Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Installing extra 9" lights?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Healey

Sweden 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hej Guebo!

I agree with Lost for words. LED lights tend to put out a lot of light very close to the car but poor lighting ahead unless they have advanced reflectors. Also LEDs do not give off heat so your lights tend get snowed over if the snow is the least bit wet or sticky. I have 3 Hella 3003 set up as two ref 37,5 to give a nice spread to the sides (moose detection Wink ) and a ref 50 in the middle to give you a long beam ahead of the car.
Have a look here:

https://www.bilupplysningen.se/product/hel...r-3-pack-2

Staffan
 2008 Java Black D3. 2.7TDV6 HSE.
Series III Mud Flaps
18" Nokian Hakkapelita 8 winter tyres 

Post #175492629th Dec 2016 1:14 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Guebo wrote:
Lost for Words! Appreciate your thoughts. I´m aware that those chinese lights might not be the best quality. Probably less W than advertised too. However I´m not looking for that far reaching light of 500 m +. Quite winding forest roads here in Sweden. More important for me is to light up as much as possible in lets say 2-300 m, to be able to spot the wildlife in time like moose, deer, etc.

For good vision to 2-300m you will still want a nice driving beam. The things is, those LED arrays will give you little, if any, distance beyond your factory lamps. It's a bit counterintuitive, but if you have lots of light spread around you, you see less far than if you have a small amount of light in a nice controlled beam, because your eyes adjust to the light levels. Doesn't have to be expensive - just something with a decent beam. Thumbs Up

Quote:
I know it´s a bit exaggerated to have four lights, but I like the "cool-factor" Very Happy plus I think it makes the car look good. With only two lights on such a big car makes it look like something is missing. Not supposed to insult your choice, just my own thoughts of how I like my car. Used to have four 9 inch halogen lights on my Range Rover. My wife has a small ledbar on her Freelander and I really like the light coming out of that. Much better than my old halogens.
You are absolutely right I could find better quality lights, but that would also make a much bigger hole in my wallet. Very Happy

Absolutely - nothing wrong with four lights; as I said, I have a second pair to be fitted to mine. Thumbs Up

Quote:
Lost for Words! One more thing! You seem to have great knowledge about lights. Haven´t bought anything yet so feel fre Thumbs Up e to recommend me other lights you think is good, but not too expensive. Thumbs Up

Well, I can recommend mine - PIAA 80 series. 8" so sizeable but four will fit between the lights (9" is probably too big to fit four). They come in driving, spot and fog (spread) beams and take H4 bulbs, meaning you have dipped beams on offer and can get 160W bulbs (similar output to 55W HID). They're not too cheap, but not the hundreds that some lamps cost.

There are plenty of others to choose from - Lightforce, KC, Hella etc. all do decent lamps. If you stick with high wattage halogen, it's cheaper, you can get better throw than LEDs, better light quality and no start up delay. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #175498929th Dec 2016 11:16 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >