Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

My 2005 D3 TDV6 Manual.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 18 of 26 <123 ... 171819 ... 242526>
disco-nut

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Had one hell of a day, good, bad and ugly.

Fitting the stereo was far from simple. Whoever decided to set up the wiring in the manor it has been done on these Land Rover's wants shooting Mad

Bodsy gave me some great advice, although could not get to the wire he suggested.

I also did not realise that in order for the car to start, ALL the components in the dash had to be plugged in! I found this out the hard way, as I ran out of time for fitting the stereo after not being able to concentrate or think about what wire I needed to do. But because the car wouldn't start, I had to finish the job anyway. So after about 15 minutes of swearing in Tesco's car park a few spaces away from a guy working on his green Mondeo Laughing I finally got it all going and sorted. Although the trim for the dash did not go back on for a couple of hours and wire routing will need to be done once my Reverse Camera arrives. And I ended up connecting the power to the cig lighter wire (green and brown) And found part of the internals of the dash was cracked. And also discovered that the reason the old radio was playing up is because a previous owner had spilt coffee down the back of the dash. Once weird smell found and eliminated, and the stereo removed. I also replaced the hazard switch panel so I now have the parking sensors button.

I annoyingly didn't get to fit the headlight indicator relays or any of the new bulbs I had with me ready due to lack of time as the police had called an emergency meeting and I had to high tail it over to a small town for my other half to attend that meeting. I was unable to actually go into the meeting as it is not a disabled friendly building, and I cannot say the exactly what the meeting was about and what was said, but can say, that FINALLY my situation is changing for the better and the truth has been fully realised about what the hell is going on, and we have been advised what we need to do to not jeopardize what happens next. Shocked Very Happy

Anyway, back on topic, here is some pictures including a little photo shoot taken of my car before we headed home.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #163154426th Mar 2016 11:20 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

When your reverse camera turns up, shout up, you'll need to know the quickest and best route for the cable. Wink
Also, if your camera is supplied with a 5metre av lead, I strongly advise you to get one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-RCA-Phono...Sw3xJVeFFi

Having installed 4 or 5 different reverse cameras, in 4 or 5 different D3's, I can confidently say, 5 metres is not enough, you'll get to the bonnet release lever and no further so get that little extra addition whilst you're waiting for your camera to arrive and save yourself a whole world of pain when it won't reach. Wink

Also, if you've bought the camera that replaces the number plate light, here are two tips for you:
1. Without running any cables, plug your camera into your newly installed radio touch screen port and power the camera up using a PP3 battery to check it works. 9 volts is plenty to power the camera. Thumbs Up
2. If you have bought one of the number plate illumination replacement cameras, you probably won't appreciate the amount of light it robs from the number plate at night.
This is a much better type: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-360-CCD-HD-...SwL7VWqYZ2 and can be fitted like this:

Click image to enlarge

You might be ok with the number plate light being half lit, I wasn't. Rolling Eyes

Good luck with finishing the install. Thumbs Up
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #163155326th Mar 2016 11:48 pm
disco-nut

Cheers Narpy. I have just ordered an extension lead thanks to your advice.

I hear what you say about the reg plate light not being great after the reg plate camera is installed. The issue I have, is the handle cannot be removed from the car as the bolts just spin inside according to M-Tech who ended up painting it with it still on the car. So I don't know how hard it would be to fit the camera you have sent a link to, although it does look good.

Was the picture quality ok from the camera like the one I am planning on installing? I do like the idea though that the one you have shown me is adjustable for the angle. Also could you PM me or post a picture on here of the camera working on your cars internal screen please?

You have got the rusty cogs in my blonde head turning again lol.

Post #163157427th Mar 2016 2:37 am
disco-nut

My finger just slipped Rolling Eyes Laughing

I have bought 8 Eagle Xenon white LED bulbs. I am planning on fitting 4 each side below the side panels in the boot to allow more light into the luggage area.

Post #163157927th Mar 2016 4:46 am
Narpy

Picture quality on the small camera was far superior to the number plate type. I'll post you a picture later.
That handle will definitely come off, of that there is no doubt. The screws are turning because the brass inserts in the handle have corroded onto the steel screws. You always get a few that do that. It is always possible to remove all the screws that still work and pull the handle off leaving the screws and inserts in the tailgate. Thumbs Up
It'll just push back onto those after your install. In fact, thinking about it, I don't think its possible to pass the camera leads into the tailgate without removing the handle so it'll have to come off anyway. Rolling Eyes

You'll manage.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Long Roof Rails

Post #163164127th Mar 2016 10:27 am
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Ian can that camera swivel so you could point it at the towbar?

Post #163164927th Mar 2016 10:50 am
Narpy

Not sure, don't think it swivels but it will turn in the mounting hole buts it's not on a gimble if that's what you mean.

Picture of reverse camera on my Garmin install, pic probably doesn't do the quality justice but it's very good, much better than the number plate replacement type:

Click image to enlarge
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Long Roof Rails

Post #163167727th Mar 2016 12:00 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Bit of a Reggae feel to that last image - Bob Marley's parking place?
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #163168927th Mar 2016 12:25 pm
disco-nut

Treated the Discovery to a basic jet wash which got it looking shiny after the huge storm last night which caused a lot of damage to my home and garden. I am amazed that the cars came out unscathed from it.

Tried to get the bumper LED lights off to no avail!!! They are on there well and good which is really annoying as I wanted to replace the passenger one with a new one that I have bought. So that job is now on hold.

The headlights have now got sidelight UK supplied Xenon 5500k White bulbs in. You can just about make them out in the picture, but the sun was facing the car head on! So not clear at all.

Also tried to fit these Amber/White 3157 LED bulbs I bought off of Ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281938281896?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT
Supposed to be able to get the amber and the white lights to light up seperately, but couldn't even get the amber lights to work, and when I asked the seller for instructions, got fobbed off with, read the listing! There are no instructions on the listing! I tried turning them around in the bulb holder and nothing could only get the white diodes to work!
These bulbs are CRAP!!!

I gave up on the above bulbs, and then found these:

They are purely amber diodes. So now awaiting delivery of them. They have more diodes on them than the other bulbs so fingers crossed that they will be ok.

Didn't get round to fitting the resistors to the indicators yet though. So still got the annoying fast clicking from the dash when the indicators are on lol Rolling Eyes

Next weekend is towbar safety check number 2. But will try and get a few little jobs done on the way home.

Post #163237228th Mar 2016 7:05 pm
disco-nut

Ok, a chance of a possible purchase lead me to ask some people some questions which then lead to me buying another version lol

I was looking on Shpock, and came across these 24v Air Horns, knowing that my car is 12v, I went on facebook and asked a few people about the compatability etc... and before I knew, a fellow D3 owner pointed the way to one he bought and I found out what it sounded like on Ebay. Now the one on Shpock was £5, I ended up spending £14.49 Rolling Eyes Laughing

So the newest part to my Discovery 3 project is a 150DB Air horn, I know these are (OFF ROAD) only use Rolling with laughter So the next thing I need to find out is what exactly I need to do to connect it up in the way I want it to work. I will put up another post ONCE I have the Air Horn in my possession.

But what I want to do is have the original horns for normal road use, and by the simple flick of a switch, I want the Air Horns to then become the main horns off the steering wheel horn buttons. But the switch will be there to change between the 2 different types of horns. Thus keeping it road legal. Kind of lol.

This is the beast I have bought. And it is from a UK seller.

I haven't bought anything else that will be needed, not even the switch yet lol

This was not a planned mod. It was a one thing lead to another jobby. I am terrible, I know lol.

Post #163311830th Mar 2016 1:54 am
urhunden

Sweden 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

Will the new radio still work with the steeringwheel controls?
And what about iPhone conectivity?
Phone book?
Bluetooth?
Handsfree?

Post #163312030th Mar 2016 4:22 am
disco-nut

I never had any of those gadgets before except the steering controls.

The stereo I have has Iphone, USB, AUX in connections, the blutooth streams music, and even the sat nav on my phone, I can access my phone book and previous call logs etc... from the radio touch screen options, I currently have the microphone mounted where the higher spec Disco's have there factory screens, but it is going to be moved to the pillar. The sound quality is awesome and the bluetooth calls are crystal clear and the person the other end can hear me perfectly.

I get better radio reception from this stereo than my old factory unit too.

I can if I want to get the steering controls to work with the stereo, but that requires a connects2 adapter which is currently £39 on ebay. I don't have any steering controls for bluetooth as I have never had bluetooth in my Discovery before so don't know if that would work. However, from what I have read on 2 forums, mostly on this one, if you have a higher spec discovery, fitting an aftermarket system is near impossible as the discovery's seem to only work with the original stereo's fitted. I think there is a way around it, but that would need further reading in the forum.

I am currently running my Lumia phone with the stereo via bluetooth without any issues. But I am upgrading my phone in a few weeks and with the latest range of Lumia phones being such a poor spec, I am considering getting an Iphone.

Hope you can make something of my ramblings lol

Post #163336730th Mar 2016 6:08 pm
disco-nut

When I have the money together, I know what is going to be done next. After lots of thought, I am going to have the nudge bar colour coded along with the front bumper, and either the current rear bumper is going to be colour coded or I will get a D4 bumper to be fitted that will need colour coding. I am considering fitting larger wheels, but not 100% convinced as of yet as I felt a difference in the ride going from 17" up to 19" wheels.

Post #163390831st Mar 2016 7:58 pm
disco-nut

I am getting excited and nervous for tomorrow now. The Discovery is going into a main dealer for the towbar safety check again, but in a Historic town that I haven't been to in over 10 years, but is a nice town, and I will finally stop that annoying fast flashing dash indicator lol

Also, not sure if the DRL is working the way it is meant to, as the seller I bought it from stated that, when the Amber LED component is flashing, the White LED should turn itself off completely until the Amber LED stops flashing. Where as they alternate between indicator flashing. So will be interested to see if the Relay resolves this. However I am happy for the DRL's to carry on the way they are.

And to be on the safe side, I have bid on another set of Resistors as I am modifying a set of Mondeo lights soon. Just waiting for the DRL's and Primer to arrive.

And quite annoyed that my UK bought Indicator LED's have not arrived yet. But possibly won't need them after tomorrow.

Of course, there will be photo's coming Rolling with laughter

And thanks to 2 other member, I now know which wires to attach the resistors to. (WillyEckerslike and Narpy).

Post #16345631st Apr 2016 11:32 pm
disco-nut

After a long debate, and knowing this Range Rover for over 2 years, It even came laning with me lol and was the car that was there when I wrote my 1st D2 off, I always wanted to buy it, and another mate bought, he killed it within a month of buying it, and spent over a year restoring it, and now he is selling it. So I am desperately hoping that my insurance company pay out for my injuries soon as this 96 Range Rover 4.6 LPG HSE Auto known as Range Dog is up for sale. And I really really want it! It won't be replacing the Discovery, but will be used for playing at off road P&P sites and taken to some shows.

This is the beast.

If I buy it, it will be getting a few minor changes, The green will be gone like a shot to start with Rolling with laughter

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder in this case. It was green and the LPG needs to be sorted out.

Post #16346022nd Apr 2016 1:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 18 of 26 <123 ... 171819 ... 242526>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >