DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Guide on how to replace rear diff bearings and seals
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
q2hyaXM

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Atacama SandLR3
Guide on how to replace rear diff bearings and seals

Hi Guys
I bought my LR3 second hand, and of course the previous owner did not change diff fluids in timely matter, causing the bearings overheat. I have changed the fluid, just to see if it will help a bit with a humming noise however I don't quite see any significant improvements. Since I can not afford a new or rebuild unit I have decided to have it rebuilt my self. Besides I could not pass on a learning opportunity here. I bought on Ebay a"LAND ROVER LR3 LR4 RANGE ROVER SPORT REAR DIFFERENTIAL BEARING KIT NON-LOCKER".

Did anybody has done similar job by them self ? Do you guys have any input on what I plan on getting my self into ?

Great thanks
FYI I will try to document the whole process and share with you

Post #150583923rd Jul 2015 7:07 pm
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

There's a good diff rebuild guide here http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup
However I wouldn't take the pinion out unless the bearings feel rough when turned. The rest should be reasonably easy.
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #150585323rd Jul 2015 7:35 pm
q2hyaXM

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Atacama SandLR3

That is indeed excellent article, thank you very much. I have already read it twice, and each time got more and more out of it. I have also watched bunch of youtube videos on how an open diff works and what are the generic steps to rebuild one. From what I see now, it seems pretty straight forward (a lot of new terminology) and only really crucial and complicated part is installing a correct shims and setting up a backlash.

That brings me to another question. Do you guys know correct settings for a backlash along with on how and where to get the ships with correct thickens ? Are those generic or need to be specific for the diff. In addition do you know correct settings/specs for a preload on a pinion and carrier bearings?

Thank You in advance.

Post #150631724th Jul 2015 3:56 pm
Nodge68

I don't believe that there are any published figures for the diffs. However there's nothing to stop you doing some basic measuring before stripping it down. The pinion is likely to be the hardest part to get right which is why I'd suggest leaving it alone unless absolutely necessary.
Do a search for Dana axle preloads for a rough guide. There's a Dana type 44 pdf on the net which shows the tear down procedure and how to measure crown wheel backlash. This measurement can be used for getting the shims correct on reassembly. The clamshell design is different but measuring is the same Wink
I'm also going to need a rebuild on both diffs, as and when time and funds allow.
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #150639524th Jul 2015 6:50 pm
Hank

2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

LR3
non-locking

I've got a rear diff making some racket. I suspect a bearing(s).

I'm up to tackling the job myself, however I've got a few questions I can't find the answer to. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have an exploded view of the diff from the Land Rover training manual. The manual lists specific parts and pieces, and the order they go together, but it does not list part numbers.

In searching I see newly rebuilt diffs for sale ($1300usd), and I also see rebuild kits ($350usd to $450usd). I'm game for a rebuild, but I'm not understanding the rebuild kit. http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/DOK008 is the kit I'm talking about.

My main concern is what the rebuild kit contains. I see from the photos six bearings and three seals.

What I do not see is the o-ring gasket that goes between the two halves of the diff housing, nor do I see a new crush-sleeve or collapsible spacer. I'm also curious if there are any other parts not included in this kit that should be on-hand just in case, I.E. is there a thrust washer or carrier component famous for going bad?

I can deal with not having a new o-ring gasket. Right Stuff is commonly available. But what about the crush-sleeve? It seems to me like this would be included in the kit if the pinion bearing were to be replaced. Do people reuse the removed crush-sleeve?

Any links for photos pertain to the rebuild would be nice as well.

Post #15118656th Aug 2015 3:16 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Nodge68 wrote:
There's a good diff rebuild guide here http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup

I'm glad that article made your 'good' grade but it makes my guides look like random scribbles!
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #15118836th Aug 2015 7:10 am
Nodge68

Hank wrote:
LR3
non-locking

I'm up to tackling the job myself, however I've got a few questions I can't find the answer to. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have an exploded view of the diff from the Land Rover training manual. The manual lists specific parts and pieces, and the order they go together, but it does not list part numbers.

In searching I see newly rebuilt diffs for sale ($1300usd), and I also see rebuild kits ($350usd to $450usd). I'm game for a rebuild, but I'm not understanding the rebuild kit. http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/DOK008 is the kit I'm talking about.

My main concern is what the rebuild kit contains. I see from the photos six bearings and three seals.

What I do not see is the o-ring gasket that goes between the two halves of the diff housing, nor do I see a new crush-sleeve or collapsible spacer. I'm also curious if there are any other parts not included in this kit that should be on-hand just in case, I.E. is there a thrust washer or carrier component famous for going bad?

I can deal with not having a new o-ring gasket. Right Stuff is commonly available. But what about the crush-sleeve? It seems to me like this would be included in the kit if the pinion bearing were to be replaced. Do people reuse the removed crush-sleeve?

Here in the UK, rear diff rebuild kits can be had for around 150 GBP. It mightbe worth getting one shipped to the US to save you a few bucks.
The casing O ring should be available from an LR dealer.
I'd not mess with the pinion or its bearings. This eliminates the need for the crush tube. Wink
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #15119746th Aug 2015 9:49 am
Nodge68

Robbie wrote:
Nodge68 wrote:

I'm glad that article made your 'good' grade but it makes my guides look like random scribbles!

Sorry Robbie that wasn't intentional. You guides are good and will have helped loads of people, including me. Thumbs Up
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #15119766th Aug 2015 9:51 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Always something very beautiful about spiral and hypoid bevel gears; an entirely functional mechanism, but so perfect. Smile

Click image to enlarge
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #15119816th Aug 2015 9:59 am
Hank

Nodge68 wrote:
Hank wrote:
LR3
non-locking

Here in the UK, rear diff rebuild kits can be had for around 150 GBP. It mightbe worth getting one shipped to the US to save you a few bucks.
The casing O ring should be available from an LR dealer.
I'd not mess with the pinion or its bearings. This eliminates the need for the crush tube. Wink

Until the diff is removed, how do we know it's not the pinion bearing making the noise?

Post #15121066th Aug 2015 2:47 pm
Nodge68

@Hank.
You will need to strip the diff to check the pinion bearings. From the diffs I've rebuilt over the years, the pinion bearings take the least hammering. Sometimes a badly worn or out of balance prop shaft can damage pinion bearings but often they are quite serviceable. Have you drained the oil to check for water contamination?
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #15124346th Aug 2015 10:54 pm
Hank

130,000 miles on the clock currently. The diff fluid has been changed at least twice since owning the truck, maybe three times. The truck was purchased used at 30,000 miles.

The last fluid change was at ~120,000 miles. Everything looked normal. I have not looked at the fluid since the noises have started and probably will not until the diff is removed for repair.

I've ordered the rebuild kit. The crush sleeve was not available from the same place I got the rebuild kit from so I still need to order that. Since no one seems to have documented a rebuild of the rear diff in these trucks, I'll try to take some photos of the process and post up once complete.

Post #15127027th Aug 2015 3:02 pm
Sly666

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Is there a guide on removing the rear diff from the car?
I need to change mine but have no idea!

Can it be done on axle stands?

I was toying with rebuilding, fitting a second hand one, or fitting a re-conditioned one, then i found Island 4x4 are doing them new for £580 +VAT
Seems good to me. I can afford this if i fit it myself.

Post #15133208th Aug 2015 10:35 pm
Allan_T

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

@Sly666

Speak to Gary at City Gearboxes Coventry, I've just purchased a reconditioned exchange front differential for £474 inc VAT

024 7663 8899
 GAP IID Pro Multi Vehicle Defender L316 2007-2015 - Discovery 3 - Discovery 4 - Discovery Sport L550 - Freelander 2 - Range Rover Evoque L538 - Range Rover L322 - Range Rover L405 - Range Rover Sport L320 - Range Rover Sport L494
Electrical Fault Diagnostics

Post #15133248th Aug 2015 10:50 pm
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I've read a lot of the available literature found on the NET and viewed a few of the youtube videos, they all make a diff rebuild very practicable and I know I could do one. However, there is one glaring difference between all these and the D3 diff,.......they are all accessible via the rear diff pan, but the D3 diff has no pan and measuring backlash etc is not as simple task.

Quite apart from these difficulties access to the crush sleeve seems impossible and if you do get one the specifications for the diff are not readily available. So before you jump in and strip your diff make sure you can get as much info as you can.

If any one has knowledge of where to get the crush sleeve and other specs I would be grateful for it.

Post #15133388th Aug 2015 11:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >