Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Noisy compressor ..this may be why !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
sufun

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks Richard. Cleaned mine today and it was dirty. I wasn't sure how dry the foam needed to be but has stuck it back on as it was starting to rain.

As a person who knows nothing much about cars and mechanical moving parts, I find the disco3 site extremely extermely helpful. Not to mention all the members I have met at the various events are all really friendly and helpful. Thanks again Disco3.
 TDV6 SE  
Post #16150925th May 2007 1:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Don't forget to remove the protection plates/sump guards towards the rear of the engine you will also find a similar situation. I clean mine out every 2 or 3 weeks
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #16151225th May 2007 2:09 pm
gilmore

England 

Is there any way of stopping the mud getting into the compressor housing? I wonder if it's possible to seal it with plastic sheet/zip ties or maybe bathroom sealant on the joints on the compressor housing.
regs
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #16171126th May 2007 10:03 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

There is a c. 1cm drain hole in the bottom part of the housing..so they have planned for ingress..I don't know what the consequences of sealing the whole thing up would be ..i.e. heat etc Confused
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #16171626th May 2007 10:54 am
gilmore

England 

Cleaned mine out yesterday. Same story as above. Since I'd been offroad a few weeks ago the compressor had been:
1. Noisier than normal
2. Staying on for much longer than normal (or so it seems)

Could the two be linked?

I haven't had the opportunity to give it s thorough test since I cleaned it out.
regs
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #16195227th May 2007 11:49 am
nessie

Belgium 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

DG wrote:
There is a c. 1cm drain hole in the bottom part of the housing..so they have planned for ingress..I don't know what the consequences of sealing the whole thing up would be ..i.e. heat etc Confused

well I think (IMHO) that the result would be the same as it was fully packed up with mud and clay.
although the 'box' of the compressor isn't fully sealed ...

had the same thing happened with mine during my first roadbook Whistle
 D4
Disco4.com sticker

D3 11y, 425k km - sold, miss it though (MAR, DNK, NOR, SWE, SCO, WAL, MUD ...) 

Post #16196827th May 2007 1:33 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I cracked my housing and removed the cober to plastic weld it.
I found little mud but after I cleaned it I found the aluminium bracket had started to corrode. Shocked
I sprayed mine with WD40 before putting the cover back on.
If you are near salt water or have been to Fraser it may be a good idea to treat it.
When you have foam next eo metal things rust fast. I had foam between the fuel tank and bash plate of my Jeep CJ7 and the tank rusted out. Shocked
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #16229228th May 2007 11:46 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

Shocked I've cracked the plastic casing on the lower part so today I took it apart to see if I could 'plastic weld' it
Here's what I found ...

and here's the debris I swept up out of it

Partial sucess with the 'welding' but will have to get a new lower casing

Post #25188227th Jan 2008 11:47 pm
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Compressor Ingress

Quite frankly I'm amazed that the design is such that it allows the ingress of so much debris - I can perhaps understand wet mud getting in but largish stones as well?

On the bright side John, I guess you're looking for hardcore for your new driveway! Smile Smile

Post #25189128th Jan 2008 12:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

They're not stones! just various different colour hard lumps of MUD

Some were huge Shocked plus there was some bits of plants n twigs (but I think some of this was lodged in the space above the compressor top cover)

Post #25189428th Jan 2008 12:09 am
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Had a few problems with the D3 this week, some issues that are still ongoing Rolling Eyes
Ended up having to do some of my own fault finding, as the dealer made too many excuses - and found the cause of my problem - the compressor is howling like a banshee.

Whilst investigating this "howl" , i took the compressor cover off and found just as much crap in mine as DG did in his.
With the aid of a paint brush and an old tooth brush i cleared all the mud and debris out so now its all clean and sparkly before it goes to the dealer on Monday for a replacement compressor.

Guess i need to keep an eye on this more often. Rolling Eyes

Post #27641022nd Mar 2008 10:33 pm
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Have cleaned mine out several times now, just full of crud Shocked Last time it needed plastic welding, this can be done yourself Thumbs Up all you need is a way of heating a soldering iron, and have some similar plastic , then the process is just like [ sort of] soldering, just melt the joints together and add some of the extra plastic over it working over the join and away from it.
Mine was in a real mess but after plastic welding it Thumbs Up
Dont be troubled by it give it a go and you will be supprised Thumbs Up

I also have been looking at the possibility of mooveing the compressor up to the engine bay just in front of the battery, there is room, but all sort of pipes and wires to relocate, also wonder if the tempreture in the engine bay may be too hot, but it doesent get much cooling in the present position all encased in plastic and mud.
This is an idea I am thinking about doing when the warrenty expires with some other tomfoolery mods.

Rob

Post #27646523rd Mar 2008 7:23 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up Rob.
Did the same on mine when case got cracked. It is an easy fix.
Best plastic is old film cannisters (the black ones)

It would appear to be vulnerable where it is but I only know od broken brackets not broken compressor.

I was thinking of a compressor on the opposite side with a small tank for inflating tyres or air jacks.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #27647323rd Mar 2008 8:31 am
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Carver,
One drawdack of mooving compressor to engine bay is that spot would be good for an on board fixed compressor for as you say pumping up tires etc. saves a lot of trouble having it fixed with outlets front and back.
Oh well will see how I feel about it in a fiew months.
Rob

Post #27647723rd Mar 2008 9:01 am
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Just cleaned Mine

Thanks for the pictures DG they were a great help. Mine wasn't as bad as yours but was in need of a clean. It only took me about 30 mins in total, I think this will be a yearly maintenance job from now on.

Thumbs Up
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #28871119th Apr 2008 9:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >