Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

4 pot or 6?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Russell wrote:
As I have said before I bet a lot who are saying no way will I have one, will be in one within 5 years as per the D4 over D3

You are free to say it as often as you like but, if Land Rover don't raise their standards over the next 5 years, I (and quite a few others) shall need to look elsewhere Sad
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #17316579th Nov 2016 9:11 pm
J77

Scotland 

They haven't raised their standards in 68 years, they won't start now Laughing

Personally I'm not bowled over by the design, I don't dislike it but I think it's lost some of its charm and sophistication but for my use it will do everything my current one does. I have a few reservations about it but hopefully next week when I get a chance to view it they will be put to bed. If not the current one will go until the next Defender, looked at others including the F-Pace but Jag are turning out some poorly built cars at the moment making LR look like one Germanys finest.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #173183710th Nov 2016 12:06 am
fisherman

Wales 

Really? I looked at the D5 last week and liked it but also looked at the Jag's at the same dealership. The F=Pace was nice but the F-Type was a stunner. I could see no problems with the build quality but I didn't pull them about.
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #173187910th Nov 2016 8:59 am
J77

Scotland 

I've been lurking on the forum and some of the cars are truly awful.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #173189010th Nov 2016 9:24 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

J77 wrote:
They haven't raised their standards in 68 years, they won't start now Laughing

Laughing

Post #173189510th Nov 2016 9:41 am
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Red Merle wrote:

I never find it easy to accept "Twaddle" as a coherent argument, but it it insulting to suggest that's it's better suited to the existing customer base and that it's "moving with the times". My standards are higher than those catered for by this half hearted effort and I refuse to accept that I should have to compromise AND spend more!

Yes, twaddle isn't the most sophisticated of debate comebacks but I think a fair description. There isn't a D5 thread that you aren't in moaning and complaining about how it doesn't suit your needs and its terrible etc etc. Ok, we get the point, move on. No manufacturer can build a car to suit every single persons needs. I love my D4 but and cant think of anything else out there that I personally would replace it with but I can accept that the model was due replacement.

Give the D5 a chance, even with its 4 pot engines. Yes we may see the 2.0 4 pot as a backward step but Im sure LR wouldn't have put it in if they didn't think it was capable. 4 pots are used in plenty other pick ups and 4x4's and seem to tow fine. And if you cant accept it, LR have very kindly left the 3.0 V6 diesel in the range so if it is so important, you can have it.

Post #173189710th Nov 2016 9:48 am
110CSW

United Kingdom 

Russell wrote:
As I have said before I bet a lot who are saying no way will I have one, will be in one within 5 years as per the D4 over D3

That's regularly the case with new launches - existing owners on forums are initially negative. I will certainly consider a D5 in due course but the perpetual large price rises put me off and so do four cylinder engines.
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #173191610th Nov 2016 10:40 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

swansty wrote:
Red Merle wrote:

I never find it easy to accept "Twaddle" as a coherent argument, but it it insulting to suggest that's it's better suited to the existing customer base and that it's "moving with the times". My standards are higher than those catered for by this half hearted effort and I refuse to accept that I should have to compromise AND spend more!

Yes, twaddle isn't the most sophisticated of debate comebacks but I think a fair description. There isn't a D5 thread that you aren't in moaning and complaining about how it doesn't suit your needs and its terrible etc etc. Ok, we get the point, move on. No manufacturer can build a car to suit every single persons needs. I love my D4 but and cant think of anything else out there that I personally would replace it with but I can accept that the model was due replacement.

Give the D5 a chance, even with its 4 pot engines. Yes we may see the 2.0 4 pot as a backward step but Im sure LR wouldn't have put it in if they didn't think it was capable. 4 pots are used in plenty other pick ups and 4x4's and seem to tow fine. And if you cant accept it, LR have very kindly left the 3.0 V6 diesel in the range so if it is so important, you can have it.

It's a place for criticism as well as praise. Incidently, I don't think there is a D5 thread where there isn't somebody complaining about how everybody will soon come round to it either. Wink

Obviously LR wouldn't have put the 4-pot in if it weren't fit for purpose, but there are differences in who it is aimed at - it is it's purpose that is different. Maybe there are 4-pots that tow fine, but so are there cars without 4WD that drive perfectly well on the road. There are people about for whom a VW Golf is an increase in space. There are people for whom a Nissan Micra is a performance upgrade. Things are a bit different depending on where you're coming from, and coming from the D4, standards are sky high for towing ability. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #173192810th Nov 2016 11:50 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Nicely put Thumbs Up

Post #173193710th Nov 2016 12:17 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If I put SWMBO in a 2.0 4 pot after my V8d she wouldn't notice the difference and that's the point to me; lot more potential customers come into play as price down and close/overlap previously considered 'class below' competitor vehicles.

I've driven the 2.0d version and was surprised and impressed. As said by someone can't remember loads of gripes on 190 brake D3. I always thought my 2.7 tonne brick went rather well considering.

And don't forget there's a bit of nod to green brigade with this as ALL manufacturers downsize engines. One litre Mondeo anybody?

Post #173209210th Nov 2016 7:53 pm
110CSW

United Kingdom 

I think that having the 4 pot on the price list is the right choice just not for me.
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #173210710th Nov 2016 8:22 pm
Deanos_Beano

England 

astonbuilder wrote:
If I put SWMBO in a 2.0 4 pot after my V8d she wouldn't notice the difference and that's the point to me; lot more potential customers come into play as price down and close/overlap previously considered 'class below' competitor vehicles.

I've driven the 2.0d version and was surprised and impressed. As said by someone can't remember loads of gripes on 190 brake D3. I always thought my 2.7 tonne brick went rather well considering.

And don't forget there's a bit of nod to green brigade with this as ALL manufacturers downsize engines. One litre Mondeo anybody?

None of that makes any sense , from your opening insult of your wifes ability to detect discerning differences to your claim there was no problems with the D3 power unit

You make me want to open an LR dealership near you and sell via a big vending machine because salesmanship is not needed Whistle Thumbs Up

Post #173210810th Nov 2016 8:24 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It is not being disparaging to her it is pointing out the type of use she has in a car; short runs, mostly town driving, etc. She is a 'potential customer' thinking RRS sport (as an example) being 3.0 or 4.4 but now an 'economical' 2.0 one available.

In MY opinion I thought the D3 WAS more than acceptable for size, engine, performance compared to other cronky old 4x4's I'd experienced previously, don't understand your challenge of MY perception of it Rolling Eyes

Go ahead, open a dealership, don't really understand that point but there are a lot of 'Chelsea tractor' types that are (hopefully) thinking "ooh, I can have a LR/RR now" whether that be price point low enough, economy 'acceptable' or company car scheme deems it green enough

Just saying.... Rolling Eyes

Post #173212510th Nov 2016 8:47 pm
Deanos_Beano

England 

Lets beg to differ , I think the 4 pot offers less than the 6 pot and the 6 pot offers nothing the RRS doesnt so we wont meet in the middle

It makes no sense to spend that money on a 4 pot when the competition is worthy and offers more and the 6 pot offers nothing the RRS doesnt the range is simply borked

Post #173215310th Nov 2016 9:41 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

The 4 pot offers some fuel and tax saving potential over the 6 pot. For some, that will be enough of a draw. If the vehicle is, for example, going to be a company car, or a "wife's school runabout" then the 4 pot in conjunction with 7 proper seats, will be better for them than the RRS.

If you need the 6 pot then buy the 6 pot. The 4 pot being in the range increases choice for other people, it doesn't diminish your choice.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #173227011th Nov 2016 10:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >