DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Meet Vinnie.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 14 <123 ... 789 ... 121314>
Iceman08

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Re: Engine Oil

MXB wrote:
Iceman what engine oil do you use as discussed before My D3 has done 230k miles and I did an oil change with the recommended Castrol Magnatex but wonder if I should be looking at something different to take account of the high mileage?

I just left it in the hands of the garage to be honest Shocked I mainly booked it in for a service so they could look over it and tell me I had or hadn't bought a goose!! But from now on i'll be servicing it myself and i'll look into different oils then.

Silly question but have you searched on here for oils for high mileage D3's? If so and you've had no luck then maybe start a new thread as i'd be keen to find this out myself Wink

Post #145726112th Apr 2015 5:34 pm
Iceman08

I've spent a few hours here and there sorting out some different things with Vinnie recently! The first being the brakes, I have now thoroughly cleaned and re greased the brakes all around, I then adjusted the EPB using Bodsy's brake bible, which now means no more squealing after use Bow down

Having too much kit in the boot also got the better of me so I decided everything now needed a home! I took out the original jack and put it in my shed and replaced it with my old D1 bottle jack. With a bit of fiddling around I got it to fit in the foam insert that the original jack went in

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And then a picture with the tool kit put back in place, as you can see the rubber strap is too long now so I ran it through itself and then back up through a ready made hole up on the left hand side

Click image to enlarge

I then had enough room to squeeze in my bottle of 2SO before refitting the cover

Click image to enlarge

Next I focused my attention to the other side, as I don't have a detachable tow bar at the moment I thought i'd fill this void with some other bits I have lying around. In the thick blue carrier bag is a set of jump leads, then obviously an un opened 2L bottle of water and in the little black pouch is a foldable shovel

Click image to enlarge

And then lastly in with a bottle of screen wash before fitting the cover back on

Click image to enlarge

I have a strop and shackles stored inside the rear storage bins so I decided i'd store my other tow rope in the box under the bonnet where the brake servo is. I also stored my spare walking boots, walking poles and a bag of other everyday essentials behind the second row seats in the third row footwells! I didn't take any pictures though!

Last edited by Iceman08 on 2nd Aug 2017 1:49 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #145727912th Apr 2015 6:15 pm
Iceman08

A couple of other bits, not so much maintenance though..........spent the the easter Saturday washing mine and the missus cars, trying out a few new detailing products i'd ordered! It was nice to give Vinnie his first PROPER clean in months, but it made me realise how much he needs a machine paint correction and a re seal.........so thats been added to my "to do list". Only two pictures though as I got too involved and forgot to take any more!!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Easter Monday we went out for a drive and to investigate a couple of places before ending up at our local ish mountain for a spot of sunbathing 8)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Iceman08 on 2nd Aug 2017 1:54 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #145729412th Apr 2015 6:45 pm
Iceman08

And today in preparation for any upcoming maintenance my missus treated me to an early birthday present, Halfords Professional 200 piece socket set

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Iceman08 on 2nd Aug 2017 1:55 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #145729612th Apr 2015 6:50 pm
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Nice pics of the Bluff Thumbs Up not got out for ages now with lots of work on and the Mrs on crutches Big Cry

Bet you'd just bought those sockets earlier when I saw you, had a big smile on your face Mr. Green

Post #145742012th Apr 2015 9:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Iceman08

Ha ha, the grin obviously gave it away!!! Mr. Green

It was busy up there Monday, possibly the busiest I've seen it! I've vowed to never drive the Abergavenny way up there EVER again.........head doing lane isn't the words!!! Mad

Whats the Mrs done? Has she popped yet?!!!

Post #145747412th Apr 2015 10:52 pm
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

She's got 2-3 weeks to go but could be anytime now, problem is its really hurting her pelvis and back hence the crutches Sad

we've not been walking for 6 weeks now Banging Head

By Abergavenny you mean the lane past Llanthony? Very narrow with not many passing spots then Laughing

Post #145750413th Apr 2015 6:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Iceman08

Oh that can't be too nice for her Sad But at the same time its very inconsiderate of her as you haven't been walking for 6 weeks!!!! Shocked

Yeah I meant the Llanthony road but I was being too lazy to explain myself properly! Last time we went down there was in my old car and during the Hay Festival, it was beyond a joke then! This time I thought it would be a lot quieter but I was massively wrong..........NEVER again! Mad

Post #145756613th Apr 2015 10:54 am
Iceman08

Many of you may have seen this on my separate 'My split charge system' thread but I thought i'd add it here to keep all of my progress in one place!

As the weathers changing for the best I decided to install a split charge system to Vinnie mainly for running a coolbox/fridge whilst camping but to also charge phones and other bits too. After reading many other threads on here and getting some good advice regarding different methods (Iguana, Sailorboi & Nic Symonds) I decided I was going to use the T-max Split Charge System.

I'm not keen on adding extra bits to the cab of the D3 where they will be on view and pondered on a few locations to mount the T-max controller, eventually I decided for me the best location would be the upper glove box! So with this in mind I started working my way back from there towards the spare battery box under the bonnet. I drilled a small hole in the corner of the upper glove box and threaded the wires through, I then went on to route them behind the glove boxes.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then from the drivers side footwell I pushed a length of solder through to the passenger footwell to use as a pull through, taped the wires to it then pulled them back through.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

From here I ran them under the carpet and over to the grommet leading to the engine bay. As you can see I pushed a screwdriver through the grommet and nearly caused myself all sorts of issues Shocked

Click image to enlarge

I then replaced the screwdriver with the solder and pulled them through into the engine bay

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The red wire will be too short so I will extend this to reach the main battery. This is how I will use the controller when needed

Click image to enlarge

And when not in use I will just leave it tucked away like so

Click image to enlarge

I next moved my attention to building the rear panel that will house the 12v sockets and usb sockets. I pretty much copied another forum members (Nic Symons) design for this. Firstly I cut a piece of ply to fit inside the back of the rear drivers side cubby panel

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then I marked out where I wanted all the items to go with a pencil and tape measure and started cutting/drilling. After I had marked out the rectangle hole for the volt gauge I then removed the ply and cut a bigger rectangle out of that too

Click image to enlarge

Until I had this

Click image to enlarge

On the back I fitted a fuse box screwed to the ply and set about wiring it all up.The blue wire and smaller wires going to the volt gauge are only temporary as I didn't have the right size cable to finish them

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I then hooked it up to a spare battery to test it all worked.........which it did Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Once I was happy it was all working I put the panel back into its location to see how it looked

Click image to enlarge

Next step is to source some small black screws to fit the socket surrounds on properly and then to get a yellow top Optima battery ordered as well as a battery clamp to fit the spare tray. Once that is in place I will measure up the length of cable needed from the aux battery to the rear and get my local auto electrical shop to make it up for me ready to be threaded onto it's final position.

After Bodsy telling me of the better grommet to use I pulled the cables back into the drivers footwell and fed them back into the engine bay via the new improved grommet

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I removed the siren for better access as I don't use it anyway and mounted an inline fuse holder to the inner wing behind it. I then went on to route the positive cable from the holder to the rear cubby, it still needs tidying up in the engine bay yet. The cable that was recommended was 16mm2, 110 amp.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I ran it behind the foam near the pedals and down in the corner where I fed it all the way to the rear in a duct that already houses cables

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Under the little tunnel into the 2nd row area

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I decided to use one of the already threaded holes for my earth so I gave it a good clean up and attached my negative lead to it

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I've also taken delivery of this bad boy, so hopefully not long now and it'll all be up and running 8)

Click image to enlarge

I then mounted the two distribution boxes, I decided to mount them inside the rear quarter panel with a couple of nuts and bolts drilled through, checking what was behind the panel before drilling of course!!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It was then time to fit the rear trim until I was left with this

Click image to enlarge

And then wired them up like so

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then it was back to the engine bay, I mounted the solenoid inside the second battery box where there was an indent and fixed it with some bolts straight through the plastic

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I then ran one cable from the T-max controller and one larger cable from the solenoid through a conduit, cable tied above the engine cover and on to the main starter battery

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Same picture as before, I ran the positive cable from the solenoid, cable tied to the existing wiring loom and around by the wing where it'll eventually connect on to the aux battery

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then I connected the main earth from the battery and the earth from the T-max controller to a ready made earth post

Click image to enlarge

I fitted an 80amp fuse and connected the other positive cable to it which will be the feed from the aux battery to the rear

Click image to enlarge

And then fitted the battery and connected it all up to reveal this

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

IT WORKS Whistle Thumbs Up 8)

Thats it, my split charge system compete Thumbs Up

I tried to do a thorough write up as although there was loads of info on this nobody actually showed where they put everything or routed cables from start to finish..........and for someone like me pictures are much easier to understand than being told something!!

Edit: After Robbie's recommendation to further protect the positive cables where they are close to the brake pipes I decided to use the remaining split conduit I had left over to do this. Once they were wrapped I cable tied them to the existing wiring loom.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I also added a little bit where the cables ran over the battery clamp of the main starter battery

Click image to enlarge

Then I refitted the alarm siren which I removed to make more space during the fitting/routing process. I don't have this siren plugged in as I rather the horn to sound, it's refitted more so just for storage!

Click image to enlarge

And then fitted the battery and clamp back in before joining the terminals back up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

All slightly neater looking now and that bit more safer! Thumbs Up

Last edited by Iceman08 on 2nd Aug 2017 2:06 pm. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #14676112nd May 2015 11:15 pm
Iceman08

After finding water under the passenger footwell carpet I decided i'd do the easiest mod first to see if it eliminated the problem..........unfortunately it had already been done! Should have checked before ordering the kit Banging Head

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I went ahead and fitted the new patches to the bottom holes and made double sure with some gaffa tape as well, maybe overkill but thats my middle name! I then added some more gaffa tape over the already taped top holes!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then I fitted all the new clips

Click image to enlarge

I did notice in this picture some white behind the screen, I wonder if it's damp getting in somewhere as the other side doesn't have it Confused

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Iceman08 on 7th Aug 2017 12:12 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #14681454th May 2015 10:53 am
Iceman08

After noticing a squeal in the engine area somewhere while idling I was told on here it'll more than likely be the aux belt tensioner. I ordered one as well as a new auxiliary belt as it makes sense to change it while i'm in there, and then set about swapping them over. To remove the fan I used a spanner on the nut with a piece of copper pipe slid over to extend the handle and a large adjustable spanner on the main part.

While holding the small spanner/copper pipe I gave the large spanner a sharp hit with a hammer to shock it loose and it came undone first time Wink

Click image to enlarge

I took this picture incase I forgot how the belt went!!

Click image to enlarge

Old one off

Click image to enlarge

New one on and torqued up to 47Nm

Click image to enlarge

I then used a breaker bar in the 3/8 hole to move the tensioner enough to slip the new belt on

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Compared to other pictures i've seen on here mine looks actually quite good Confused

Click image to enlarge

And lastly new vs old

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Iceman08 on 7th Aug 2017 12:20 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #14705758th May 2015 5:15 pm
Iceman08

Since buying my D3 it's bugged me that the upper console mat was missing, so I decided it was time to fix this!

Click image to enlarge

Much neater looking now 8)

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Iceman08 on 7th Aug 2017 12:25 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #14711679th May 2015 9:41 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Looking good, did the tensioner fix your squeal? Thumbs Up

Post #14711759th May 2015 9:51 pm
focus340

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Enjoying reading this thread (especially the split charge as i'm about to do the exact same)

All us 'fordians' should get together some time and put our Discos to use. Thumbs Up
 Ted

D3 HSE | 19" GG AT3 | Mantec Sump Guard | Front Runner Rack | LR ladder | F+R Light Guards | EGR blanked | Decat | RS500 Intercooler | Tuff Trek TT-H1 awning | T Maxx Split Charge | IID Tool | Prospeed rock & tree sliders | V8 Front brakes 

Post #147125810th May 2015 3:43 am
Iceman08

tayaste wrote:
Looking good, did the tensioner fix your squeal? Thumbs Up

My squeal was a bit intermittent, but since replacing the tensioner i'm yet to hear it Thumbs Up

Post #147134210th May 2015 9:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 14 <123 ... 789 ... 121314>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >