my own experience (value for price) is the Liqui Moly 2-stoke oil, semi-synthetic, Product no. 1052 (blue plastic bottle). The use of 2-stroke oil is recommended also for diesel engines without DPF. If you "forget" to fill in the little dosis of 2-stroke oil - no problem. Just fill it in the next time.
Everybody who has used the 2-stroke oil in his/her diesel engine has confirmed that they could not have done better.

Evanessen: see above. Do not use fully synthetic 2-stroke oil, as too expensive, and you do not really need this high quality for your purpose. Semi-synthetic will do.

npinks: the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will under normal circumstances not be evident, as the 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel by forming an emulsion, which will not seperate.
As I have said, we have to undergo every 2 years a pollution control inspection by our TUV, and the emission values as measured are by far better with use of 2-stroke oil than without. I have not come accross any case in which a car manufacturer has waived its guarantee obligo for cars which have used this 2-stroke oil (off course, not knowing this).
Dismantling the test diesel engines after the 2-stroke oil test has revealed that such engines have been in an extroardinary clean and top condition. So why should any car manufacturer have any reason to waive any guarantees (for whatever technical reasons) if the concerned engine is otherwise in a clean and top condition.

Yamaha-Fan

There you go, looks like ANY 2-stroke oil will be fine, as long as it is low ash Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #93552426th May 2012 1:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Garym2000

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Is this the right stuff ? : http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...yId_255223

Post #93552926th May 2012 1:58 pm
Wiggy Man

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi guys

I do the same as Chalky, buy a litre bottle from sainsuburys petrol station and pour in approx a 1/4 of the bottle. Don't do it religiously but if you have to fill up at a supermarket i pick up a bottle. Stick it in rear door pocket , easy peasy.

Thumbs Up

Post #93553326th May 2012 2:12 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Garym2000 wrote:
Is this the right stuff ? : http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...yId_255223

Yes, pretty much. It doesnt say what JASO rating it is in the description, but it sould say on the bottle.

Personally, I wouldnt go any lower than JASO FC Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #93553526th May 2012 2:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've been doing this for a while now in similar quantities as stated here, both in the D3 and now in my Cooper D Mini as well, I can certainly tell the difference when I've forgotten to add it or have run out.

Just lately though, I've been adding a bit of mineral EP90 gear oil to the mix as well or instead, this seems to work just as well and needs a little bit less for the same effect. I pre-dilute it with a little bit of diesel just to make sure it mixes in OK.

It's some old stuff (Royal Snowdrift?) that I got off Freecycle ages ago intending to use it in my 90 for the diffs and transfer box, the 90 has gone now but I've still got the oil so I thought I would put it to good use.

No ill effects so far Thumbs Up
 Clive

Post #93553726th May 2012 2:47 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Disco_Mikey wrote:
yamaha-fan wrote:
To all:

Def: yes, fill in 0,3 litre of 2-stroke oil with every tank filling. You will notice a surprisingly big difference in the smoothness of your engine running, the noise level is reduced, particularely when the engine is cold, and the fuel ecconomy will increase besides the described other advantages.
The 2-stroke oil I can recommend from my own experience (value for price) is the Liqui Moly 2-stoke oil, semi-synthetic, Product no. 1052 (blue plastic bottle). The use of 2-stroke oil is recommended also for diesel engines without DPF. If you "forget" to fill in the little dosis of 2-stroke oil - no problem. Just fill it in the next time.
Everybody who has used the 2-stroke oil in his/her diesel engine has confirmed that they could not have done better.

Evanessen: see above. Do not use fully synthetic 2-stroke oil, as too expensive, and you do not really need this high quality for your purpose. Semi-synthetic will do.

npinks: the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will under normal circumstances not be evident, as the 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel by forming an emulsion, which will not seperate.
As I have said, we have to undergo every 2 years a pollution control inspection by our TUV, and the emission values as measured are by far better with use of 2-stroke oil than without. I have not come accross any case in which a car manufacturer has waived its guarantee obligo for cars which have used this 2-stroke oil (off course, not knowing this).
Dismantling the test diesel engines after the 2-stroke oil test has revealed that such engines have been in an extroardinary clean and top condition. So why should any car manufacturer have any reason to waive any guarantees (for whatever technical reasons) if the concerned engine is otherwise in a clean and top condition.

Yamaha-Fan

There you go, looks like ANY 2-stroke oil will be fine, as long as it is low ash Thumbs Up

Thank you Disco_Mikey Thumbs Up
O yee of little faith Whistle
100ml per 20ltrs of diesel, A 330ml plastic pop bottle treats 65 ltr of fuel, just about right for a tank refill.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #93553926th May 2012 2:55 pm
kingofthesparks

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I always use 500-600ml per tank and it's over 350,000 and going strong, 355,164 to be precise Thumbs Up

Post #93554126th May 2012 3:10 pm
M3DPO

chalky wrote:
M3DPO - are you sure that is correct ?

I looked into this in great detail before I embarked on the voyage, the general consensus was the cheaper the better ?

If you are right I agree with above post ref quiter start up etc smoothed out idle ! But both my EGR's are fubarred so maybe my low spec mineral oil has helped them deteriorate ?

If the mineral 2 stroke oil you have been using is low ash it will have in fact preserved your EGR's, without it they would have failed earlier, if the oil was not low ash it will not have done any harm, quite the contrary, it will have done good.
Two stroke oil is classified as a diesel oil, it could be possible to run a diesel engine on it, when added to diesel it emulsifiers with a chemical action and cannot be identified in the diesel, not like lubrication oil which is purely diluted and will not burn the same as two stroke when it is mixed with diesel, lubricating oil added to diesel will down grade the diesel and should not be added, 2 stroke added to diesel will upgrade it and promote better/cleaner combustion.
When the sulphur content of diesel for derv's (not agricultural) was reduced about 2 years ago to reduce emmissions the lubrication qualities of diesel was dramatically reduced, by adding 2stroke these lubrication qualities are replaced.
Mercedes and Volvo have been adding it for years, particularly in countries where the quality may be suspect.

Post #93554326th May 2012 3:33 pm
JAB

Netherlands 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Still running in the D4 2012, is it wise to use 1:200 2T oil allready?
 2012 D4 sdv6, mapped & 2016 D4 sdv6
Club sump plate
Club dual battery
Club Duratrac
Club rocksliders 

Post #93564526th May 2012 10:50 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi All,
This is an interesting discussion.

Please note that I am in Australia, but I find that BP and Shell diesel perform better in my D3 than do other brands. (and that discount brands are rubbish). One explanation for this is that BP and Shell already include (the equivalent of ?) two-stroke oil in their fuel.

Two points arise from this:
1. It would help this discussion if people included their typical fuel supplier, and
2. What would be the impact of adding two-stroke oil to fuels that already had the additive?

As a further point, my servicing dealer adds Forte at each service. How does this compare with two-stroke?

I look forward to your replies,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #93567827th May 2012 6:20 am
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

On the Fuel side of things i tend to only ever fill up at SHELL garages !

It goes back to my petrol powered days i think when Optimax was the suposed miracle fuel for more bang !

I've now got an app on my iphone so that i can find the nearest one when i am in unfamiliar territoty Embarassed
If i put supermaket fuel in my D3 it knocks and ticks like a old perkins engine, even the addition of 2T doesent smooth it out.
So i try and always use fuel from a reputable fuel retailer.

When i add 2T to the Shell fuel i notice a difference, basically all the above mentioned and maybe even better economy !

For all intenets and purposes this could be snake oil ! it could even be a pre cursor for something that is going to go pop and detonate the engine !
The thing is if it does happen then i've only got myself to blame, i dont have a warranty as my blood pressure and hairline breaking point cant cope with arguing about who's fault it is ! there is a degree of know how in that many people have applied this to their fuel now and some have been doing this for a couple of years.

i've got to admit that there is a degree of sceptasism about this ! when i have some one in the car and i stop to fill up and throw in the contents of the little bottle you can see them thinking theres no way we are going to get there now ! who the Flup throws chainsaw oil in their fuel tank !

Rolling with laughter
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #93570927th May 2012 9:01 am
M3DPO

JAB wrote:
Still running in the D4 2012, is it wise to use 1:200 2T oil allready?

Yes definately, especially if you intend keeping the car long term, the sooner it is used the sooner it will protect your engine, keep it clean internally and lubricate the fuel system, it only works while it is in the fuel.
It can be put in any mileage engine, higher mileage engines (100k+) may take one or two fillings to get best results and clean away carbon/soot deposits, the exhaust may smoke for a while as it is burning the deposits off.

Post #93581327th May 2012 7:03 pm
Garym2000

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have put some in my d3 today will post back results. I got mine from Asda £5.

Post #93582127th May 2012 7:31 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Same here, good deal right now from Asda Direct £5 Thumbs Up

Post #93582527th May 2012 7:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 30 <123 ... 282930>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >