Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Are these the 20" wheels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

[quote="Slimer"]Lefthand one on that pic looks like it's got the cameras fitted Richard, did you take a look and see how useful they were with the winch?

Simon,
Did not have a chance for a play with the front camera's & winch. But it did look like a useful view in the carpark! All the LRE Instructors were saying how good they were, also worked very well under water at the river crossings. Not sure if they really saw fish though...
The reversing camera with the predictive yellow lines was the one for me. Showed route vehicle was going plus acurate distances etc. With a trailer on it made a world of difference..
 Off Roading is OK.... But I'd rather be Boating!  
Post #50854717th Aug 2009 9:21 pm
Jesse B

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Question for xtc - or anyone else who's been lucky enough to drive a D4 already: were you able to drive one fitted with those gorgeous looking MTR's? And if so, what was the road noise like on the black-top, especially at highway speeds? I'd be really interested to know if they make a noticeable difference compared to the "standard" road-biased 19 inchers.

Getting decent options in 19" tyres is a real issue down here in Western Australia - I'm busting to buy a D4 with the 3 litre motor, but am troubled by being stuck with 19" rims, and then having to either go with road-biased tyres (that would likely struggle with our off-road or back-road conditions) or potentially noisy serious off-road boots (which would seem to include the MTR's).

Would love to hear that the noise suppression in the new model is so good that fitting MTR's makes little or no difference... But that could well be no more than a pleasant dream.

Post #50915019th Aug 2009 2:33 am
Ken

If the front cams are the same as the FFRR ones they would need remounting for winching even with the fisheye lens

Great quality thou cant see them working well when covered in mud thou and they are right in the line

Mirror ones great for Ruts though Thumbs Up

Post #50916719th Aug 2009 7:13 am
xtc

Jesse B,

Have driven it with MTR's on and it was (to me) very quiet.. Problem is I have only driven the D4 with MTR's on so cannot compare with road tyres. I drive, as many do on here with MTR's on my D3 all the time and have never found that a problem. The road noise is still less than that of my Golf. The D4 / MTR is quiter than the D3 /MTR so I am sure it will not be a problem for you, just do it!!!

Cheers, Richard.
Post #50925219th Aug 2009 11:05 am
Jesse B

Richard,

Many thanks for that - really useful information. And exactly what I was hoping to hear. Very Happy

Now the challenge is going to be finding a set of MTRs down here. I see from other threads around the forum that they seem to have been discontinued (in Oz at least), though there does seem some confusion about that. I'm pretty sure Pirelli Scorpion ATRs are (or have been) available down here in the 255/55 x 19 size, so I guess that would be a fall-back option.

But the really good thing is that this frees me up to go with the new 3.0L motor, rather than the "old" one. And I'd probably bet that it won't be all that long before someone works out how to squeeze a set of 18" rims over the Brembos...

Thanks again!
Jesse B

Post #50952320th Aug 2009 1:05 am
xtc

It may be worth getting AJS, Ken or other site sponsors to quote from here for the MTR's. If you are not in a hurry for them and use DHL or UPS 'slow' service it's cheaper than you think. Or even get a pallet of say 6 sent by boat!

Cheers, Richard.
Post #50959220th Aug 2009 9:25 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

When I wanted the Cooper LTZ's which weren't available in the UK [only US].
I got the UK Cooper Distributor to order me a set in the next time he had a container coming from the US.
This didn't cost me anything in shipping.
You could always try the same with your Goodyear Distributor.
Just a thought.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #50959820th Aug 2009 9:36 am
Jesse B

Thanks for the good options re the MTR's - but this gets weirder and weirder down here: rang a local dealer yesterday, who rang "the main warehouse" in Sydney. Discontinued? Not available? Wrong - they currently have 19 in stock at 255/55 x 19. Mind you, a fat cheque book is required - quoting AUD $641 each! Halve that to get UK pounds... Not sure what you're paying up there, but crikey - 5 times that is a lot of moolah!

At least it seems they ARE available - at present at least. Not sure whether to laugh or cry Very Happy Crying or Very sad

Post #51008021st Aug 2009 2:29 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Jesse,

I found out that my 19" MTRs are increadibly noisy on our WA highways. Think it may be because the sun evaporates the bitumen, causing the road surface to be a coarse gravel. The MTRs were pretty quiet on more sealed new bitumen. I've done about 2k on 18" Cooper HT+, and the cost of used wheels + new tyres was the same as 19" Pirelli ATRs. If the brakes on the D4 are the same as on the V8 (anybody have the specs to confirm or deny this?) then 18" wheels should work fine. I keep the MTRs for sandy beach and Pilbara rock trips (some work, some play) where they are fabulous at 15 (beach) or 20 (rock) psi.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #51008121st Aug 2009 3:09 am
Jesse B

DingMark,

Thanks for that - excellent to have some truly local feedback. I suspected this might be the case - we have so much of the accursed "coarse chip" bitumen here that it seems anything chunky is going to be loud. I don't think the Brits realise how fortunate they are, with their (relatively) smooth black-top. I understand that Main Roads here has some kind of policy relating to the use of this coarse surfacing - not surprisingly, it's to do with maintenance costs... Too bad that everyone hates driving on it.

With regard to the fitment of 18" rims on the new D4 with the 3.0 motor - the word I've got so far is that it's a non-starter, coz the new Brembos are apparently bigger than the old "big" brakes that were on the previous V8's (where the swap worked fine). But I would seriously love to discover that this is in fact incorrect, and that 18's will fit! Surely someone somewhere must have tried this by now?? If it proves not to be so and I'm stuck with 19's then I think I'm heading for the Pirelli ATR's instead.

Thanks again,
Jesse

Post #51008221st Aug 2009 3:23 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The bigger brakes on the D4 are not Brembos, but they do have the same size front discs. The D4 release blurb states that LR have managed to reduce the size of the brake package with clever design of new slimline callipers. As The RRS Brembos already take 19" rims, I interpret the D4 release blurb to mean that smaller than 19" will fit the D4. It still has sliding callipers, not the double-sided callipers the RRS has, which also protrude a long way out horizontally.

Members from this site inspected the D4 brakes at the Canary Wharf expo and concluded that 18" will fit. I hope they are correct.

Post #51008421st Aug 2009 5:33 am
Jesse B

Thanks Graeme. Hope you're right re the 18"s. Have sent you a PM about another D4 matter (right off topic to this).

Post #51009321st Aug 2009 7:40 am
promitheus

Greece 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Just checked the D4 specs again:

For the D4 2.7 TDV6:
Front size mm 317
Type Ventilated disc
Rear size mm 325

For the D4 3.0 TDV6:
Front size mm 360
Type Ventilated disc
Rear size mm 350
Type Ventilated disc

The 18" is only given as an option for the 2.7.
Hence I would conclude that it's only 19" for the 3.0Lt.

Post #51010321st Aug 2009 9:09 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

LR is not supplying any smaller but that doesn't mean they don't fit. The 2.7 has the same discs as the 2.7 D3 so 17" should fit.

Post #51010521st Aug 2009 9:19 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

promitheus wrote:
...For the D4 3.0 TDV6:
Front size mm 360
Type Ventilated disc...

The 350mm rear brakes are the same size as the V8 and are a tight fit with 18" wheels. I can't imagine 360mm front brakes would allow 18" wheels. Should be fairly tight for 19" ones. Pity.... Big Cry
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #51010821st Aug 2009 9:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >