Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Keeping the suspension "UP".
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 28 <123 ... 8910 ... 262728>
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Thanks CaverD3.

I don't think the rear shocks feel too stiff, so maybe they are good candidates for a D3. Alternatively, a rear Bilstein pair may cost less.

The wreckers said that one day they'll lift the body off so if I think the rear needs a softer bar, I'll endeavour to get it when I can. But a stiff rear bar will help prevent the front from following the surface variations so just the softer front one might work quite well in that regard. I'm hoping it will arrive before the w/e so I can fit it before some back road travel on Sunday.

Post #5998399th Feb 2010 11:28 am
GraemeS

Well folks, it seems that I have success with my current project. I didn't concern myself with using a tape measure in the initial testing, but apart from a lack of brain cells that had me increasing the voltage for sensors that increase in voltage as height increases which had the system lowering instead of raising, it appears to behave well. The unit has been unplugged until I do some thorough testing and proving as time permits. I'm chuffed!

Last edited by GraemeS on 10th Feb 2010 9:07 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #60061310th Feb 2010 8:33 am
oldsalt

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Very interesting Graeme, I look forward to any news......you may have hit the nail on the head re the "lifting" of the D3.
Good luck,
Peter
Thumbs Up

Post #60061710th Feb 2010 8:47 am
GraemeS

Thanks Peter.
My only concern was that the system might not like my pseudo-analogue voltage signal but there's no problem with that at all. The heights I have chosen might need some fine tuning and after CaverD3's comments, perhaps only 1 height at 35mm is all that's required.

Post #60062010th Feb 2010 9:05 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

With my 'spaghetti' wired sytem, I had two programmed voltage levels for two different increases - one at +30mm, one at +50mm. The latter wouldn't allow emergency ('super-extended') height to be selected without EAS faults. I gave up on this 2 years ago and I went for shortened rods, because I couldn't make the system reliable enough when off-road (I was intercepting the signals at the sensors). GraemeS' system sounds much better.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #60076510th Feb 2010 1:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GraemeS

I envisage there would be problems with any add-on system, mechanical or electrical, if the suspension cannot raise any further when the air suspension system thinks it should.

I like the principle of being able to de-activate the raised height without stopping so that the extra height is only used when necessary, although I have to admit that the shorter rods is a very simple solutuon.

Post #60108710th Feb 2010 9:15 pm
GraemeS

I can report that not hitting the bump stops definitely improves the ride more than the very slightly stiffer suspension whilst using my lower setting. No problems over 100kph either, and still up at the end. Its intriguing to watch it drop an inch (or thereabouts) one end the other when the switch is set back to standard height with the door open then closed again once outside. Its time to get down to checking some fine detail now that it has shown to behave itself.

Post #60128311th Feb 2010 1:11 am
GraemeS

I calibrated the 4 ICs today to get them to output the same voltage as being input and considered that 1 to 3 mV under was close enough, at least for the moment. My non-raised hub to guard measurements are now identical to standard. My +25mm was +20mm on the front and +35mm on the rear and my +50mm was +45mm on the front and +70mm on the rear. Obviously the rear sensors move at a different rate compared with the front and therefore need different increments. I have now reprogrammed the ICs for +30mm and +50mm and to accomodate the front/rear difference, with ICs now specific to a corner although not vehicle-specific. Maybe tomorrow I'll get to test the new settings.

Post #60145411th Feb 2010 12:30 pm
E-peich

Spain 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi I was under your investigation project, because we have in the Discovery Spanish website, a little project similar to your suspension aplication, in development during 2008 and 2009 also, in 2010 tha real aplication soon.

We have 2 development lines of the system, one in the same line that you and othe more advanced (I think).

Could you see in this link:

http://www.discotr.es/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=413

PD: Sorry it is in spanish but you can take some ideas.
 E-peich

"A man with a new idea is a madman until the idea triumphs" - Mark Twain 

Post #60161111th Feb 2010 5:32 pm
GraemeS

Thanks E-peich. I see from the pictures that there have been a few different approaches looking for a solution. Mine is holding-up well to initial testing and calibration, with maybe only a couple of hours work left to do.

Post #60174811th Feb 2010 8:56 pm
Lobster

Australia 
Spanglish conversion.....

http://translate.google.com.au/translate?j...&tl=en

Post #60193712th Feb 2010 8:01 am
GraemeS

Thanks Lobster. I only looked at the last couple of pages and it doesn't seem to reveal anything about what they appear to have discovered.

I'm more than happy with my approach, and getting quite close with my calibrations. I went for a drive along my bumpy 2km driveway tonight to look at any change in headlight aim with my normal, +30mm and +50mm heights and was very impressed with the much gentler ride over bumps and ruts with both raised heights compared with standard height. The circuit diagram is now being prepared for a trial pcb run to make sure its correct prior to getting a proper pcb run done, but that could easily take another month. Progress will slow but at least I'm over the main hurdle.

Post #60209012th Feb 2010 12:07 pm
E-peich

Spain 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Graeme, could be usefull for your calibrations a so on this work do it scaning position 2D for the spining movement variation for the sensor:
http://www.discotr.es/download/file.php?id...utocad.JPG
And the excel curves of this calibration for diferent volst:
http://www.discotr.es/download/file.php?id...view/Copia de curva-excel.JPG
If do you need some help with the connectors I have the solution, but it is my knowlege, as yours it is the electronic circuit build. If you are interested on the connectors solution I can send you some details if you share the electronic circuit and picaxe program.

http://www.discotr.es/download/file.php?id...Conexiones ECU.jpg
At the end after desestimation of your solution by the danger option because it is critical to manage signals from the ECU suspension car without the design knowlege from the ECU.
We create another system who make the same fuctions that the original one, using my conexion solution.

Regards,
 E-peich

"A man with a new idea is a madman until the idea triumphs" - Mark Twain 

Last edited by E-peich on 14th Mar 2010 11:34 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #60213212th Feb 2010 12:25 pm
GraemeS

My unit is progressing. As of today it now gets calibrated on the vehicle at installation (or recalibrated at any time thereafter if required) which should make it work on an RRS even though the sensors are attached differently (as I understand) and quite probably any RR with air suspension without any model-specific programming. Now waiting for a couple of initial PCBs to be produced in a few weeks time. A D3 owner has offerred to trial one when its ready. The high setting is off-road height and the low setting is 60% of that height, so about 30mm, providing a very useful extra bump-stop clearance for gravel roads.

Post #62013213th Mar 2010 9:52 am
oldsalt

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Sounds veeeeeeeeeery interesting, can't wait to see the "finished" product - well done Graeme. Thumbs Up

Post #62043513th Mar 2010 11:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 9 of 28 <123 ... 8910 ... 262728>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >