Post #13049716th Feb 2007 4:19 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Load ratings...

The End  
Post #13050116th Feb 2007 4:25 pm
Mr Bling

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

So, from your table, it looks like I should have a load rating of at least 1090kg? (for the "111" rating I'm being told I should have)

The tyres on the 22's have a rating of 850kg, and those on the RRS wheels they've now sold me are 975kg.

If I'm understandingf the situation correctly, they have now TWICE sold me a set of wheels and tyres which are insufficient for the vehicle!

How would I go about getting an official opinion on wieght ratings? I'd need something in writing from a good source to take this issue further...
 2005 Disco 3 TDV6 7 seater. Leather, DVD, fully colour-coded.
1970 Triumph Spitfire Mk3
1981 Triumph TR7 FHC (16V Sprint)
2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7

MTD 12.5 hp Ride-on mower!!! 

Post #13078317th Feb 2007 8:39 am
fisherman

Wales 

You have rights Mr B.
If a dealer has sold you goods which are unsuitable for the purpose then you have to reject the goods formally in writing. Remember to use the words "formally reject" as it has a standing in a court, should it ever come to that.
You will need proof of replacements/punctures in the form of receipts if you want to claim for your replacements, and need to put that in the letter from the off.
The dealer will be regarded as "Experts" by the Office of Fair Trading in a case like this and you would have relied on their expertise to advise you on the correct choice. The fact that the manufacturer (LR) state a load rating and they sold you goods not fit for the purpose (Below that load rating) they have compromised their status of expert, and this leaves you in a position of strength.
I would quote from the handbook and use this forum to reference your new found knowledge (Best check with Martin first I spose) and demand a settlement (value of initial purchase plus replacements) within a given time period (1 Month).
I can't see any reason why you couldn't get the cost of your tyres back plus a set which are suitable.
Good luck!
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #13078417th Feb 2007 9:23 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

the coding/weight ratings i would imagine are set by the dept of transport and even just the chart provided give you the figures you need. any tyre manufacturer website will have an explanation of the codings used, so it's widely available information.
as Fisherman said, the manual is god and they're the codes/weight ratings you should compare. no wonder you had so many punctures on the 22's.

personally i would do as fisherman's stated, but also follow it up by using my legal cover from my insurer. but please be aware, that using underated tyres means that you are unlikely to be insured in the event of an accident. particularly once you explain to the insurers about the situation. i would demand a loan car from the dealer until it's sorted out. don't drive it to them get them to pick your vehicle up on a truck as you won't be insured......

keep us up to date on what happens, but 850kg is a huge drop from 1060kg!
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #13079217th Feb 2007 11:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mr Bling

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Looking in the handbook, it's not just a simple case of a weight rating for the vehicle, as it is also dependent on the size and width of the tyre (for example, an 8Jx19 needs to be 111, whilst an 8Jx18 is 112.

So, the next question is, what would the correct load indexes be for 285/35R22 (the "bling" wheels) and 255/50ZR19 (the RRS wheels) ??? Or, how would I go about finding out?
2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7

Post #13080817th Feb 2007 3:22 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

I'm not a tyre professional, but I would have thought that the 19s shouodl have the same load as the manual, and the 22's would be somewhere lower (but hard to determine if it should be THAT much lower.
The higher weight rating for 18s is probably to do with the bigger sidewall so needs to be stronger perhaps?

Who make the Bling Wheels? I'd contact them & ask them what they woiuld recommend for a Disco, or perhaps ask them what the max vehicle weight they would recommend for that size wheel/tyre combo?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #13082217th Feb 2007 4:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mr Bling

First job on Monday morning is to phone Kahn and ask the highest recommended vehicle weight for the wheel/tyre combo supplied...
2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7

Post #13082417th Feb 2007 5:10 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #13082517th Feb 2007 5:11 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mr Bling wrote:
If I'm understandingf the situation correctly, they have now TWICE sold me a set of wheels and tyres which are insufficient for the vehicle!
Yep, the 22's weren't even close The End  
Post #13084117th Feb 2007 5:54 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If they've just sold you 19" RRS wheels presumably they've got RRS spec tyres on which as well as being too low on the weight rating (as you said) are undersized for the D3
 The End  
Post #13084317th Feb 2007 5:58 pm
Mr Bling

What's the difference in rolling diameter between RRS and D3 then?
2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7

Post #13096218th Feb 2007 8:58 am
fisherman

Wales 

Hi Mr B
Just thought I'd give you an idea of how you should word your letter, so that it includes the right wording.

Dear Sir
With reference to the purchase of (Reg Number) from your dealership on (Date), I took your expert advice and upgraded the wheel and tyre configuration to 22" Kahn wheels and (Tyre make and size). Having suffered (Number) punctures over (Time period) I again asked for your expert advice and was told I could change to X wheels with Y tyres at a cost to me of £xxxxxx. I accepted your expert advice and purchased the wheel and tyre set.
Since that purchase I have looked into the problem in a little more detail and find that the load rating for the original wheel/tyre configuration was insufficient for the weight of the car. The Land Rover handbook quite clearly states that a load rating of 111 (1090kg) is required, whereas the set you advised me to fit at considerable cost were only rated at 102 (850kg). This is very likely to be the reason why I have suffered (number) punctures as the tyre/wheel configuration were not fit for the purpose in this application. Furthermore, the replacement set of wheels/tyres have a load rating of 107 (975kg) which is still below the manufacturers minimum limit and therefore not suitable for the purpose.
I therefore have no choice but to formally reject the goods as being not suitable for the purpose they were intended for.
In relation to the above, I now need to return both sets of wheels and tyres to you at the price originally paid to be refunded, and have supplied the original wheels and tyres for the vehicle at no cost. As the car is now unsafe to drive and possibly not insured due to the specification of the wheels you supplied, I will need the car collected on a transporter and a loan vehicle supplied whilst the fitting of the original wheel/tyre takes place. I will not be able to use the vehicle until it is returned to manufacturers specification and will therefore be hiring a vehicle unless you can react quickly to this correspondence.
Sincerely
Mr NSB

Or something like that.

Let us know how ya do.
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #13096618th Feb 2007 9:53 am
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Wow that was nice fisherman 8)

Mr. B I don't understand why the 18 would be at a higher rating than the 19, especially since the 17 is also at the 111 rating - sure there's a reason but it's probably irrelevant to your issue anyways.

The plus one rule (or in your case plus several Laughing) is that you should always be at or exceed the load rating of the original tyre specification. The tyre still needs to be capable of handling the same load.

Go get em tiger, good luck.
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #13098818th Feb 2007 12:15 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mr Bling wrote:
What's the difference in rolling diameter between RRS and D3 then?
One inch
D3 255/55 R19 diameter = 30"
RRS 255/50 R19 diameter = 29"

So the speedo on a D3 with RRS spec tyres on will read 3.3% too fast, will show 60mph when you're really doing 58mph, not a great difference and at least you won't be going faster than you think
 The End  
Post #13099918th Feb 2007 1:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >