Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Aux belt tensioner
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Aux belt tensioner

Had the D3 MOT'd yesterday, which annoyingly it failed on a split front outer CV gaiter.
I took the afternoon off work and fitted a new gaiter, managed to get a stretchy one over the outer part using a cut down squash bottle, several layers of cling film and a generous smear of silicone grease.
But that's not the story here.

Whilst fitting the gaiter my phone went, it was Mark the MOT guy who is probably the most fair, sensible, realistic MOT man I've met, and friendly with it, especially to those of us who do all our own repairs.

He'd forgotten to mention that whilst under the D3 he'd noticed through a small gap that the aux belt tensioner looked a bit odd, and knowing I did everything myself meant to mention it instead of investigating further.

I pulled the engine cover off, plus the air filter to turbo hose and fan cover and was shocked to see the tensioner leaning into the engine at a jaunty angle, and the belt shredded along the inner edge where it was touching the bracket.
Further investigation showed the tensioner was broken at the point it pivots and was being held on only by the spring.
I was lucky it hadn't snapped or wrapped round something and done some damage. I don't know how long it had been that way and with no strange noises or anything to give it away I was grateful Mark had noticed it.

Luckily my local LR dealer had a new one in stock, I already had a new belt in the garage, and I still have the spanners I'd made 3yrs ago to get the fan off, so it was an easy change.
But what is worrying, is that the tensioner and belt were changed for genuine LR parts 3yrs and 45K miles ago when I replaced the alternator, surely the tensioner should last longer.

So, long and short of it is that I'd recommend it's yet another item and D3/4 owner should be checking occasionally.

Oh, sorry I didn't take any images.

Nasher
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #13686614th Nov 2014 9:54 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yep, I would have expected more than 45k out of that too. I recently replaced the bearing in that tensioner pulley, and the complete upper idler pulley assy, as they both had quite noticeable play, but not enough to cause belt damage, that was at 60k, and I thought that a bit premature TBH. Definately worth keeping an eye on these. Thumbs Up

Post #13686714th Nov 2014 10:05 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

First one was replaced at 101k with the new engine Laughing
2nd one was replaced a few weeks ago at about 156k, so lasted half the time of the first one fitted.

The bearing was completely destroyed on the second one. Very lucky it stayed in place tbh.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #13686724th Nov 2014 10:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

In a way I can understand bearings failing, especially it the car has been used off road and maybe been dunked a few times, but this was the other end, the sprung loaded pivot that provides the tension.

The gap that is maybe 1/2mm on a new one between the fixed and rotating part was about 5mm and it was just flopping about.

As mentioned, I'm so glad it was noticed.

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #13686764th Nov 2014 10:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >