Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Towing Hitch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 38 of 38 <123 ... 363738
Doc

United States 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Graham

I have misplaced the contact details of my tow hitch supplier but I have emailed a mate of mine who might have the information. I will let you know soon.

Regards
Doc
 D3 2005 HSE V8 model, snorkel, nudge bar, uprated tow hitch (12T), Goodyear Wrangler MTR (MT) tyres, National Luna battery box, Outback roof-rack, Takla seat covers.  
Post #101027628th Nov 2012 1:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Graham69

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Tow Hitch

Thanks Doc,

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Post #101027828th Nov 2012 2:10 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Any tow hitch in Oz to comly has to be tested by an engineer and the rating along with a serial number for each hitch so it can be traced has to be attached as a plate to the hitch.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #101028428th Nov 2012 5:53 am
Graham69

Tow hitch

Dear Caver D3
I have a motorcycle helmet, Arai that I bought out of the us for $380 aus, it is EXACTLY the same helmet that I can buy in aus for $850 to $900 except it doesn't have the sticker on the back! It does exactly the same job but costs half the price because it doesn't jump through the hoops that the aus system requires. One day Australians will wake up to the fact that they are paying twice or more as much as the rest of the world for the same product due to government red tape! Hence the boom in Internet sales from overseas!

If the product is up to the task in hand then why not use it?

Regards

Graham 69

Post #101035328th Nov 2012 11:25 am
garrycol

Australia 

Explain that to the family you kill because this uncertified hitch fails - these certification rules came in because of the people injured and killed because of tow bar failures.

If you want a good after market hitch then get a Mitch Hitch from Mitchell Bros.

Aussie designed and built at a good price - and it works.

Maybe you might save some ones life.

Garry

Post #101036028th Nov 2012 11:35 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think the mitch hitch is as likely to fail as anyother but you take the risk if it does fail of your insurance not paying out and you being sued.
I agree that they should accept other forms of compliance though. Take the the Isofix (european standards) fittings which are fitted to european cars icluding the the D3/4 and even some D2s (european standards) not being legal here.
It looks like they have finally got around to doing someyhing about it:
The federal government has finally paved the way for the Isofix child restraint system to be legalised in Australia, more than a decade after it was introduced in North America and Europe.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/165625/isofix-...d-in-2013/
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #101037128th Nov 2012 12:30 pm
Graham69

Tow hitch

That is my point, a am in total aggreeance with you that any item used has to be safe and proven to be suitable for the task, and your example of the European standard is a perfect example.

Regards

Post #101060728th Nov 2012 7:59 pm
Doc

United States 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Graham

The tow hitch that I have is engineer designed and is fully load tested (in South Africa) to 12 tonnes (excluding the ball). I doubt these is another system on the market that is that strong. It doesn't have a serial number but I am sure the engineering firm that designed it could comply with this. It is certainly much better designed and stronger than the standard one that came with the D3.

I cannot remember the name of the engineering firm that manufactures them but the guy who owns the company (Richard) can be contacted on +27 82 452 2601. If you have any problems contacting him, I can make some calls and get hold of his email address.

Regards
Doc
 D3 2005 HSE V8 model, snorkel, nudge bar, uprated tow hitch (12T), Goodyear Wrangler MTR (MT) tyres, National Luna battery box, Outback roof-rack, Takla seat covers.  
Post #101087229th Nov 2012 1:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Graham69

Tow hitch

Doc,

Thanks for that, I will make a call and get some information.
Regards

Graham

Post #101095729th Nov 2012 10:50 am
lawrie50

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
My Mitchell Bros Hitch is up For Sale

My D3 and I have sadly parted company and now I have one of Mitchell Bros original hitches for sale. It was originally galvanized but I have since had it powder coated black. Still looks like new and now selling on eBay for half the price of new.
If you are looking to upgrade your plow then put a bid on and get the best D3/4 hitch ever on the market.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&...1758936888
 2007 TDV6 SE Towing 22' Boroma Primo Grandinata, Mitchell Bros. Tow Hitch, Bolle Tint, TomTom GoLive 825 GPS.  
Post #147622320th May 2015 12:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 38 of 38 <123 ... 363738
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >