Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Orange "Check Engine" Light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Scott_Fred

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Orange "Check Engine" Light

Started car yesterday (4.4 HSE D3 2004) and the orange "Check Engine" light came on.

Anyone got any ideas what it could be, what the options are ? Looked in the manual and it mentions the Catalytic Converter if the light is flashing (and that you should stop driving immediately) but its on permanently for me.

Post #81132427th Jun 2011 9:05 am
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
First, assume it is a one time glitch.

I would first assume that it is a one time glitch, and hence nothing to get too worried about.

Also I doubt that driving with the light illuminated, red or otherwise, would do any real harm. For the most part, if the light is illuminated for good reason, all that probably means is that the emissions system is not right. It is not the same significance as an oil pressure light over over temperature light coming on.

Only once have I had the light go on myself and that was right after an oil change. I have a ScanGauge II and to my surprise, it was able to turn the light off. I suppose it may be that was because the MIL light is common on all vehicles and hence is simple to extinguish with non Land Rover fault code readers.

A Faultmate would of course extinguish the light and then if it came on again, then perhaps there is something wrong; also the Faultmate would probably give you a code number as a hint as to what is actually wrong.

First off however, you might try a hard reset of the vehicle.
You can do a search using +hard +reset as search words to find out how - basically let vehicle go to sleep, disconnect both positive and negative battery cables, and then join both positive and negative cables together for a couple of minutes or more - and then hook both battery cables back up to the battery. The link below is to some better instructions. I also note that it says five to ten minutes to remain connected so maybe my couple of minutes or so is not enough.

Doing this may also put the light off and if so, the light will either stay off or come on again.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic19547.html
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update. 

Last edited by bbyer on 27th Jun 2011 3:30 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #81144227th Jun 2011 3:13 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: First, assume it is a one time glitch.

bbyer wrote:
.............I have a ScanGauge II and to my surprise, it was able to turn the light off...............

Hmmmmm - interesting; I have a ScanGauge II also but it does not read the DTC's and so I've just invested in a FCR fron BBS. Just wondering if it may be possible to reset the Service Indicator in a similar way ??

Whistle

Post #81144927th Jun 2011 3:26 pm
bbyer

FaultMate is the good one.

You will note that I said "to my surprise", that the ScanGauge reset the MIL light.

For certain, the ScanGauge will not reset the service indicator. On the early 3's, only the dealer T4 or the Faultmate will reset the service indicator. On later 3's, Land Rover changed the procedures so that one could manually reset the service indicator from the dash somehow. That can also be found somewhere via a search of the threads,

You will find the Faultmate useful for much more than resetting the service indicator however. It will quickly pay for itself should real trouble develop plus you can update your early 3 to a newer 3 in some software areas.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #81146227th Jun 2011 3:37 pm
Scott_Fred

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks bbyer.

Did the hard reset and the light has gone off. Appreciate your input.

Cheers.

Post #81147127th Jun 2011 3:45 pm
bbyer

Now we wait and see if the light comes back on.

Scott_Fred wrote:
Thanks bbyer. Did the hard reset and the light has gone off. Appreciate your input. Cheers.
That is good news and I appreciate the update.

If the light comes back on, the question is still why? In the past on simple vehicles where I actually knew where the sensors were located, I would first remove and reattach the electrical connector just in case corrosion had set in.

My next step was to replace one at a time, the various sensors that were easy to get at as it was cheaper to buy and replace than it was to pay someone to troubleshoot. Easy to get at meant not changing the Oxygen sensor as it is expensive and hard to get at and hard to remove.

In the case of the 3, this is where a Faultmate comes in handy as the alternative is a Dealer with the T4.

You might however find someone with a generic OBD fault code reader that has Land Rover programmed into it. Given that you are trying to determine an emission problem, (we hope), most fault code readers can read the emission codes as US and EU law requires that the codes not be encrypted, (so to speak), and be available to normal shop equipment.

There are a number of interpretations of what that law really means so there are no guarantees that a normal OBD reader or ScanGauge would display a valid code.
Post #81148927th Jun 2011 4:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >