Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Low profile trolley jack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
monty1

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Low profile trolley jack

Anyone using the SGS 3 tonne low profile trolly jack, I need one I can use for the D3 and will also be ok for normal cars

Tia

Post #217413716th Sep 2020 2:59 pm
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Good afternoon,

Unless I am mistaken (and I often am Whistle ), neither of those two jacks will lift your D3 high enough?

I bought an SGS Jack this summer (and have been using it last week faffing about with EPBs) but it was a "TJ2.5 4x4 Trolley Jack".

This one ............. https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj25-4x4-trolley-jack

They all appear to have a lift of around 530mm but without the extension piece, you will not get high enough. I know this as stupidly I forgot to add the extension piece to bring it off the jacks and spent twenty minutes scratching my head trying to understand why I couldn't get any further lift Whistle

You need the 'saddle extension' which does not appear to be part of the low profile one you are looking at Question

Failing that I would give them a ring. They are 15 miles down the road from me so I usually just call in and make any purchases direct.

Good luck.
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #217414716th Sep 2020 4:16 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Oh blimey don’t stay that, just bought this Big Cry

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj3lp-low-...olley-jack

May i ask what height do u need plse , indeed this one lifts 535mm / 21 inches

Have seen some of the jacking beams that can be attached to the above trolly jack, maybe I need to get that as well to get the correct height

Wonder if it makes much difference in what height setting u have on ur suspension when jacking , personally always set mine in off road height then pull F26

Many thks Thumbs Up

Post #217416416th Sep 2020 5:07 pm
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

This is turning into a scientific exercise Rolling Eyes

From what I can see all their jacks lift in the order of just over 500mm but a low profile jack obviously has a lower starting point. I’ve just measured the saddle piece that came with mine and it adds a further 90mm.

The beauty of this piece is it locates securely into the top of the jack and can’t slip out. My total lift is therefore just over 600mm. I had the suspension at full height, F26 removed and could get any wheel 50mm us above the ground. A few days later I can see the suspension arm dropped (sagged) another couple of inches (moving to imperial showing my age) and with the saddle piece in I could still overcome that.

Of course you can use a wooden block as a filler But the risk is a slip sideways.

Please bear in mind I’m an electrical engineer Thumbs Up
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #217417916th Sep 2020 5:46 pm
RATA1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I use this one:

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj2-5lp-lo...olley-jack which is:

Width of lifting assembly/arm - 150mm
Max Capacity: 2.5 Ton
Min Height: 75mm
Max Height: 515mm

and I got an adapter from eBay and the guy gladly turned it to fit my hole.

I only had it because I had a "sportier" car before - but lifts my D4 fine.

Hope that helps.
 In today's world, if you contribute something, you don't contribute enough. If you contribute nothing, you receive everything.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #217418016th Sep 2020 5:50 pm
gstuart

Kilovolt wrote:
This is turning into a scientific exercise Rolling Eyes

From what I can see all their jacks lift in the order of just over 500mm but a low profile jack obviously has a lower starting point. I’ve just measured the saddle piece that came with mine and it adds a further 90mm.

The beauty of this piece is it locates securely into the top of the jack and can’t slip out. My total lift is therefore just over 600mm. I had the suspension at full height, F26 removed and could get any wheel 50mm us above the ground. A few days later I can see the suspension arm dropped (sagged) another couple of inches (moving to imperial showing my age) and with the saddle piece in I could still overcome that.

Of course you can use a wooden block as a filler But the risk is a slip sideways.

Please bear in mind I’m an electrical engineer Thumbs Up

Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Many thks , looks like the jacking beam will then be my safest option

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tjb2-jacking-beam

Giving an extra 110mm closed height and a 160mm open height

Only concern if it’s wide enough , measurements is 700 ( 27” ) to 970mm ( 38” ) extended, unless its safe to use length ways on the chassis rail

Thks again for taking the time Bow down

Click image to enlarge

Post #217418316th Sep 2020 6:10 pm
MorganD379

Wales 

I bought this one, works great on the disco with the extension and can be used on the car... But not as low profile as what's been linked above.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj25-4x4-trolley-jack

Post #217418516th Sep 2020 6:17 pm
gstuart

RATA1 wrote:
I use this one:

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj2-5lp-lo...olley-jack which is:

Width of lifting assembly/arm - 150mm
Max Capacity: 2.5 Ton
Min Height: 75mm
Max Height: 515mm

and I got an adapter from eBay and the guy gladly turned it to fit my hole.

I only had it because I had a "sportier" car before - but lifts my D4 fine.

Hope that helps.

Hiya

Sounds painful Laughing

Would u happen to still have the link plse for the adaptor , many thks Thumbs Up

Post #217418616th Sep 2020 6:21 pm
gstuart

MorganD379 wrote:
I bought this one, works great on the disco with the extension and can be used on the car... But not as low profile as what's been linked above.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj25-4x4-trolley-jack

Many thks as that’s weird , my jack extends to 535mm but the one in ur link extends to 530mm , However I wonder how the heights compare between the D3/4

Thks again Thumbs Up

Post #217418716th Sep 2020 6:24 pm
gstuart

This kind of thing looks ideal, trouble it’s an American web site

https://reverselogic.us/floor-jacks/100mm-...-p80285202

The Reverse Logic 100mm tall (about 4") floor jack extender is compatible with floor jacks featuring a removable saddle. The extender can be used with vehicles which have high ground clearance (i.e. SUV) or to get additional lift from your floor jack in order to raise the tires high enough off the ground to use Race Ramps wheel cribs.

The extender consists of two basic components. The aluminum spacer is 100mm tall by 63mm in diameter (about 2.5"). One end of the spacer has a 25mm hole which is 40mm deep and the other end has a 30mm hole which is also 40mm deep. The second component is an 80mm long stainless steel bar. One end of the bar is 25mm in diameter and the other end is 30mm in diameter. Each end of the stainless steel bar has an M8x1.25 threaded hole.

The floor jack extender can be assembled in two different configurations. If the 30mm end of the stainless steel bar is inserted into the 30mm hole of the spacer, then the extender tool will work with a floor jack that has a 25mm stem on the saddle. The existing floor jack saddle can then be inserted into the 25mm diameter hole in the spacer. If the 25mm end of the stainless steel bar is inserted into the 25mm hole of the spacer, then the extender tool will work with a floor jack that has a 30mm stem on the saddle. The existing floor jack saddle can then be inserted into the 30mm diameter hole in the spacer.

A flat head M8x1.25 bolt is supplied to attach the stainless steel bar to the aluminum spacer. A hex head M8x1.25 bolt and fender washer is supplied to secure the floor jack extender to the floor jack.

Post #217418916th Sep 2020 6:29 pm
SPT

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have this one and it has no issues lifting it to a decent height, I wouldn't want it any higher to be honest.

I think this is about max height, on the rear diff Thumbs Up

Post #217419116th Sep 2020 6:32 pm
RATA1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

gstuart wrote:

Hiya

Sounds painful Laughing

Would u happen to still have the link plse for the adaptor , many thks Thumbs Up

It was a while ago and all healed LOL - the listing is dead now too (hence why the image is faded). He only has 2 feedback so may have stopped.
It was originallý for a Clarke but he just turned it down for me FOC.

Do a search "Landrover Discovery 3/4 Trolley Jack Adapter" and add to favourites to get alerted if it comes back?
On the SGS jack you need to take the Allen bolt out that holds the saddle and it fits in there. 22mm on mine. Nice a solid.

I am sure there was a thread on here of someone that made them as I asked if they could make and posted a drawing but no response.
If I had a lathe it would be a simple enough task to churn them out but I don't Sad.

(Found it - was in For Sale section - https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/sale-trolle...06-30.html )
Click image to enlarge
 In today's world, if you contribute something, you don't contribute enough. If you contribute nothing, you receive everything.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #217423216th Sep 2020 10:04 pm
monty1

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

gstuart wrote:

Have seen some of the jacking beams that can be attached to the above trolly jack, maybe I need to get that as well to get the correct height

Wonder if it makes much difference in what height setting u have on ur suspension when jacking , personally always set mine in off road height then pull F26

Many thks Thumbs Up

This is the one I’m looking at also, it’s more for wheel changes and brake servicing so as long as I can get the car on axle stands it should be ok for what I need

Post #217424817th Sep 2020 4:35 am
gstuart

RATA1 wrote:
gstuart wrote:

Hiya

Sounds painful Laughing

It was a while ago and all healed LOL - the listing is dead now too (hence why the image is faded). He only has 2 feedback so may have stopped.
It was originallý for a Clarke but he just turned it down for me FOC.

Do a search "Landrover Discovery 3/4 Trolley Jack Adapter" and add to favourites to get alerted if it comes back?
On the SGS jack you need to take the Allen bolt out that holds the saddle and it fits in there. 22mm on mine. Nice a solid.

I am sure there was a thread on here of someone that made them as I asked if they could make and posted a drawing but no response.
If I had a lathe it would be a simple enough task to churn them out but I don't Sad.

(Found it - was in For Sale section - https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/sale-trolle...06-30.html )
Click image to enlarge

Rolling with laughter , sorry couldn’t resist ,

Bless u and that’s very helpful, if I come up with anything will of course share the link

Alas there doesn’t seem to be any companies around here that could knock something like that up , good idea ref favourites

Thks so much once again and very grateful Bow down

Post #217432117th Sep 2020 1:33 pm
gstuart

monty1 wrote:
gstuart wrote:

Many thks Thumbs Up

This is the one I’m looking at also, it’s more for wheel changes and brake servicing so as long as I can get the car on axle stands it should be ok for what I need

If u get chance would u be so kind to let us know how u get on, alas haven’t used mine yet

Thks again Thumbs Up

Post #217432317th Sep 2020 1:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >