Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Reconditioned engines
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
bobupndown

Northern Ireland 

Reading threads like this makes me very frightened to upgrade to a D3 or 4 from my good old Td5! Shocked
 2004 Discovery 2 Td5 Landmark
2013 VW Tiguan Tdi 4motion
1963 Morris Mini Minor Superdeluxe 

Post #186816913th Oct 2017 6:28 pm
Klanbo

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi, I've put a bid on a 2011 Disco 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark on the salvage auction CoPart. I was the highest bidder but didn't meet the reserve, which turned out to be £12k. I bid £8k but they have made me a counter offer of £9k - I'm thinking of offering £8.5k. The description states "Engine will not start, unknown reason". Pretty typical vague description from CoPart.

Anyway, assuming worst case scenario that the engine is a write off with a snapped crankshaft or worse, I'm trying to find out the cost of replacement. Also, the car is in York, I'm in Berkshire, a couple of hundred miles away, so actor in delivery charges and fees, I'm looking at about £9k to get it to me. Considering the car is worth about £16k in good working order it could be a good deal but totally dependent on the cost of repair.

Can anybody actually recommend a decent supplier that could fit a new (or good as new, i.e low mileage without the inherent faulty crankshaft bearings) engine in my area (or anywhere in the south). Global Engines, Engines are us, any others out there that have a decent reputation? Appreciate any advice. Of I can get it fixed for under £4k I'd be happy. I've got a 2006 Disco 3 Metropolis at the moment and fancy something a bit more modern Smile

Thanks
Ben

Post #188339325th Nov 2017 10:30 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

To give you an idea, i believe an exchange 2.7 engine is around £5K + fitting from LR

I would expect a 3.0 to be more.

Post #188340325th Nov 2017 10:47 am
Washwipe

England 

A 3.0 engine is around the 10k mark plus the fitting, search Global on here and tread very very carefully.

Post #188340625th Nov 2017 10:54 am
Klanbo

Thanks for your comments but it's already been said earlier in the thread that a new engine from LR is £5600, £4250 for a reconditioned unit + 22 hours labour. So I know how much it costs from Land Rover, what I was after was any recommendations from a reputable company that could do it cheaper.

There are clearly companies out there willing to undercut the dealer prices, i.e. lower labour rate and cut a few corners using reconditioned parts, it's just searching on here I'm yet to find anyone say they've used someone and the results were good. In one post I saw that Disco Mikey had recommended via another user, EuroJag (too far away from me), CWS (the one in Glastonbury I assume) and DieslelEnginesRus. Was just looking for some solid recommendations.

I could happily strip and rebuild an engine myself, but the whole body off approach to replace the engine is beyond my capabilities, not to mention having the space and tools required. If I was to source an engine, I'm assuming I'd be looking at minimum £1500 for fitting only? The only question is...who can I trust to do it?

Post #188341725th Nov 2017 11:26 am
Klanbo

Oops, sorry! Just realised that's for the 2.7. OMFG, 10k + VAT, is it gold plated? Perhaps a short engine would be a better option. Anyway, I'm thinking getting the engine out of a written off D4 would be more sensible. They come up on the salvage sites every now and again. Still, the problem of who to fit remains Confused

Post #188341825th Nov 2017 11:31 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I don't think there are any reputable companies out there.

ppl have taken the engine out of a D3 without body removal.

So if the engine doesn't have a hole in the side of it, maybe you should rebuild it yourself.

You can get parts for the 2.7, but you should check you can for the 3.0

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/tdv6-big-en...96481.html

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/2-7-tdv6-en...ut+body+on

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/engine-body-procedures-158296.html

Post #188342625th Nov 2017 12:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >