Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Engine seized out of warranty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Charlie610

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I have to say I was always careful to warm up and spool down the engine, and my wife is driving miss Daisy.......... ours is still kaput.

Post #170738117th Sep 2016 6:29 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

lynalldiscovery

Not my words, but I agree with what is written here:-

Quote:
Until an engine is fully warmed up, the oil doesn't flow as well as it should through the engine. By putting the extra stress on the engine, you are not giving the engine the benefit of the free flowing oil it deserves. This causes additional stress as well as extra wear on the bearings, crankshaft journals, cam journals and lobes, plus the rest of the valve train. Seals don't seal as well when cold, so wear out faster due to more drag on their surfaces.

There is no magic number I can tell you to keep it under as far as engine speed goes. Just remember what I've said above ... The higher the stress, the shorter the engine will live.

Reading those words make me think about untabbed main bearings rotating, which is what I am trying to avoid ......

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #170738517th Sep 2016 6:54 pm
salmoner

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

There was an 11plate d4 on fleabay couple of weeks ago ,engine had given up with 330 thousand miles on the clock , it had wanted for nothing with a full LR service history my own d3 is showing 167000 and doesn't miss a beat , has an Lr history to 120000 then independent and since my owner ship flack has look after it ' my point being some discos going megga miles some with main dealer history some not ,yet some are breaking with low mileage, personally I would push LR to rectify this , if you can't get anywhere then take it to Dundee for DM to sort

Post #170738617th Sep 2016 7:00 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

An ex highways auth D4 on ebay 167k engine u/s, Im sure that will have been serviced on the button.

Post #170739117th Sep 2016 7:11 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

NJSS wrote:
lynalldiscovery

Not my words, but I agree with what is written here:-

Quote:
Until an engine is fully warmed up, the oil doesn't flow as well as it should through the engine. By putting the extra stress on the engine, you are not giving the engine the benefit of the free flowing oil it deserves. This causes additional stress as well as extra wear on the bearings, crankshaft journals, cam journals and lobes, plus the rest of the valve train. Seals don't seal as well when cold, so wear out faster due to more drag on their surfaces.

There is no magic number I can tell you to keep it under as far as engine speed goes. Just remember what I've said above ... The higher the stress, the shorter the engine will live.

Reading those words make me think about untabbed main bearings rotating, which is what I am trying to avoid ......

NJSS

I cant disagree with that at all, but in the real world, people thrash their cars/vans/trucks from cold, dont get them serviced on time dont lift the bonnet between services and you dont hear of other makes snapping cranks for fun?
I still think if its going to break it will break almost regardless of what you do to it.
Ive never pansied any of my car engines and Ive never had one major failure ever in nearly 28 yrs of driving.
Of course now Ive typed that!

Post #170739417th Sep 2016 7:14 pm
mozg31337

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

There were a few threads here about the engine troubles and a few options. The Land Rover one is the most expensive aparently
 Discovery 4 2010 HSE in Stornoway Grey
ECU Remap with economy tune
K&N air filter
Timed Climate Activation 

Post #170810019th Sep 2016 1:12 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

year...mileage and has it had full lr service...

Post #170820119th Sep 2016 5:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

A friend who lives up the road from me accidentally drowned her AMG Sport C class Merc in the floods we had last week. Just got info from insurance that the repair cost is 30k! It was just the engine that got flooded, no water in the car apparently.

It's a write off.

Post #170828319th Sep 2016 7:38 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Shocked That's a bill and a bit

Post #170828719th Sep 2016 7:44 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

She was drowning her sorrows in a bottle of red when she told me Laughing

Did you see the BMW M5 and the Transit van floating around under the railway bridge in Bramhall? I have seen it flood there regularly, but I've never seen it as deep as last week.

Post #170830119th Sep 2016 7:57 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Nope, I was down in London - God it was hot - trains back North were all over the place due to a (apparently) lightning strike at Cheadle Hulme that wrecked some points and local flooding that meant the Stoke / Macc trains couldn't get through to Manchester and had to divert via Crewe / Wilmslow - took about an extra hour Sad

Post #170830319th Sep 2016 8:04 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Your wrong....

lynalldiscovery wrote:
I cant really see that waiting for the engine to warm up will stop it failing, turbo spool down I can understand but as most people dont just come off the motorway and park up I cant see there being an issue in most cases.

Regardless of the make & type of Diesel or Petrol fuelled engine fitted, letting it warm up before hard use is not just a good practise but makes good engineering sense.
The first thousand revs any engine does is the most critical ....the first few thousand revs lasts no more than seconds & is the time it takes the oil (cold & thicker) has to get from the sump to the critical bearing surfaces on cam & crank bearings.
OK newer technology oils do more than older thicker less fluid types....bu can't do the impossible & gets to where it needs to go in less time. Fact of life & physics.

I have to agree that the current trend of extending service intervals beyond what I would have thought reasonable (more than 10k) doesn't remove the sludge & debris that accumulates in any engine more so on one that only does or regularly does stop start motoring. Regular oil changes however do.

I would never get complacent with any engine I had bought & had to support (& if failed have to replace)....by complacent I mean revving the hell out of it cold. My profession as a marine engineer taught me the right way, but it only endorsed what had been drilled into me by my late Dad when caring for & using internal combustion engines. His trade was learnt in a different "school" in North Africa, Italy & eventually Palestine....not just maintaining engines, but salvaging parts from anything to help win a war. Then running cars (old ones) to provide for a family, on really slim budgets....life lessons learnt the hard way. (God bless him)

It's maybe the reason I'm obsessive about dipsticks, oil levels, oil conditions & having the right oil in there in the first place & not be fooled or depend on oil additives.
Call me old fashioned.....yes but I own & drive vehicles that are not only capable & dependable but also long lived.

The engine failure problem that "dogged" some D3's I thought was restricted to a batch of specific years...I'm surprised it may be there on D4's, it will be interesting to see if this a trend that relates back to a design, manufacturing or even a materials problem & (the big &) if J/LR stand over this.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #170836319th Sep 2016 9:16 pm
mz mini

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Totally agree with what BLF is saying , on an BMW M5 the car will not rev past 4k revs until water temp is normal and then the red line move around in small increments as the oil gets warmer. In the Porsche world many wont use full throttle until oil temp is over 80+c on a cool day that takes 8 miles it has been clearly proved more damage is caused in the first 5 minutes then in the next hundred miles Thumbs Up
 Land Rover 90 - deceased Sad
Discovery 3 - deceased Sad
Discovery 4 2013
Mini Cooper S 1964 Mk1 - International Rally winner red & white
Mini Cooper s 1964 Mk1 - Road Rally champion green & white
Mini Cooper S 1971 Mk3 - original and unrestored Smile
Porsche 911 997
Porsche Boxster 3.4S
VW Polo 1.2
Citroen Xsara Picasso - shed/run around 

Post #170837319th Sep 2016 9:31 pm
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

salmoner wrote:
There was an 11plate d4 on fleabay couple of weeks ago ,engine had given up with 330 thousand miles on the clock , it had wanted for nothing with a full LR service history my own d3 is showing 167000 and doesn't miss a beat , has an Lr history to 120000 then independent and since my owner ship flack has look after it ' my point being some discos going megga miles some with main dealer history some not ,yet some are breaking with low mileage, personally I would push LR to rectify this , if you can't get anywhere then take it to Dundee for DM to sort

This is the main question!!!

A friend of mine has a 2.7 RRS Sport with 760.000km ( yes, 475.000mls) and the engine sound like new.....

He drive it hard, normal maintenance, only one torque converter, a gearbox revision at 500.000km, several suspensions arms, 3 time the shock absorber (only the shock absorber, not the pneumatic balls).

He changes the gearbox oil every 100.000km (never fluxed), engine oil every 15.000km.....

And here I read about D4 with less tha 30000mls with the engine sized.....

Another friend of mine has a 350.000km D4 3.0 SDV6 strong tuned, never change nothing on the engine.............

As a Engine Designer I do not understand......

Click image to enlarge

Viewing this image, my opinion is that the thickness of the boom between the main bearing and the conrod bearing seems "skinny", (I saw also a very raw machining marks, which probably create invitations to cracks) but why some Lion engines are extremely long lived and others not?
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #170841419th Sep 2016 10:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >