Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

4 pot or 6?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

110CSW wrote:
That is true as the bigger engine will have a much broader spread of power and a more appealing low end torque curve. That's half the reason I don't want the 4 but I would still prefer a larger performance differential and doing something silly like putting the 180PS version of the 4 pot would not work. The current 6 is clearly a stop gap for a period of time.

The 4pot is 240PS in D5, not 180PS.

The broader curve is more useful when towing big stuff but most of the time the 240PS/500Nm 2.0 is going to be more than adequate. The beauty of turbo engines is, of course, the ability to pull more performance relatively easily. I bet the 2.0 could give nearer 280+PS quite easily.

Horses for courses, of course, which is I went for the TDV8 in my RRS and not the pointless 2.7TDV6. Thumbs Up
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #17308828th Nov 2016 2:50 pm
J77

Scotland 

180 is available in other markets.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #17308918th Nov 2016 3:15 pm
Deanos_Beano

England 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
110CSW wrote:
That is true as the bigger engine will have a much broader spread of power and a more appealing low end torque curve. That's half the reason I don't want the 4 but I would still prefer a larger performance differential and doing something silly like putting the 180PS version of the 4 pot would not work. The current 6 is clearly a stop gap for a period of time.

The 4pot is 240PS in D5, not 180PS.

The broader curve is more useful when towing big stuff but most of the time the 240PS/500Nm 2.0 is going to be more than adequate. The beauty of turbo engines is, of course, the ability to pull more performance relatively easily. I bet the 2.0 could give nearer 280+PS quite easily.

Horses for courses, of course, which is I went for the TDV8 in my RRS and not the pointless 2.7TDV6. Thumbs Up

Its not about how many but how they are achieved , if the D5 has lost .5 of a ton that leaves 3 add 5 people plus luggage plus trailer or caravan and all thr 240ps wont mean nothing because its going to need a full fuel tank to spool them turbos and thats more weight Smile

Seriously its great there is a defined vehicle for chelsea now and another for people who go beyond , this will finally make the tree huggers think about why they are scratching a 4x4 if its only got a small engine and for the rest who do off road we all know tree huggers dont like it outside the city in the cold so our cars are safe

Sorted.

Post #17309998th Nov 2016 6:13 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

If 240PS/500Nm in the "light" D5 is inadequate, how did D3 drivers get by with the puny 190PS/440Nm 2.7TDV6 hauling their heavy vehicles about? Is the D3 incapable of towing a tin tent all of a sudden?

Sure, headline figures aren't the be-all, but the 2.0 puts out it's maximum torque (500Nm) at 1500rpm. That means it's giving 140PS at 1500rpm. The power figure rises from there with revs, obviously. That's not far off what the 3.0 TDV6 does. Is the 3.0 only just marginal at towing tin tents?

Until people drive the 2.0 and see what it's actually like, it's all guesswork really. It sounds like some people just want to not like the 2.0 just because, well, it's a 2.0 4 cylinder diesel rather than a V6. Whistle Rolling with laughter
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #17311968th Nov 2016 10:24 pm
110CSW

United Kingdom 

My two points are quite simple:

-I'm not paying £60k ish for a 4 pot engine; and

-The 6 pot diesel does not have enough of a power hike over the 4 pot. Hopefully the engine refresh will fix this.

The above might be my excuse for sitting on my hands for a while but it works for me!
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #17312018th Nov 2016 10:28 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Do not think you will see the new engines for a while yet
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #17312028th Nov 2016 10:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
110CSW

United Kingdom 

Even better, saves me more ££.

Actually in addition Mrs 110CSW is after an AWD XF wagon when it comes out next year. Wonder if they will offer the 240PS diesel rather than the 180PS which is the only offering in AWD in the saloon? Mind an ingenium 4 pot petrol AWD with 250-300PS would be interesting.
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #17312068th Nov 2016 10:33 pm
dlks151

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I went to see the D5 tonight, they had it in 2l HSE Lux form. The Ingenium engine seems to fill the engine compartment quite nicely until you lift the engine cover and then you realise theres plenty of space in front of it to slot in something bigger in. JLR representatives wouldnt be drawn on what might go into it in the future!

Quite impressed with it really Thumbs Up
 There are 10 types of people in this world ~ those that understand binary and those that don't.
----------------------------------
Discovery 5 TDV6 HSE LUX - On order
Land Rover Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE
Range Rover TDV8 Westminster - Now gone
Land Rover Defender 90
Honda VFR 800 Vtec 

Post #17312138th Nov 2016 10:44 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

There was talk of 3.0 inline-6 petrol and diesel engines in the future so perhaps D5 will get a 3.0 inline-6 diesel next year some time.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #17312208th Nov 2016 10:55 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I would forget about newer engines i would give it a rear end job make it look half decent than what the ugly thing is now,perhaps year 17.5?

Post #17312278th Nov 2016 11:21 pm
Dannyson

England 

Thumbs Up thats what I'm hoping - jack up the rear end to make it more D4 like - give it a decent engine and I might be half tempted..... Rolling Eyes in a few years....
 2016MY Discovery HSE - Black
2009MY Toyota Land Cruiser (Lc4) - Black 

Post #17312358th Nov 2016 11:47 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Red Merle wrote:
RRSTDV8 wrote:
Red Merle wrote:
I think most people will buy the 4 pot. Many will live to regret it.

I wonder. Most Discos don't tow, I'd say. Most are just 4 wheel drive MPVs and used as such the 2.0 will make a lot of sense. When sat on the motorway they'll get decent mpg and on an interesting road, the lighter front end should make for a more enjoyable drive. For general pottering about dropping little Jocasta at ballet lessons, the 2.0 will be an excellent choice.

I was forgetting that the buyer for this new car is likely to be very different to the customer base that the Disco 4 sells into.

Twaddle - I would suggest the D5 has been built to be more appealing and better suited to the existing D4 customer base. its called moving with the times. Yes, some wont like it and will change brands but I expect it to attract more new customers than lose old ones.

Post #17314799th Nov 2016 3:14 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

As I have said before I bet a lot who are saying no way will I have one, will be in one within 5 years as per the D4 over D3
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #17315029th Nov 2016 4:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Deanos_Beano

England 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
If 240PS/500Nm in the "light" D5 is inadequate, how did D3 drivers get by with the puny 190PS/440Nm 2.7TDV6 hauling their heavy vehicles about? Is the D3 incapable of towing a tin tent all of a sudden?

Sure, headline figures aren't the be-all, but the 2.0 puts out it's maximum torque (500Nm) at 1500rpm. That means it's giving 140PS at 1500rpm. The power figure rises from there with revs, obviously. That's not far off what the 3.0 TDV6 does. Is the 3.0 only just marginal at towing tin tents?

Until people drive the 2.0 and see what it's actually like, it's all guesswork really. It sounds like some people just want to not like the 2.0 just because, well, it's a 2.0 4 cylinder diesel rather than a V6. Whistle Rolling with laughter

I have driven a 2.0 ,4 pot for years and they won't tow what the 3.0 will without some compromises and on the limit episodes it's a fact and really that simple . The number of brand new vehicle owners in these forums is minuscule compared to D4 ,D3 used owners and the longevity of those vehicles and the way it's unique looks have lasted have kept the brand alive and the D5 just won't be sought by that huge used market so it won't enjoy the same success , it's bland and generic and such marketing strategy with 3 similar looking models is doomed in my opinion and I will be choosing the RRS next time as the Disco offers nothing to sway me unlike previously

Post #17316259th Nov 2016 8:34 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

swansty wrote:
Red Merle wrote:
RRSTDV8 wrote:
Red Merle wrote:
I think most people will buy the 4 pot. Many will live to regret it.

I wonder. Most Discos don't tow, I'd say. Most are just 4 wheel drive MPVs and used as such the 2.0 will make a lot of sense. When sat on the motorway they'll get decent mpg and on an interesting road, the lighter front end should make for a more enjoyable drive. For general pottering about dropping little Jocasta at ballet lessons, the 2.0 will be an excellent choice.

I was forgetting that the buyer for this new car is likely to be very different to the customer base that the Disco 4 sells into.

Twaddle - I would suggest the D5 has been built to be more appealing and better suited to the existing D4 customer base. its called moving with the times. Yes, some wont like it and will change brands but I expect it to attract more new customers than lose old ones.

I never find it easy to accept "Twaddle" as a coherent argument, but it it insulting to suggest that's it's better suited to the existing customer base and that it's "moving with the times". My standards are higher than those catered for by this half hearted effort and I refuse to accept that I should have to compromise AND spend more!
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #17316539th Nov 2016 9:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >