DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

FOUND COOLANT LEAK WHILE LOOKING FOR STEERING RACK LEAK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Azzybee

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
FOUND COOLANT LEAK WHILE LOOKING FOR STEERING RACK LEAK

Hi guys.

I was looking to see if I could find a leak on my steering rack as the dealers told me I needed to replace it and as I haven't had any issues with my steering I wasn't convinced. While looking for the leak I found my coolant leak by chance. I thought I'd share this with you guys incase anyone is having low coolant come up on their dash and are loosing coolant.

The leak is from a hose at the point where the clip is connected on it. I am taking it into my mechanics on Saturday to fix, I presume it will be a simple fix. At the same time he will look at the steering rack to assess.

Here are some photos to give you a little pointer where it is leaking from.

In the mean time I found the gaitor to be oiled up which makes me think the gaitor is leaking/split. Is this a possibility and if so would just the gaitor need replacing?

Thanks guys.

Post #170535013th Sep 2016 8:15 pm
Discogaz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hii Azz

Give Lucas stop leak a try, my rack was leaking and it stopped it. For a tenner'ish a bottle, it's got to be worth a try.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUCAS-POWER-STEE...3d2042c31f

Post #170535913th Sep 2016 8:30 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Quite common for the water pump to leak onto the steering rack. Mine did the same but left a pink powdery deposit on the rack, rather than actual, wet, coolant.

Consider replacing the water pump if you can't see anywhere else it might be coming from. Thumbs Up

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #170538913th Sep 2016 9:03 pm
Azzybee

Hi Gaz.

Hope you are well. Tyres are still running at 100%, thanks again Thumbs Up I will see what my mechanic says on Saturday and if it is a big job then will defo buy a bottle of the Lucas seal.

Thanks for the heads up I appreciate it.

Woolmeister, the leaking coolant and leaking rack are two seperate issues. I found the exact point today where the coolant is leaking from which is at the end of a coolant tube right where the clip holds it on.

The rack gaitor is oiled up, as if it has been leaking. I looked everywhere and it doesn't seem to be a leak from somewhere else which has gone onto the rack but rather the rubber gaitor sleeve is oily as if it is leaking from that area.

I hope I don't have to replace the rack because I want to use my money for a remap and egr blank. Let's hope for the best.

Post #170544713th Sep 2016 10:00 pm
Azzybee

Im changing my coolant expansion tank which arrived today. Could someone direct me how to remove the bottom hose easily?

Only looked at it briefly in the dark earlier and thought it may be little tight.

Also do I have to drain or do anything else before or after (apart from topping up) I fit it in?

Many thanks.

Post #173414815th Nov 2016 1:55 am
Compusmentis

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

To take the expansion bottle out, remove lh headlight by sliding up the two locking tabs ans pulling the whole unit forwards. Undo the single wiring harness connector as the light unit comes forward.

Remove the washer bottle fill hose (just clipped in place)

Undo the pipe clips, undo the bolt (can't remember off hand if there are 1 or 2) that fix the expansion tank to the wheelarch, and then jiggle, wriggle and twist the tank out of the headlight hole.
 New gearbox & TC, 3 x front wheel bearings, belts changed, new oil pump, new battery, new rear prop, new front prop, new front diff, front arb refurbed, front cv boot kit, egr blank and BAS software patch, full rear suspension / drivelive rebuild, new front arms, LED trailer light fix, split charge.
Never had a 107, 90 or 127, but have had most of the rest! 

Post #173415915th Nov 2016 7:01 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Oil on Rack

I had a similar deposit of oil on rack but the rack was not leaking. There was a small leak from a junction in the ATF fluid pipes above. A jubilee clip was not quite tight enough. The ATF is very thin any left a light wetness on rack that collected dirt and looked more like oil/grease.

I would also clean with detergent then monitor before assuming it's the rack.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #173416315th Nov 2016 7:44 am
Azzybee

Thanks for the info compusmentis, appreciate it.

You too Barn1e thanks for the info and will look into it.

Post #173469515th Nov 2016 10:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >