Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Eureka - This May Be The Answer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
BN

England 

Raymond has just pre-empted my next comment. To ensure no problems, wait for the 'bong' and the words on the dash turn to the normal running mode. If you do, no problems will ocurr, I am certain.

Now could we have some brave and honest people to tell us that they have started up the car too quickly and received error messages, it is to help us all. The guys who take their time are proving my point almost conclusively.

Post #879028th Jul 2005 11:39 am
nobbyclark

On my current and previous Tdi 300 I was always told to wait until the glow plug light went out on the dash before starting the engine. Presumably the TDV6 is the same, so waiting for that and the 'bong' (yet to be experienced, until I actually buy one of the things...) should not be too much of a hardship. Usually gives me enough time to put the seatbelt on and move the seat to the correct position.

Post #879528th Jul 2005 11:55 am
BN

England 

Nobbyclark the glowplug symbol will often light up but when the vehicle is hot, warming should not be needed, hence the quicker starts and error readings that have been reported. Re your 'bong' you should have that unless you are in a country that has different specs. If you list your flag and location we can probably help a little. If you are in the UK, you should have the sounders.

Post #879728th Jul 2005 12:01 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 

I always thought it was "bad" to start a car so quick anyway - something about letting the oil get into the system? Or is that something that hasn't applied since the 1970's or something?

I have to confess that I am one of those who always waits for the glowplugs and always gives it 10 seconds for the turbo to spin down before turning off the engine. Anal, huh?

Post #880828th Jul 2005 4:09 pm
simon.foster

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Probably means your car will do 500,000 miles and mine will blow up next week!
 Disco 3 TDV6HSE Cairns blue auto
Defender 90 300TDi 1997 

Post #881128th Jul 2005 4:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Driving practices are debateable, but usually if you can start up and drive off carefully straight away and let the car warm up steadily as you drive, that is the best. To sit in traffic from the start and idle, will kill a car engine, use lots of oil and place wear in the engine worse than a hard steady drive.

The glow plugs are simply little heaters in each cylinder that heat up the and make the diesel fire when cold. Bit more complex. but that is a reason. Once the engine is warm, the glowplugs are basically redundant.

I am now fully convinced that 90% of electrical problems are as a result of starting the engine too quickly for the system or 'fiddling' with the controls with the ignition switched off.

If you sit with the key out and lift the brake switch up and down (as a child may do if left in the car) it will almost certainly give an error even the next day when first started.

Basically, don't touch the electronic controls or start too quickly and few, if any problems will ocurr.

Post #881428th Jul 2005 4:48 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

BN,
Think I may have an answer to your stalling concern, Marc mentions that the audible 'bootup' confirmation does not happen all the time, this is normal for 'warm - boot' systems, i.e. systems that take some time for an initial start-up and may be powered down in normal operation conditions, if the power down lasts longer than a pre - determined period, all the loaded data is then dumped, to allow a full systems power down, therefore requiring a full boot sequence once powered up again.
The way to prove this (if you got this far without brain fade....) is to carry out a normal start (with the audible indicator confirmation), stall the vehicle (if you can Shocked ) then turn off and immediately back on without starting the engine, allow plenty of time to check for audible / warning indicators and then start..... If you don't get any audible indication of sucess (or otherwise), the system has a 'warm boot' facility - nothing to do with the heater though Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes which is what i'd expect. it's basically the same as a laptop going into standby / hibernate when you close the lid and returning to its previous state when you open it again.... Very Happy

Cheers,

10forcash

Post #882628th Jul 2005 7:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

10, I have done all that and the 'bong' always sounds, but it takes up to 10 seconds on occassions. After that the normal dash readout displays. If this is carried out each time, never a problem. If the 'bong' and dashboard display are not waited for, problems.

Post #883028th Jul 2005 7:33 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

After filling the car up yesterday - unlocked, dived in, key in turned immediately, then put seat belt on. Noticed that although no 'bong' little dashboraddipspaly did continue to indicate it was doing its little system process check. Does this suggest that the system check continues regardless of ingnition and engine running state?

It was late yesterday whn with was onserved, but I may try this out warm boot and cold boot today and report back.

Paul
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #895330th Jul 2005 5:44 am
lawman

I have done 3000 miles now without a single error ever showing up EXCEPT ONCE when I switched on too fast. The car clearly needs time to run the checks and it is inevitable that errors will appear if you don't allow the computer to finish its work before starting. I told the valet parking at a hotel in France to be careful about this and the staff said they were already aware of it via previous customers saying the same thing about the new RRS.

Post #895630th Jul 2005 11:01 am
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

As we discussed it in another thread, this seems to be quite a good answer to some problems...

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8961#8961

If that "cure" hangs on for a few more days, you just might have solved a lot of Gremlins for us ! Thanks, even if in advance, for that good work !

Post #896230th Jul 2005 1:48 pm
BN

England 

Gurvan, the sad thing is I think that some errors NEED to be reset by the dealer to stop repeats. The Cruise Control I think is OK.

Post #896830th Jul 2005 3:40 pm
ducati

2 months ago I spent a Saturday offroading, and one of the other fellow Land Rover owners in attendance was a Regional Warranty rep for LRNA. He was chatting me up on my LR3/D3, and the first thing he said is "do you wait for it to bing-bong before starting?"

He said put the key in, turn to position one, wait for "3 bongs" and then fire. Basically a 1-2-3 count before firing the starter. His explanation was that the systems all sent around a "wakeup command" and if the engine was started before receiving "all systems go" it could cause some weird errors.

I have since switched to this method and I really have no problems with my D3.
 '05 LR3 HSE

Departed: '62 Series IIA, '02 Freelander, '03 Disco 

Post #92521st Aug 2005 6:41 pm
BN

England 

Ducati, my cars S and HSE only give out one 'bong' and then the dash settles down. If I carry out this procedure no probs. My question is what if I am off road with a failed hill ascent and have to carry out the procedure set out by LRE. I could end up with failures when I certainly don't want them.

Post #92571st Aug 2005 6:54 pm
ducati

Weird--mine bongs many times.

A ETC failure on a failed hillclimb would be a BAD thing!
 '05 LR3 HSE

Departed: '62 Series IIA, '02 Freelander, '03 Disco 

Post #93712nd Aug 2005 3:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >