Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension fault - have I done something wrong??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
mark george

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

PLEASE HELP ME.. been working away for a while but now back... car has been sat on the drive now for almost a year and i must get this sorted.. suspension still faults, 'gallery will not vent'

To recap, had a compressor fault for couple of years, suspension dropped to the floor few days after MOT work (new rear bushes), found suspension would rise but would not lower?? replaced front and rear valve blocks, new compressor, then found a suspension leak - front N/S spring replaced, no more dropping of the front end Very Happy . BUT... no different still get gallery will not vent. If i remove the pipe from the reservoir valve block to the pump the suspension will vent using IID tool.

I now have the adaptive headlight warning light on and the stability control light on...

checked wiring and connectors behind the wheel arch.. all immaculate condition

I've checked the power from the ecu to the pilot valve. all ok, but it appears that the valve is operated by a switched earth from the cpu. if i bypass this and run directly to earth on the battery the valve opens as it should and the car lowers. Is the ECU shot or is something telling it not to lower? could it think there is an obstacle under the vehicle?

Now, 1 week before the fault ever occurred it had the rear bushes replaced, could we be looking at a faulty/damaged height sensor? cannot see any signs of damage.. If I replace them all can i calibrate them with all the different faults going on..

Post #21588465th Jul 2020 9:13 am
mark george

one additional point, if I try to vent gallery using IID, the pilot does not open, everything else does open as expected, front lowers and back raises as air redistributes due to weight of the front end. This must point to an ecu problem?? can they be replaced? what programming is needed?

Post #21588475th Jul 2020 9:16 am
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

Could be worth buying a second hand ECU, they’re only about £30 to £40 on eBay. It does sound like the valve isn’t receiving the signal but is that due to the ECU or something that gives a signal to the ECU?

Have you checked all the wiring to the terrain switch? Some have found faults with them.

From reading your thread, it sounds like your leaky front strut and cracked front likely caused your compressor to run excessively to the point it gave up. But you now have an additional fault where the rear struts won’t vent. Have you looked at the wiring diagrams for earth locations etc. If it’s of any help, I reckon you’ve got over the hard bits and your in sight of the final fix.
 012MY RRS 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography (Current)
Mods:
TPMS (Complete but got an issue)
Genuine LR DRLs (Complete)
Remote Boot close from key fob (Complete)
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2 (Complete)
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (Now 2016 L319)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE (Complete)
2014 LR4 Homelink (Complete)
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass (Complete) 

Post #21588575th Jul 2020 9:51 am
mark george

Just looking at second hand ECU's now, need to get the part number off mine to make sure i get the correct one, still not entirely sure if it will fit straight on or if i'll have a VIN mismatch problem to overcome assuming - IID tool can do this, guess it must be able to as there are loads for sale.

Not checked wiring from switch, in all honesty i've not seen the slightest sign of ant wire corrosion/damage anywhere i've been on the vehicle so far.

I get a rapid slight open and close of the pilot valve on operation so I think the ECU is giving a slight earth but not enough to keep the valve open (Valve works fine when wired separately). With all these other faults now coming up it does seem to point to the ECU in my head..

Post #21588725th Jul 2020 10:31 am
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

Do you think you could have installed the rear valve block incorrectly? This is what the manual suggests for that fault code.

012MY RRS 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography (Current)
Mods:
TPMS (Complete but got an issue)
Genuine LR DRLs (Complete)
Remote Boot close from key fob (Complete)
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2 (Complete)
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (Now 2016 L319)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE (Complete)
2014 LR4 Homelink (Complete)
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass (Complete) 

Post #21588775th Jul 2020 10:54 am
mark george

Pretty sure its correct, i had the same fault before even touching the valve blocks.
regards the other list of possibles there;

not sure about the pressure sensor- but will not even open the piolot valve using the IID tool
exhaust valve not stuck closed as i can drive it by adding an external earth
not sure about holding the minimum pressure, but this would possibly let pressure out?
will vent using IID if gallery pipe disconnected from the pump so not blocked
pressure sensor is reading as expected in 'live values'
tried to operate with exhaust pipes disconnected no different so silencer not the issue
reservoir valve pipes clear.

All vents as expected (using IID) if i disconnect the pipe from the reservoir valve to compressor pipe..

Post #21588995th Jul 2020 12:26 pm
Paxmanmerv

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Hiya!
Got yours sorted yet? Read through your post & theres some interesting stuff on there. Doing front valve block change & drier change this afternoon. Lot of faults on this car similar to yours. Will let you know how i get on & what, if any, solution i found.

Post #217043228th Aug 2020 11:36 am
mark george

No never got it sorted, car now sat on the drive for over 18 months, had another stab today, fitted replacement ECU, got expected faults, cleared them and car lifted (had dropped a long way after sitting there for 6 months). up and up it went! now its stuck very high again and wont open the exhaust valve to allow it to drop. so exactly the same issue, i guess its not the ECU! cant calibrate it because i cant get the car to 'normal' height so refitted the old ecu.

it seems that there is a power loss to the valve with not enough there to open it, valve works ok when i give it power from the battery, why would 2 ecu's do the same? its not wiring as i've run a direct wire from ecu to valve. can get it to operate through a separate relay.

car is off for spare or repairs at this rate!

Post #220074010th Jan 2021 3:17 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Sorry to hear of u tearing ur hair out, indeed think many of us can relate to suspension nightmare faults , know I also felt like banging my head against the wall when I was tracing error after error on mine

Out of curiosity , with the engine off, plse pull fuse F26 , allow the disco a good 15 -20 mins to go into sleep state then reinsert fuse F26 , then start the engine

Please let me know what the suspension does after the engine has been started , thks

Ps, do wonder as the error came up after the mot / bushes work if maybe a height sensor, wire might have been inadvertently damaged ??? , just a thought which I imagine you’ve already gone over, also have u replaced the reservoir valve

Also found the notes for the reservoir valve pressure sensor volts and ohms , just in case it’s of some use

The valve block contains a solenoid operated valve which is controlled by the air suspension control module. The solenoid valve controls the pressure supply to and from the reservoir. The solenoid has a resistance value of 2 Ohms at a temperature of 20°C (68°F). When energised, the valve spool moves allowing air to pass to or from the reservoir.

The valve block also contains a pressure sensor which can be used to measure the system air pressure in the air springs and the reservoir. The pressure sensor is connected via a harness connector to the air suspension control module. The control module provides a 5V reference voltage to the pressure sensor and monitors the return signal voltage from the sensor.

Last edited by gstuart on 11th Jan 2021 11:13 am. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #220091311th Jan 2021 2:12 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Have yo u had any of the pipes off in the centre vavle, I have had this same issue and the owner had had the pipes off and put them back wrong.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #220099911th Jan 2021 10:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi flack

U must be a mind reader as I just wondered if the reservoir has been replaced , or as u say ref the pipes

Ps, hope this finds u well Thumbs Up

Post #220100311th Jan 2021 10:58 am
longclose

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I have fixed this three times now on three different Disco's. The first time was a brand new compressor fitted by Landrover upgrade from Hitachi to AMK. it failed in the middle of Namibia on an overland trip, had to drive it back 3,000 miles, and had to manually vent the rear shocks which were destroyed when I got back (oil seals due to overextension). Landrover replaced the compressor but refused to pay for the replacement shocks. The second time was on my current Disco, which I bought with the fault in 2019. I replaced the compressor with a cheap Hitachi Chinese copy, the fault remained so returned it. I then bought a new drier unit for £30., cleaned the exhaust valve and assembly on the old Hitachi compressor put it back on never had a fault since. The third time my Son in Law bought a disco with the same fault fitted with, again a rip off copy, he bought an original Hitachi and I swapped the drier unit, cleaned the exhaust valve, and hey presto all good and working no issues in the last 5 months. So this is three times and it's always been compressor-related. Hope this helps you resolve your issue.
 Owning a Discovery 3 is like dating a model.. a firm body and shape, wow.. the ride is fantastic >Very Happy for this your wallet can take a pounding and you worry about being deflated at any time...
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #220109411th Jan 2021 3:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >