Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Seat Head rests
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Seat Head rests

From Martin's lurking partner Very Happy We've just returned from 4 weeks travelling in WA - had a wonderful time, which was somewhat marred by the very uncomfortable seat head rests which seem to protrude exessively, forcing one's neck into an uncomfortable position. We purchased a lumbar support from an auto-dealer in Perth, modified it so I was able to sit away from the head rest, and the problem was partially relieved. However, I then didn't have the benefit of the firm seating and was thrown around a bit more than usual when doing some off-road driving. I have to add that my spine anatomy is not the usual as I've had 2 C-spine levels surgically fused. I wonder if I'm the only one to have a problem with the seats, and if not, what sort of solutions people have come up with. When we purchased our Disco, the problem was immediately evident and the dealer mentioned the possibility of having the head rests angled backward, which may be our only option.
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #3531572nd Oct 2008 6:26 am
MJC73

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Try leaning the seat back - works for me.

M.

Post #3531612nd Oct 2008 6:35 am
Neil Pettersen

For me, the entire seat is the downside of the D3.
Too hard,too narrow,too short a seatbase ....... the centre console should have been ditched.
Most D3 blokes are much bigger than me and they would be more comfortable in larger seating.
Did a return trip to Townsville last week (760km) ...... not a good spine/backside experience,but the
vehicle performed superbly..... wonderful ride quality.

Post #3531632nd Oct 2008 6:48 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I had the same issue when driving Gippsland - Perth (contract in Vic ended and moved back home) and wearing bi-focals. Couldn't focus on the speedo (across the Nullabor in the V8 = Twisted Evil ). Once the physio re-attached the neck properly, it was time to modify the headrest. Somewhere on the website there is a thread which tells how to remove the headrests and take the cover off of them (note: HSE has the handles on it which complicates things but persevere). I shaved about 1/2 of the foam off the FRONT of the headrest and put the leather cover back on. Problem solved. The leather covers even "poof" out when not sitting in the seat so no one can tell. When reclining, they just deflate and form much better to my neck.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #3531652nd Oct 2008 7:09 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I have the seat raked back as far as I comfortably can - this has limited effect.
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #3531682nd Oct 2008 7:33 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Try adjusting the seat height, it moves the seat back slightly as well. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #3532042nd Oct 2008 9:17 am
davesimmons

Canada 

Hi Martin, I too have had a couple fused (c5,c6) I dont find the seat or head rest a problem, however there is a company near me that will do alterations to motor bike seats and car seats, they sculpture the foam to your shape, I wonder do you have somebody near you who could do the same. Thumbs Up
 Welcome to the Global Warming Corner.  
Post #3532052nd Oct 2008 9:24 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Martin,

Drivers head rest re-adjustment was a condition of sale when i purchase the car. They suggested that they moved the rest back approx 5-10mm just by bending the assembly! I was rather sceptical, but upon pick up I did notice a slight change in angle (5mm) further back, so took it for a drive and accepted the deal. Probably only the slightest mod, but with the seat angled back in the irght position, never had a prob since.
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #3533772nd Oct 2008 2:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wopac5

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Guys...first a point of order...the items refered to are NOT head rests, but head RESTRAINTs...very important difference. As a restraint, the items are required to restrain the head to limit or prevent a "whip lash" injury. Therefore, the restraints should be set as close as possable to the head to limit rearward movement.
I would hesitate to do, or accept modifications, esspecially "bending" or forcing the assembely.
I agree with others here, that adjusting the seat back will offer the best and safest option.
My wife commented, wheren we first got ours, that when she had her hair bunned up the restraint made the seating uncomfortable, but quickly found that by winding the rest back slightly, all was forgiven. And we have travelled 1600k in a day without any issues.

Post #3545214th Oct 2008 4:17 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Aggree with wopac5,

There are many different configurations of the seat and the steering wheel though.

Steering wheel:
Up
Down

In
Out

Seat:
Forward
Back

Up
Down (also moves the seat back and forward along with the seat base around an axis at the front of the seat base)

Seat Back:
Forward
Back

Lumbar support:
In
Out

I would exhaust all possible configurations before modifying anything.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #3545224th Oct 2008 4:46 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

1. suspension lowering from off-road height setting at 40kph instead of eg. 80
2. spare wheel underneath
3. electronic hand brake
4. head rest that doesn't adjust at all...

Issues - in any order you like... but I agree, the lack of head rest adjustment in height, rake etc is very annoying, and I know has seen at least 1 person buy a VW Touraeg instead, just because of the head rest...

I am very fortunate that my height, build etc suits the seats, and I do find the whole setup very comfortable - can drive for hours without any issues, but it would have been such a logical design change...

All the best with a solution.

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #3556856th Oct 2008 3:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PBob

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Head rests...
what on earth are you all going on about?? (I mustn't have a swelled head)!! Rolling with laughter
 2006 HSE TDV6 Bonatti Grey, ECB bull bar, tropical roof, LG Next G car kit, Tom Tom GPS, UHF, Mitchell Bros tow bar, Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition camper trailer and 23 foot Haines Signature half cabin (Towed separately!)  
Post #3556866th Oct 2008 4:30 am
eran48

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'm fortunate that the D3 head restraint is just right for me but had the same problem in a previous car.

If you can stand the aesthetics (or lack of ), I found that using one of those foam seat covers with golf ball sized dimples on them to be quite good as they move your entire back about a cm away from the seat back. This provides additional space between the back of your head and the head restraint.

Plus you get a good bum massage from the dimples Thumbs Up . But wait, there's more! You also get those magnet thingies built in to magnetize your bum! I think that improves your brain function or colon health. Or are we talking about the same thing here? Laughing

Of course, there is always the classic - plastic beads. These will also move you forward a bit but I find these to be the automotive equivalent to a bed of needles - too painful for my sensitive bum Mr. Green Also, I don't really appreciate getting a grid of bead marks imprinted on the back of my thighs and bum everytime I get out of the car - not sexy and not cool Twisted Evil

Cheers
 Disco3 SE MY08, Rear lockers, Dual air, Long range tank, Cargo barrier, Rear Wheel carrier, BFG Mud Terrains on steel wheels, Rhino Platform rack, Rhino Aero bars, Traxide/Optima Yellow Top, 'Ever Smiling' TPMS Very Happy , Rasta Front plate, ECB Nudge Bar, a whole garage full of camping toys....  
Post #3562267th Oct 2008 12:30 am
wopac5

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

For interest, take a look at these site...and (head) rest assured...

http://www.necksolutions.com/whiplash-neck-injury.html
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_restraint...land_rover

Post #3562407th Oct 2008 4:46 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I don't think that shaving down the foam of the head RESTRAINT weakens the ability to restrain things. There is still the metal rod in place, which is a lot stronger than all the foam. Okay, I do have an XXL hat size, but shaving the foam allows me to look straight at the road better than reclining the seat (which increases the physiotherapy bills). The exceedingly robust side grap handles on the HSE add even more strength to the head rest. Not that I'm volunteering, but I suspect my XXL would fracture before the restraint does. Also, where I take my D3, a rear-end accident is exceedingly unlikely (roos aren't that fast).
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #3562477th Oct 2008 8:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >