Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

More on ipods...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Guy

United Kingdom 

espri wrote:
Many thanks, Guy, very interesting. The control knob doesn't get in the way when you use the park brake?

Eric

No, no problems at all. As I mentioned earlier, it's an ideal place for the control and is really easy to use when driving (I find I only need to advance or repeat tracks when I'm moving and leave all the complicated stuff for when I'm stationary).

Post #3027829th Nov 2005 9:57 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

What's the level balance like? all the 'solutions' I've tried so far have a marked difference between the CD / radio volume and the AUX input... with the consequence of the navigation 'voice' is either too quiet or loud.
Physically it looks a good idea but I don't want to be continually adjusting input levels as I do presently Confused

Post #3028029th Nov 2005 10:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Guy

United Kingdom 

It seems to be the same level as the CD player which, incidentally, is a little quieter than FM radio on my D3 although that's probably due to the immense amounts of compression the broadcasters stick on to make their station sound the loudest (not R3 and R4, of course).

There's also a setting in the D+P to equalize all the track levels (as there is in the iPod). There doesn't seem to be any level adjustment (that I've found) on the D+P. But, in all, no complaints.

Post #3028229th Nov 2005 10:07 pm
10forcash

hmmmm... beginning to wonder if I have an 'issue' the Belkin (yuk!) amplified adaptor doesn't seem to bring the level to anywhere near that of the CD / Radio, also tried a DI box and the apple docking station with line out (at 0.775V=0dB) i'm beginning to think that the Disco 3 works at 1V=0dB or has dropping resistors somewhere... fer feck's sake! even my old Pioneer stereo had the ability to balance inputs!!! Evil or Very Mad suppose that's progress Rolling Eyes

Post #3028529th Nov 2005 10:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grommet

United States 

The real solution is to continue to bug Land Rover with requests to fix AUX. It really need a "relative volume adjustment" on the head unit. Sad Poor design.

Post #3029829th Nov 2005 10:55 pm
10forcash

grommet wrote:
The real solution is to continue to bug Land Rover with requests to fix AUX. It really need a "relative volume adjustment" on the head unit. Sad Poor design.
Thumbs Up agree with that! Thumbs Up  
Post #3029929th Nov 2005 10:56 pm
Guy

United Kingdom 

10forcash wrote:
hmmmm... beginning to wonder if I have an 'issue' the Belkin (yuk!) amplified adaptor doesn't seem to bring the level to anywhere near that of the CD / Radio, also tried a DI box and the apple docking station with line out (at 0.775V=0dB) i'm beginning to think that the Disco 3 works at 1V=0dB or has dropping resistors somewhere... fer feck's sake! even my old Pioneer stereo had the ability to balance inputs!!! Evil or Very Mad suppose that's progress Rolling Eyes

I doubt the Aux is 1V but I also doubt that we'd ever find any published data on it! I think it's an Alpine unit? They might be persuaded to reveal something...

10FC - I think you may have a problem on yours. I certainly don't find the level difference too much of a problem on mine.

I do like the idea of you driving around with a DI box feeding the Aux though. How about a Fender Twin on the back seat mic'd up into the Aux? Laughing

Post #3030729th Nov 2005 11:13 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

10forcash wrote:

The other thing to note is that if you use the headphone jack (yeah I know your not here but some do) the volume output is lower on Euro iPods than US ones due to EEC nannying and worrying about our ears.

Post #3030929th Nov 2005 11:16 pm
Guy

United Kingdom 

simon wrote:

The other thing to note is that if you use the headphone jack (yeah I know your not here but some do) the volume output is lower on Euro iPods than US ones due to EEC nannying and worrying about our ears.

Ah, that's interesting. Mine came from the Apple store in Northridge, CA a couple of years ago...

Pardon?

Eh?

8)

Post #3031129th Nov 2005 11:17 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

LOL... yeah Americans are a bit deaf maybe Wink

Post #3031829th Nov 2005 11:28 pm
graemem

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

10forcash wrote:

TFC I have the same problem with my belkin unit, I just turn it up louder, but it throws the guidance volume out so the woman ends up shouting at you. I then tried the belkin unit on my stereo and I get the same issue. I think it is more the IPOD than the Belkin unit though.

Post #3034630th Nov 2005 9:44 am
10forcash

graemem wrote:
10forcash wrote:

TFC I have the same problem with my belkin unit, I just turn it up louder, but it throws the guidance volume out so the woman ends up shouting at you. I then tried the belkin unit on my stereo and I get the same issue. I think it is more the IPOD than the Belkin unit though.
if we're talking of the same unit
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage..._Id=193794
it's iPod specific so it should be capable of line level output, unless the output is limited by Apple's licencing and technical standards.... Confused that said, it appears to be more of a variable attenuator than an amplifier as there is no percievable increase in volume between the belkin unit and the line out of the Apple docking base. I've also tried the Sendstation docking connector with line out http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWorldSite/...daptor.htm
Same level problems Twisted Evil

think i'll take the Belkin unit to bits and see if I can 'improve' it Surprised

Post #3034830th Nov 2005 10:05 am
10forcash

Guy wrote:
I do like the idea of you driving around with a DI box feeding the Aux though. How about a Fender Twin on the back seat mic'd up into the Aux? Laughing
.... yer.... in a 'Spinal Tap' sort of way Laughing the Disco3 goes waaaaaay above 11 though Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing  
Post #3034930th Nov 2005 10:09 am
croyde

You can adjust the levels in iTunes. Right click on the track and hit either info or options and there is an audio bar set to zero. I have raised all mine by 40%.

There is a program that does the lot for you rather than adjusting each individual track, its called Eupod and it's free. Do a search.

Post #305991st Dec 2005 11:29 am
10forcash

sounds like a plan Thumbs Up cheers for that !

Post #306011st Dec 2005 11:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >