Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

PIAA 80 Series Lamps Fitted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes, greater flexibility is another benefit to such a design. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #160239231st Jan 2016 3:52 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

As promised, here are the modified diagrams for the Z brackets:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

That's the length they were all cut to initially (because I wanted to be able to judge the clearance required for the grille and lights), which then required trimming to fit with the Allisport IC. Without that fitted, you could leave them the same and just drill the holes as applicable. I took approx 1.5cm off the inner ones, and circa 3.5cm of the outer ones. Naturally, the grille has to be removable with the brackets in place, though it won't come off with my lights in place (I felt it would look awkward with that big a gap).

In terms of drilling, the inner braket parts were done first. The two rivet nuts, then the rear holes in the brackets, then the fronts, then the bar. Next was the rear holes of the outer brackets, then the outer rivet nuts, then the outer holes in the bar and finally the outer bracket front holes. This worked well, but as the expression goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Spacing of the brackets chosen for two inner 200mm lamps and eventually two outer 160mm lamps was 135mm centre to centre of the inner brackets, and 545mm centre to centre of the outer brackets, leaving gaps of 85mm in the centre and 135mm between the inner and outer brackets. This also avoided fouling any of the exisiting holes. The outer rivet nuts of M10 size could not be placed much, if any, further out.

I trialled it without the outer brackets, and the lamps were fairly jittery (bearing in mind, they weight about 1.3kg each, and the bar itself weights over 3kg!); with the outer ones on, there's very minimal noticeable movement thanks to the greater strength at the outer edges of the grille. I will probably give the grille some extra reinforcement at some point anyway.

Bolts used at the rear were M10 x 55mm and at the front M10 x 40mm. The silicone tubing is 10mm ID, 4mm wall. Rubber washers M10 x 20mm x 3mm. 3 standard M10 stainless washers are used for each rear mounting plus the front bolts, with spring washers. The PVC foam tape is single-sided 50mm x 3mm, placed on both sides of the brackets, so squashes tightly below the grille - which still fits without modification.

Hope this helps. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #16028681st Feb 2016 12:20 pm
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Excellent - many thanks Thumbs Up
 I see no ships........  
Post #16028721st Feb 2016 12:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12