Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Urgent help please - DPF
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Urgent help please - DPF

Hi, sorry I know it’s late.

I just replaced both inlet manifolds on my D4 MY16 this week. But I drove it back from Paris with the split in the manifold and before I got home it said DPF full, as to be expected as I had to drive back very gently..

Bothe manifold done (horrible job!)

So I’ve brought it out to run a dynamic regen, but as I drive toward the nearest dual carriageway I lost more and more power. I attempted to do the regen stationary as I couldn’t get the speed high enough to do the dynamic one.

I watched the soot content go from 35g to just under 6g by holding the throttle around 2000rpm for about 25 minutes.

Even when below 6 it still won’t give me power, if I try and drive it lucky if I get 5mph as I’m at tick over. In neutral I can rev up slowly but if I do I get a cloud of very think smoke from the exhaust..

Am I safe to do that to try and clear it out or am I likely to cause damage.

Should I get recovered and strip out the DPF and have it cleaned manually?

As always any help appreciated!
 Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #23583489th Jan 2024 10:39 pm
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

It will need plugging into diagnostics to diagnose the DPF and potentially do a forced regen….there may of course be other issues that will show on the fault codes that need addressing to resolve.

I would not recommend attempting manifolds without access to LR specific disgnostic tools………..

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #235837610th Jan 2024 12:42 am
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks, I have a GAP IId so no issues with faults, the only fault I’m getting is Rgr excessive pressure, which makes sense if the DPF is clogged.

I’m getting recovered anyway and going to take the DPF off tomorrow and take it to be cleaned out fully.

Not sure I trust these mobile guys who flush it through, I don’t think it will clean out one which is fully clogged .

Post #235837810th Jan 2024 12:47 am
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

The chemical clean will work if it’s just a clogged DPF, I’ve done a few now Thumbs Up the doubt arises if you don’t get to the bottom of the cause of the problem.

Apologies, I assumed from what you’d written that you didn’t have an IID Tool Embarassed

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #235838110th Jan 2024 1:14 am
James3LDR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

How did you get on with this Browny?

Not wishing to hijack this post but I too had a split manifold which is now resolved but a week later it's thrown this code...

P244B-68 (2F) Diesel particulate filter differential pressure too high (Bank 1) and doing some research before touching anything.
 MY12 D4 HSE  
Post #23633632nd Mar 2024 10:16 pm
Browny90

Hi, I did actually mean to come back and update..

So is replaced both manifolds and had the DOf pressure too high, when I was out trying the regeneration it turned out that I had snapped a cam chain, I thought maybe I’d caught something on the way back on with the inlet manifold, but was told by Joe at Oval autos that that’s highly unlikely and I’d need a hammer to damage the tensioned enough to cause the chain to snap…

Anyway, after I got recovered, I split the exhaust in front of the DOf hoping this would help (this is before I knew about the cam chain).. of course that didn’t help, I managed to get enough power to get back on my driveway. The next day I was looking around for issues and happened to glance in the oil filler.. it look although the cam wasn’t turning.. I made a pain mark and started and alas it wasn’t turning so of course had found the issue..
I spoke to Joe at Oval autos and get it booked in and sent there, it had Body off, head off, another head on (one he had built up on the shelf) can chain recovered from the sump and body on..

It cost me about £1700 + vat..

I think I could have done it myself but would have been a crap with the body on I think.. I was happy for them to do it..

Joe thinks I was just unlucky and the can chain snapped while I was doing the regen.. I’m not convinced and think I must have caught something on the way in 🤷🏻‍♂️ oh well..

Anyway he rebuilt it and the DPF cleared straight away..

All sweet now..

I did have an issue with Oval.. after I was home I noticed a smell.. the the low coolant light came on, I topped it up and withing a few hours the light was on again..

I tried to call them but no answer over two days, I also emailled a couple of times .. nothing back..

I stripped it myself and found the coolant intake housing had split around the seam, I guess as they were refitting the hoses this happened..

Anyway, it was £25 and took me half an hour so not an issue but was a bit worried if I had had more of a major issue they may have been hard to get to sort it..

Post #23633662nd Mar 2024 11:08 pm
Browny90

James3LDR wrote:
How did you get on with this Browny?

Not wishing to hijack this post but I too had a split manifold which is now resolved but a week later it's thrown this code...

P244B-68 (2F) Diesel particulate filter differential pressure too high (Bank 1) and doing some research before touching anything.

I’m assuming you’ve already watched this video, looks to me more like this is your issue and what I had..

I only had a severely blocked DPF because I drove it for 600 miles with a split manifold and it couldn’t regen, then a separate issue of the snapped cam chain..

I’d try what this guy did first, not sure how much that sensor is but if I were you I’d try and regen, if that doesn’t clear it I’d try a new sensor, then if not wiring..

Do you have an IID? Might be worth checking the pressure coming from the differential sensor..

https://youtu.be/XWFotdO_Ebk?si=D3JXkcuJx15t1EeA

Post #23633672nd Mar 2024 11:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >