Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

More on ipods...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
grommet

United States 

The Harman Kardon Drive+Play isn't too bad. Neighbor picked it up for $190 USD "on-sale." The display is fairly viewable and the control pod is very usable. Audio output seems to be about the same as the normal iPod output... no better, no worse.

Post #2448223rd Oct 2005 2:25 am
Guy

United Kingdom 

My HK Drive + Play has just turned up. As Grommet says, it looks pretty good; the fitting options seem well thought-out and it'll be nice to hide the iPod away and just use the control knob to access it. All we need now is to work out how to feed the video output to the D3 screen. My money's on Woodman!

So I've got the Drive + Play. All I need now is the D3 and that arrives...

... TODAY!!!!! Very Happy

Post #2828817th Nov 2005 8:52 am
grommet

United States 

You can feed any video to the front screen right now if you want... just wire it up to one of the 3 video inputs on the rear of the Touchscreen and view in test mode. You can use Woodman's instructions; it doesn't need to be for "DVD" only... it could be an iPod's video out.

If you want video outside of test mode, you'll need to contact Nav-TV and spend some funds.

Last edited by grommet on 17th Nov 2005 10:58 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2830017th Nov 2005 10:35 am
MG
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

How do you access the video inputs to the front screen? Do you have to attach to the SAT/NAV player under the left seat or is it a matter of discovering how to get the screen out of the dash-board?
 MG

HSE V6 Diesel
Buckingham Blue
Ebony Leather
Side Steps
Mini Fridge
Rosen A7 Roof-mount DVD player
Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
Removable Towbar and Elecs
Pure Highway DAB
Portable Fridge 

Post #2830717th Nov 2005 10:49 am
grommet

United States 

Greeny, look at the sticky first thread in this forum. They aren't intended to be used in the current Disco 3/LR3, so it's a little more than just plug and go. Smile

Post #2831017th Nov 2005 10:55 am
DrLex

Iceland 

Guy wrote:
My HK Drive + Play has just turned up. As Grommet says, it looks pretty good; the fitting options seem well thought-out and it'll be nice to hide the iPod away and just use the control knob to access it. All we need now is to work out how to feed the video output to the D3 screen. My money's on Woodman!

So I've got the Drive + Play. All I need now is the D3 and that arrives...

... TODAY!!!!! Very Happy

Congrats on both purchases; be sure to post a few pics in your gallery of everything. BTW, whereabouts in Wiltshire are you?
lex
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #2832617th Nov 2005 2:32 pm
Guy

United Kingdom 

DrLex wrote:
BTW, whereabouts in Wiltshire are you?
lex

Thanks. Just on the Berkshire border, a stone's throw from Membury Services on the M4!

The HK Drive + Play control knob seems to have been made to fit on the plastic cover behind the handbrake and the screen tucks nicely on the RHS of the passenger oddments tray above the glove box handle. Ideal!

Post #2834417th Nov 2005 5:10 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Guy wrote:
Thanks. Just on the Berkshire border, a stone's throw from Membury Services on the M4!

Ah, other side of the county to us yokels in Somerset.

Guy wrote:

The HK Drive + Play ..screen tucks nicely on the RHS of the passenger oddments tray above the glove box handle. Ideal!

Or for us paupers with 'S' spec., it will look fine on the shelf where your sat. nav. sits.

May I be so bold as to ask from where you purchased said item? And the amount that changed hands? (Since you mention Dubai, I suspect a duty-free electronic boutique)

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #2835017th Nov 2005 6:15 pm
Guy

United Kingdom 

DrLex wrote:

May I be so bold as to ask from where you purchased said item? And the amount that changed hands? (Since you mention Dubai, I suspect a duty-free electronic boutique)

No, I cheated a bit. I work for another bit of Harman International and managed to call in a favour and get it shipped from the USA. According to the HK guys, it should be available in the UK in December but I don't know what the price will be. If I get any more info, I'll let you know.

Post #2835117th Nov 2005 6:21 pm
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

The HK Drive + Play looks fine but it's not really the solution I want.

What I'm really after is the possibility of attaching my iPod to the car's audio system, and then operating it from the Navi screen, i.e. the selected music should be displayed on the screen, as in iTunes. It should also be possible to choose new music with the touch screen or with keys on the steering wheel, when available.

Something like this was mentioned in the first post of this thread. Does anyone know if anything like it is coming soon?

Eric

Post #2844718th Nov 2005 4:31 pm
Guy

United Kingdom 

espri wrote:

What I'm really after is the possibility of attaching my iPod to the car's audio system, and then operating it from the Navi screen, i.e. the selected music should be displayed on the screen, as in iTunes. It should also be possible to choose new music with the touch screen or with keys on the steering wheel, when available.

Something like this was mentioned in the first post of this thread. Does anyone know if anything like it is coming soon?

Eric

That would be a Denison product. Their web site doesn't list anything for Land Rover yet. I imagine LR (and most other manufacturers) will start integrating iPod control into future vehicle builds, given the iPod's dominance in the market. A halfway-house solution may be to use the Drive + Play controller (mounted behind the handbrake as I have suggested) and then get a video feed from the control box to the D3's display. It should be possible in theory, but I'm not the one to ask!

I'll post some photos next week after I've installed it properly when I'm back from the land of Simon & Sheep.

Sheep

Post #2845318th Nov 2005 5:01 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Guy wrote:
I'll post some photos next week after I've installed it properly when I'm back from the land of Simon & Sheep.

I knew he'd fallen out with Art, but is that the best Paul can do for a comeback act?

Seriously, look forward to the pics. I've done a lash up with a gutted belkin, so would relish 'proper' control. Given the existence of HK kit in the car, you'd think it would not be too tricky for HK to offer a LR-only kit. Either economies of scale or LR's tight control on kit (witness BN's Webasto saga) no doubt prevent this right now.

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #2847718th Nov 2005 8:32 pm
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Yes, it looks like it might be a while before the all-singing, all-dancing solution arrives. Pity. Maybe I should retire and program it myself Laughing

Actually, I posed the same question I asked here to LR Customer Service about three weeks ago. No news yet but, if I ever hear anything, I'll report (though I didn't really expect taht they would give away many secrets).

Eric

Post #2850118th Nov 2005 10:58 pm
grommet

United States 

I wouldn't expect any magic new features to appear for the Touchscreen. Remember, Disco 3/LR3 doesn't even use the Touchscreen for stereo controls or any significant vehicle functions since it's optional. I personally can't stand being forced to use a Touchscreen for basic controls... too close to BMW iDrive. Smile There is such a thing as too much integration.

Post #2850318th Nov 2005 11:13 pm
Guy

United Kingdom 

I have just been fiddling around to see where the best place to fit the Drive+Play would be. Have a look at this shot:

The display fits perfectly (and I mean perfectly!) into the RH cupholder. Obviously you will lose the use of the cupholder but it strikes me as the most discreet place to put it and should draw less attention from passing scallies who may have designs on your iPod. You can also see the control knob sitting behind the park brake (ignore the wires - they'll go somewhere neat when it's properly installed...)

The only other location I can find is at the RH end of the passenger cubby tray above the top glove box. I'm slightly worried about it fouling the passenger airbag there. Anyone know how it deploys? (I don't want to carry out an empirical test involving a wall at 20 mph...)

Post #2876221st Nov 2005 5:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >