Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Towing Hitch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 38 <123 ... 363738>
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Tow Hitch

Hi Babin - thanks for the response and particularly the photos.

JH 972 - like you, I use a Treg hitch - but it looks like that should work with this device. It's just a bit early for me to order as this research was to determine if there really is an alternative to the LR disaster before actually ordering an SE TDV6. The standard item seemed bad enough to tip the scales against buying a Disco (given our off road use).

We're doing the big test drive weekend after next - then it's decision time! If we finish up buying, I'll definately be in for one of these hitches.

Post #14979719th Apr 2007 1:42 pm
jh972

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks Martin,
I too don't have my D3 yet, but it's on it's way. I have little time after it gets here before it's first trip, so I'm getting all the bits ready. I'll just wait to see if I get two more takers.

I'm sure the D3 is worth more than the inconvenience of the towbar - just look at the tone of all the posts on here. What other vehicle specific forum is so impressed with the vehicle - usually forums drag out all the problems and complaints! Enjoy yr test drive![/img]

Post #15003619th Apr 2007 9:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

What about getting one made here? I'll make some enquiries of a manufacturer and see what the cost is likely to be. Maybe we can make some improvements. Maybe just a slot for a standard ball tongue to fit into and be removed when not in use?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #15012819th Apr 2007 11:21 pm
Martin Krutli

Towin Hitch

Hi CaverD3

Manufacture in Australia would certainly be the best solution. If you are asking around, would you also check re suitability for use wilth the Treg type off-road hitch.

I've talked to a couple of towbar manufacturers in Adelaide and whilst informative, they weren't remotely interested.

Post #15015219th Apr 2007 11:54 pm
kenso

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Towbar

.. just need to know what they are weight rated as? ...are they rated to 3500kg? also I have a Kaymar twin wheel carrier on the back, will it still fit?

Kenso

Post #15017520th Apr 2007 12:51 am
jh972

Hi Kenso - I don't think they are rated officially at all yet. Karl mentioned something to that effect.
I wasn't convcerned because I can see that their basic design is stronger than the standard cantilevered holder, so it would be safe with 3500kg. If you still have acces to the towing eye, it would fit.

caver D3, getting them made here would certainly be best. Wouldn't be as cheap as the SA unit, but lack of freight would make it feasable.
I spoke to 4x4 Intelligence, who are starting to make D3 bits, (Simon Arch on this group) but they have no plans at present.
If I had more time, and a car to lie under and look at, that's the way I'd have gone.
I agree with Martin - I don't think a towbar place would be bothered, but there could be one. I think we need to come up with a design and then get it priced. Then there is the matter of approvals.

Also look at Rob Bruce's design in the thread "towbar not suitable for off road". That provides a flat tongue, onto which you could bolt anythig. Only problem is it means cutting off part of the existing as I understand it, making the standard towbar unuseable. At least with the BRS unit you can remove it and be back to standard.

Any engineering types got any ideas?
[/img]

Post #15021020th Apr 2007 8:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Haven't heard back from manufacturer yet will chase it up next week.
I would think an engineering shop would make one up easily enough.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #15023120th Apr 2007 8:59 am
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Hi Baben,

Fantastic towbar! Could you please post details of the suplier and I will attempt to order one with a credit card payment and have it shipped to a chum in Cape Town who can ship it over to the UK for me...

The flat plate that accepts the standard tow ball is just what we need as we have a pneumatic mast that bolts to that plate for doing radio surveys etc. Have missed using it since chopping in the TD5! Did not like the fixed LR one....

Thanks in anticipation... Richard.

Post #15095222nd Apr 2007 8:44 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Here you go:

BRS Off Road Accessories, Corner of Hall & West Streets, Selby, Johannesburg. Tel: +2711 834 4951 or 2, Fax: 834 4953

Speak to Karl

PM me and I'll send you his email. I don't think I should post it on a public forum

Mention my name, maybe I get some discount next time I buy off him Laughing

Post #15099822nd Apr 2007 10:15 pm
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I'm concerned as to how a Tregg coupling would attach to this hitch design... anyone done this?

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #15278528th Apr 2007 1:17 am
jh972

I'm planning to fit a Treg coupling Simon, either by bolting straight on (back to vertical plate) or, since I plan only to use this towbar with the Treg, by welding on.
You could also use the standard angle bracket which carries the ball, and bolt the Treg to that. There's a picture of that bracket on here somewhere....

John

Post #15278628th Apr 2007 1:27 am
IanR

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Came across this forum last night.

Have ploughed many a furrow with the OE tow pack towing off-road camper on tracks and sand - haven't been able to get suitable aftermarket replacement.

The SA solution a good starting point - worried about angle of top mount to recovery point, think it needs modification to cope with downward weight. i.e. more vertical support at top

On Monday will visit local steel fabricator who is 4WD nut who also builds off-road trailers. Will also suggest to him: modification where attaches into hitch slot, as well as replacing the variable height plate with a Hayman Reese style hitch point
 'S' TDV6, Air suspension, Terrain Response, Active rear diff, Safari Snorkel, Opposite Lock rear wheel carrier, OL drawer system, Cargo Barrier, Dual batteries with Rotronics isolator, GME 3440 UHF. Codan NGT HF, Asus UMPC running TrackRanger. Cooper LT245/70R17 STTs when off-road. Tow Ultimate off-road camper.  
Post #15278728th Apr 2007 3:10 am
jh972

Hi Ian

I think the SA solution is not meant to carry vertcal load by the top link - all the vertical load is carried by the tongue/hook which fits into the same place as the OE towbar (where the spring loaded pin goes). The top link is just to stop 'rotation" and the OE unit does this by being a tight fit into the wedge receptical.
I think from an engineering point of view, the SA solution is better in that the load isn't cantilevered. The downside is that the recovery eye is no longer useable (without an attachment) but then it isn't anyway if you have your Treg hitch at the "right" heoght.

John

Post #15278828th Apr 2007 3:30 am
Martin Krutli

Tow Hitch

Good to see we seem to be making some progress here.

Off topic - Simon where did you get the rear wheel carrier, does it cause any problems with the reversing sensors and did you have any problems with attaching it?

Had my first test drive today of a TDV6 SE (salesman's personal use car - 2005 and 40, 000K's - thought that was a bit strange as a demo vehicle). Happened to coincide with Sth oz'z drought breaking - torrential rain, etc. Very impressive vehicle - even 2.5 years old, didn't move on the road even with sheets of water acrosss. Given the conditions, couldn't really test off road, but fantastic on road and a couple of dirt tracks I tried. I still worry about all that technology and it's potential to go wrong somewhere out the back of Innaminka (or similar) though! I'm advised that if we order by 15 May delivery will be around mid Oct, any later and it won't be until around January 08 - astounding!

Martin

Post #15282028th Apr 2007 1:11 pm
catweasel

Re: Tow Hitch

Martin Krutli wrote:
Happened to coincide with Sth oz'z drought breaking - torrential rain
don't count your chickens just yet but heres hoping
Martin Krutli wrote:
I still worry about all that technology and it's potential to go wrong somewhere
they used to say that when independant suspension first arrived and also when ABS arrived etc. even the most basic of vehicles can go wrong, the D3's pretty tough. do you offroad much and where do you go.

welcome to the nut house forum IanR and Martin Krutli Thumbs Up

Post #15284728th Apr 2007 5:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 38 <123 ... 363738>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >