Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Engine seized out of warranty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
adam

United Kingdom 

If the filter was fitted incorrectly and it was a LR dealer service - not your issue....

Post #170584114th Sep 2016 6:02 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

adam wrote:
^^ After last service I had I checked the valley between the cylinder banks for oil given the horror stories on earlier posts

Sorry for the stupid question - how do you do this?
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #170587514th Sep 2016 7:01 pm
MHP

England 

I would be asking questions if you've just had a major service and then this happen Whistle Even if its not directly connected, you could push that somethings been done wrong or not to a high enough standard and get a bigger contribution Whistle Thumbs Up
 2009 Discovery 3 HSE - Gone
2019 Anniversary Edition D5 - Going
2019 HSE D5 - coming! 

Post #170587914th Sep 2016 7:05 pm
challenger23

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

To be honest I think issues like this really show whether or not a company is willing to stand by its product and its customers , I know a friend of mine had a similar issue with an early land cruiser 90,000 miles Toyota had no problem with taking care of everything not a penny out of his pocket.I I think if it's a known fault they should be prepared to at least contribute.

Post #170589414th Sep 2016 7:20 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

John C wrote:
adam wrote:
^^ After last service I had I checked the valley between the cylinder banks for oil given the horror stories on earlier posts

Sorry for the stupid question - how do you do this?

John - the only stupid question is the one you don't ask (or so a smart Censored at work says)

Remove the oil filler cap, remove the plastic engine cover (it just pulls of straight up), replace filler cap so crud cant get in, I get a chair to stand on (I'm only 5ft 9") and a torch and peer down into the middle of the engine standing at the side of the car - you can see the filter housing (dome shaped object) - any oil leaks in the area would be apparent. Remove filler cap, replace plastic cover (thump the corners so it pops back on), replace filler cap

Post #170592514th Sep 2016 8:08 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Thank you! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #170592714th Sep 2016 8:10 pm
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

But, on the D4, how can be mounted oil filter in the wrong way ??? Who can explain to me?

Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #170613215th Sep 2016 9:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
3disco

If the small tube on the bottom of the oil filter is not located properly it will crush the filter.

Post #170617315th Sep 2016 10:13 am
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

No small tube on mine.....

Click image to enlarge

different from this one
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #170619615th Sep 2016 10:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CRC@LandRoverVerified Account
Verified Account 

United Kingdom 
Re: Engine seized out of warranty

Charlie610 wrote:
Has anyone been to Land Rover with a seized engine when out of warranty?

Mine stopped on motor way last night Sad , my wife says it felt like she'd hit a pot hole then no power and gearbox fault alarm came up. AA tried starting but wouldn't turn over, I have put a spanner on crank shaft pulley today and it's solid so suspect it's seized.

Same thing happened to my friends one about 3 weeks ago, he has kept up his warranty and LR have sorted it out, he says the bill would have been £16000 Shocked . I have spoken to the central customer relations people and after a lot of stuttering and careful selection of words they said if it has seized they may be able to offer some assistance. Whatever that means.

I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else without a warranty and what the outcome was??

Thanks for reading.

Good afternoon Charlie610,

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to learn of your concern regarding your engine. I am however pleased to learn that this has been raised with the Land Rover Customer Relationship Centre.

I will be more than happy to ensure your case manager is provided with all the information stated on this thread, in order to assist their investigations.

However in order for me to do so, can I please kindly request that your provide your vehicle and contact details via PM.

Many thanks,
Amellia

Post #170631715th Sep 2016 3:04 pm
jonno1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

You now have your opportunity Charlie. Nice one Amelia.

Post #170643615th Sep 2016 7:02 pm
Charlie610

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

PM sent Amelia Thumbs Up

Post #170658515th Sep 2016 9:55 pm
Charlie610

Well the engine has been confirmed as seized by the dealership Big Cry but no word from LR yet.

Post #170682116th Sep 2016 1:12 pm
Charlie610

Well it looks like I'm out of the Land Rover club.

Late today I received a call from the dealership telling me that LR had decided to offer me a goodwill gesture of 20% off of the cost of a new engine, leaving me with a bill of £13391.42 which may rise if my car requires new turbos something which is likely if you ask me due to oil starvation when the engine seized. I stated I would not accept the offer as it is an insult considering the fault is down to their sub-standard product.

I have since phoned customer relations who were less than sympathetic and told me that well these things happen when you have done a lot of miles, my car has done just over 110K in my opinion a prestige car costing around 60K should be good for at least 250K if looked after, which mine has been, don't get me wrong I do not generally complain unless I feel it is worth it and if I was looking at a turbo failure or even the dreaded cracked inlet manifold issues I'd just get it repaired and foot the bill, however a catastrophic failure of the engine causing it to seize, leaving my wife in a dangerous situation, whether from a snapped crank or spun bearings is not something the consumer should be expected to stomach Evil or Very Mad !!!!!!

I'm at a loss as to my next step with this, I do not have that kind of spare cash to just hand over to LR for the repair, we are looking at selling the family caravan to cover the costs but we will still be short, enough of the sob story I'm just after advice now and maybe finding others in the same situation who may want to take some action. I'm thinking my first port of call could be the consumer services ombudsman either on my own or with a group complaint. Other than that I'm not sure where to go.

This whole situation stinks for a company who posted pre-tax profits of £1.56bn in May of this year, I even suspect that the 20% 'goodwill' gesture they have offered still leaves them with some profit from my nightmare.

One thing is for sure unless things drastically change I'm no longer a LR fan and will be telling people as such whenever I get the opportunity, having owned Discoverys since 1995 this at present is likely to be my last.

Post #170701016th Sep 2016 7:34 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

It stinks but you're not the first & wont be the last to get that, or worse. There seems no rhyme or reason as to what peeps get offered from LRCS.

Try PMing Disco_Mikey to see what he can do, will be thousands cheaper than what a LR dealer can do, even with shipping the car to Dundee. Thumbs Up

Post #170701816th Sep 2016 7:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >