Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

How much 2 stroke oil should I add to my diesel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 28 of 30 <123 ... 27 282930>
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Almost essential to use it on all Diesel engines running on DERV (white) diesel.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #13850017th Dec 2014 9:12 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Just make sure it's OK For use with DPF's Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #13850037th Dec 2014 9:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pinchy

Poland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 3

Bought some actevo FD as no FC was available. Checked the "internets" and found that FD is an improved FC with increased detergency...but still a semi-synth.

Presumably I have a DPF -so I've been told by mechanic, but have yet to see the DPF cleaning cycle- I'll crawl under and check. Assuming all is confirmed, FD should be ok?

-hope Santa delivered some nice toys for all of you this year Wink

Post #139533325th Dec 2014 9:15 am
GTIR250

England 

There are a lot of arguments, mostly on motoring forums, about whether or not to add 2 stroke oil to diesel powered vehicles. The main argument is that this will improve the lubricity of the fuel, particularly low sulphur(50ppm/10ppm) diesel.

Sulphur occurs naturally in oil. It is undesirable for various reasons. The main reason is that the sulphur from the exhaust pipe forms sulphuric acid in the atmosphere which results in acid rain. In the vehicle it pollutes the engine oil reducing its life. Using a low sulphur diesel reduces both the environmental pollution and the pollution of engine oil. In order to produce low sulphur diesel, the sulphur has to be removed and the process that removes the sulphur reduces the lubricity of the diesel. Diesel pumps and injectors rely on this to keep them lubricated.

Should I add 2 Stroke Oil to my diesel to improve its lubricity?

In short, you shouldn't. 2 Stroke Oil is designed for 2 stroke motorcycle engines, not 4 stroke vehicles. Vehicle manufacturers and fuel refining companies all agree that running 2 Stroke Oil in fuel is likely to cause complications and there have been reports of engine failures due to 2 Stroke Oil sludging up valves and injectors. As fuel refineries have produced lower sulphur diesel, so too have they added lubrication substitutes to the new diesels to the point that lubrication is now even higher than that of high sulphur diesel.

The vehicle manufacturers don't recommend putting 2 Stroke Oil in your diesel...
The fuel companies don't recommend putting 2 Stroke Oil in your diesel...
The 2 Stroke Oil manufacturers don't recommend putting 2 Stroke Oil in your diesel,
therefore logic dictates that there is no reason to put 2 Stroke Oil in your diesel!

Better lubricity, cleaner burning fuel, cleaner oil and cleaner air means there is no reason for any vehicle to run 500ppm diesel instead of 50ppm, nor to add 2 Stroke Oil to aid in lubrication.

Rolling with laughter what's THIS guy on about ? Rolling with laughter

Post #14047839th Jan 2015 10:59 pm
dervdave

United Kingdom 

`The vehicle manufacturers don't recommend putting 2 Stroke Oil in your diesel...
The fuel companies don't recommend putting 2 Stroke Oil in your diesel...
The 2 Stroke Oil manufacturers don't recommend putting 2 Stroke Oil in your diesel`

What do they know ? Whistle

Post #140485310th Jan 2015 8:27 am
GTIR250

England 

"What do they know ?"
Rolling with laughter

Post #140530410th Jan 2015 9:05 pm
lancsamb

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have been adding 2 stroke for over 5 years and my engine is so quiet, seriously think about what two Stoke does for a petrol engine, it keeps everything moving so smoothly. Diesel is an oil based product and two stroke is an oiled based product. Nuff said

Landrover Discovery 3 TDV6 S 7 seat Automatic
Zambezi Silver my second love 

Post #145789113th Apr 2015 8:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hgbosch

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

GTIR250 wrote:
"What do they know ?"
Rolling with laughter

Hi lanscamb

in Switzerland we have a product called RubinG8, it basically is a combination of Redex and JASO-FC 2sO.

I use it in Switzerland in my classic cars and keeps them running sweet. In Switzerland and Germany they have now started to add ethanol to their fuel. This has been practised in South Africa since the mid seventies.

All the negative effects of this "new" sh#t fuel has can be counteracted by this RubinG8. The guys from the Jag Club in Switzerland swear by it, because it prevents vapor lock. And it protects the tank against rusting as an added benefit.

I also use 2sO in all our 3 diesels, D1, D3 TDV6 and in the FFRR Td6.

And every morning in Winter when I start the D1 and it doesn't sound like a Massey Ferguon, it puts a big fat smile on my face. D1 is on 377'000km, D3 on 214'000km and the RR is on 236'000km.
 EX AFRICA SEMPER ALIQUID NOVI
SEMPER IN FAECIBUS SUMUS SOLE, PROFUNDUM VARIAT Shocked

with kind regards

George Bosch
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
2003 Range Rover Td6
1998 Disco1 ES 300Tdi (sold)
And some more serious stuff 

Post #145791413th Apr 2015 9:00 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 
question on mixing

yesterday while sorting out the garden equipment, had to drain and put in fresh petrol, the lawnmower has oil in sump and doesn't need 2SO however the rotovator is a mix petrol/ 2SO I was surprised that putting 2SO in a clear bottle then adding petrol that it sat in layers and needed a good shake to mix.

how well does the 2SO mix in diesel or does it do the same IE layers and slowly mixes, this could be the reason they say some valves have sludged up valves / injectors Confused
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #145799214th Apr 2015 6:11 am
hgbosch

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Hi popelka

we add 2sO and then fill up with diesel. In the fuel tank of a modern vehicle, there will always be a return fuel line from the injection system (petrol or diesel) and this returning stream of fuel is sufficient to mix the 2sO.

I don't know where that story with the "sludged up valves or injectors from 2sO" originated. But it must be one of the biggest BS stories that I have ever read Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Just make sure you use a 2sO that conforms to the JASO-FC quality grade.
 EX AFRICA SEMPER ALIQUID NOVI
SEMPER IN FAECIBUS SUMUS SOLE, PROFUNDUM VARIAT Shocked

with kind regards

George Bosch
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
2003 Range Rover Td6
1998 Disco1 ES 300Tdi (sold)
And some more serious stuff 

Post #145799714th Apr 2015 7:12 am
adam

United Kingdom 

Based on advice on this forum about 2.5 years (from George mostly Thumbs Up ) ago I started using Castrol Actevo 2ST - have done about 30K since then with 3 MOT's - touch wood, all good
Smooth running, reduced start up noise, cant really comment on economy
As George says, needs to be JASO FC.
When there was a scare of water in Actevo a while back (I've still got the batch numbers in anyone interested - mine were all OK), I contacted Castrol Technical Dept, they (a) confirmed IF there was water in the 2ST, volumes were so small same as having condensation in your tank and (b) they knew it was not uncommon for folk to use it small proportions in diesel to improve lubrication
1 Litre bottle = 4 fill ups for me

Post #145800714th Apr 2015 8:05 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Reading both threads - this one we are in right now

And this one one
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic83987-570.html

there seems to be two conflicting schools of thought about TSO in Derv in D3's & maybe D4's

Both threads reference learned guys on other parts of sister sites who would / should seem to / ought to know
Also this thread seem to waver as to whether you can add ONLY mineral TSO or maybe semi synthetic.

is it a case of:
D3/D4 users decide by "doing there own thing" & "hoping for the best" hoping for improvements in "noise" &"running" + whatever else & taking & accepting the risk of damage to injectors etc
or
There is enough evidence that TSO is beneficial & worth accepting whatevr to eliminate the issues of running & noise....

...at the end of the day & your Disco 3/4 is broke with lots of £s having to be spent to get back to Permagrin status is using TSO a good idea ?
after all ...it isnt a life or death / the D3 runs or doesnt run situation...is eliminating "noises"& "poor running" important enough to take risks
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #145813414th Apr 2015 12:57 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Worms, can of. Rolling Eyes

It's my opinion that current "evidence" points towards it being, overall, beneficial (at least, in the case of a D3). Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #145814314th Apr 2015 1:14 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Agree with both BLF and LFW (sitting on the fence here)
As I said, I've driven for over 30K with it in with no issues (crossing everything here) - but I'm guessing there is folk on here that will done many miles than that with it in so would interesting to understand if they are experiencing issues with any nasty side effects?

Its like the debate a couple of years ago regarding the engine oil additive - Lab reports stated positive, sceptics on here disagreed

Its a can of worms

Post #145815114th Apr 2015 1:20 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Well,I can sit on 2 fences at the same time..... 8)
I added TSL to my D3 and heard and felt an instant improvement....but I added TSO and noticed nothing.... or maybe that's because the TSL was already in there....or maybe that's because.....oh forget it..... Laughing
You'll never get a definitive answer,as quite often improvements are "perceived" ....if people are happy,and no damage whatsoever has been reported,I don't see a problem
Coincidentally,I just bought a litre of Actevo this morning,and am about to add it to my D4 for the first time,just out of interest Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #145816214th Apr 2015 1:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 28 of 30 <123 ... 27 282930>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >