Upgraded shock absorbers for airsprung & coilsprung LR3/
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
pantg

Location: 862, Paralia Markopoulou Oropou, 190 15 Oropos, GREECE

Greece 
Upgraded shock absorbers for airsprung & coilsprung LR3/

Fellow listers Hi,

As most of you may already know several months ago a Greek journalist sponsored by Land Rover and other companies has undertook to travel around the world in 800 days. (www.theworldoffroad.com)

The vehicle is a coil sprung Land Rover Discovery LR3 TDV6. The coils used were offered by Outback Imports and are heavy duty KING SPRINGS. No shock absorbers were available when the vehicle was prepared and as a result it was decided to address to this matter by locally fabricating upgraded shock absorbers.
Fitting upgraded shock absorbers was considered as essential since the vehicle carries additional heavy equipment including a front mounted winch and A bar, a rear mounted spare wheel carrier and a 110 litres supplementary fuel tank.

The solution provided was the creation of entirely new shock absorbers both for the front and rear axle.
The new units are fitted with a larger diameter shaft, larger and thicker seals and are fully serviceable and repairable.
The vehicle has now travelled thousands of kilometres laden with heavy equipment. We all know the arduous conditions of the African roads and we should bear in mind the off road itinerary selected by the Greek team.

The shock absorbers have proved their strength and reliability and allowed us to proceed into offering similarly
manufactured shock absorbers but this time for the air suspension fitted LR3 and Range Rover Sport vehicles.
The shock absorbers compatible with the air suspension fitted cars have the appropriate mounting points for the airsprings and are differently valved so as to complement the operation of the air suspension while retaining the strengthened and larger shaft and seals.
Those units can also be fully serviced, revalved and repaired.
The only part required in addition of the shock absorbers is a set of new seals which is recommended by LR to be changed everytime a shock absorber is removed from its airspring assembly. Those O-rings can also be provided along with the new shock absorber but can also be purchased directly from any LR spare parts store or dealership.

They have now been fitted in more than 10 vehicles during the last months and have covered a combined distance in excess of 100.000 kms. They have proved that they can offer a much smoother ride in low speeds while increasing the safety and control of the vehicle in high speeds.

Greek rally drivers, driving instructors and members of this forum have fitted them on their LR3 and RRS vehicles and are extremely satisfied with them. They all commented highly on how the shock absorbers managed to upgrade the general feel of their vehicle providing a sportier behaviour when travelling fast but without any sacrifice at all in low speed ride or bumpy rides.

The shock absorbers will soon be available in the UK and other countries through a selected network of distributors but orders can also be taken at this time directly from Greece.
<SNIP> Commercial link removed!

Photos taken during the installation of the air suspension shock absorbers on a Range Rover Sport will be posted in the GALLERY area of the forum.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1629

Take care
 Pantelis Giamarellos
LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE

tel +30 22950 37637
fax +30 22950 31818
mobile +30 6944 579911
e-mail pantg@otenet.gr 

Post #2308765th Dec 2007 10:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ollram

Greece 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I confirm that the shocks are just GREAT
a very good job indeed

Post #2317597th Dec 2007 5:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hi, good information, but please read the Commercial Post Rules

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #2319528th Dec 2007 1:14 am
mzaver

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3
Didn't realize the D3 came without Terrain Response?

http://www.theworldoffroad.com/theworldoff...opic_id=92

"The ideal car for “The World Offroad” project is a Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6, in it’s basic equipment spec, for maximum reliability and easy maintenance. Specifically, the car must be equipped with:

Manual 6 speed gear box.
Standard – not pneumatic – suspension.
Basic transmission spec (no Terrain Response)
Limited Slip rear Diff. "
 2007 LR3 HSE - Zermatt Silver Zermatt Silver
2007 LR3 HSE - Stornoway Gray (Mrs.) Bonatti Grey
*Luxury Package (Heated Wind Shield, Heated Seats, Heated Washer Fluid, Adaptive Front Lights and Center Console Cooler Box)* 

Post #2319708th Dec 2007 2:27 am
catweasel

no air no TR

Post #2319738th Dec 2007 2:47 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Interesting info, but what will it actually do? Make the ride stiffer perhaps so may have less roll around the corners?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #2319758th Dec 2007 4:06 am
pantg

Greece 

Gareth wrote:
Hi, good information, but please read the Commercial Post Rules

Cheers Thumbs Up

Gareth Hi,

I am not producing, making or selling them.
So I do not think there is a problem with any of the provisions of the commercial post rules.
The reason I used "we" is just because I am very proud that this products was conceived, designed and fabricated in my country.
And as we all know Greeks are quite fond of our country apart from being great lovers (LOL & hint for the other posting)

Take care
Pantelis
 Pantelis Giamarellos

tel +30 22950 37637
fax +30 22950 31818
mobile +30 6944 579911
e-mail pantg@otenet.gr 

Post #2320198th Dec 2007 11:43 am
pantg

Greece 

Bodsy wrote:
Interesting info, but what will it actually do? Make the ride stiffer perhaps so may have less roll around the corners?

Bodsy Hi,

the good thing about them is that they are valved so nicely and calibrated with the airsprings that they are in fact softer over small anomalies of the road allowing a better "magic carpet" feel when driving at slow to medium speeds. They also offer a better "insulation" over speed bumps.

On the other hand when the speed increases and loads to the shocks absorbers increase in terms of high frequency movement of the valve and travel they get firmer and hold the car more leveled and controled reducing roll.
It is quite hard to believe that it can be done but it IS done and that's why it was decided to proceed into a large scale production.

But those details are not for me to discuss. I only wanted to present this new and interesting product. Commercial and further technical details can be provided through the e-mail address I posted for exactly this reason.

Take care
Pantelis
 Pantelis Giamarellos

tel +30 22950 37637
fax +30 22950 31818
mobile +30 6944 579911
e-mail pantg@otenet.gr 

Post #2320228th Dec 2007 11:55 am
MrH

United Kingdom 

Bodsy wrote:

Bodsy, if you want to see what one of these coilers can do, come to the 15/16th December event that AndrewS is organising and you'll see my coiler. This will hopefully also be fitted with the King Springs by then, but like catweasel, I am using the LR original shocks.
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #2320248th Dec 2007 11:57 am
pantg

Greece 
Re: Didn't realize the D3 came without Terrain Response?

mzaver wrote:
http://www.theworldoffroad.com/theworldoff...opic_id=92

"The ideal car for “The World Offroad” project is a Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6, in it’s basic equipment spec, for maximum reliability and easy maintenance. Specifically, the car must be equipped with:

Manual 6 speed gear box.
Standard – not pneumatic – suspension.
Basic transmission spec (no Terrain Response)
Limited Slip rear Diff. "

Mzaver Hi,

the vehicle is a manual 6 speeder, has a coil sprung suspension and no Terrain Response and does NOT have a limited slip rear diff since you can not have this accessory without the Terrain Response (since the limited slip rear diff is electronicaly controlled and adjusted by the TR computer according to the selected settings and the information provided by the sensors)

Take care
Pantelis
 Pantelis Giamarellos

tel +30 22950 37637
fax +30 22950 31818
mobile +30 6944 579911
e-mail pantg@otenet.gr 

Post #2320258th Dec 2007 11:58 am
jacob

Greece 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

hello guys,

dissapeared fr a while, but iam back again.... Shocked

what i can say is tht i test drove a disco 3 with those shocks, and was indeed like
Panteli's described, ''magic carpet'' on slow speeds and stiff on high.
have tied a difficult ''zig zag'' (say to change suddenly lanes and immidiatly to hard brake the car with
abt 100 mls/h) and was i n c r e d i b l e!!!!!
tried same manouver..with my disco3 and all the electroniks came on (dsc/abs etc...) and the rolling felt
''like a boat'' compering to the other.

personaly have ordered a set and should be on, sometime w/i january.

Pantelis is right, has nothing to do with the sale of the product, as same was developed by common friend
of ours, a top mechaniker of land rover dealer, which his speciality is to make the better...best Thumbs Up
(although i belive tht Pantelis assisted somehow with his vast experience in L/R vechiles.)

regards
jacob

p.s: kala tous ta eipes re panteli...bravo kai eidika tis... ''xaderfis'' exeis megalo souxe telika Rolling with laughter

Post #23251110th Dec 2007 4:54 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Disconutter wrote:
Bodsy wrote:

Bodsy, if you want to see what one of these coilers can do, come to the 15/16th December event that AndrewS is organising and you'll see my coiler. This will hopefully also be fitted with the King Springs by then, but like catweasel, I am using the LR original shocks.

Would have loved to DN, but going on Chrimbo holidays to Austria the following friday night, so need to get prepared!

Will be at Tong on 30th though Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #23251710th Dec 2007 5:08 pm
pantg

Greece 

People Hi,

Just a small note to advise you that if anyone is interested for the Greek made shock absorbers you can now contact me so as to be provided with your shocks from the direct source of their manufacturer.

Unfortunately Spyros has been caught behaving as all the LR dealers do (some fellow members call them stealers on this forum) and charging far more than due.

Take care
 Pantelis Giamarellos

tel +30 22950 37637
fax +30 22950 31818
mobile +30 6944 579911
e-mail pantg@otenet.gr 

Post #8230124th Aug 2011 3:01 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Pantelis, Still waiting for a price, I am ready to buy!
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #82902726th Aug 2011 1:37 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Bodsy really want to buy from dodgy source 2000 miles away?

i am opting out I think will make my own ones lol

Post #82904326th Aug 2011 2:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >