DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

HDC, TRANSMISSION AND PARK BRAKE FAULT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
EddieF

Ireland 
HDC, DSC, Brake & Transmission Fault Lights Amber

Hi,

The HDC, DSC, Brake and Transmission Lights are all coming on together intermittently. It appears to happen under braking or going over bumpy ground. The lights clear on re-start (so far...). I haven't had the difficulties outlined by previous posters such as fuses blowing... yet.

Any thoughts....

Thanks Eddie

Post #84767315th Oct 2011 10:18 am
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Eddie, that is most definitely the BRAKE SWITCH behind the brake pedal, behind the panel. Thumbs Up

Nip in to yer local LR parts, if yer have a good relationship with their service guys, take 10 mins and does'nt cost much £25, its just a plug in and play repair (of course you could then get the fault code deleted on the ecu when its in for its next service).

From the "been there seen it done it " forum member Big Cry

Post #84769015th Oct 2011 11:11 am
b34k3r

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi all,

Similar problem myself today. From what I am reading it sounds like my D3 has switched on limp home mode, with the errors "park brake fault auto release not available" & HDC errors. No mention of transmission faults though.

It's a 08 manual. The brake works fine manually still. Any thoughts? Feels software or sensor related, but I am no expert Smile ! Any ideas folks? Haven't checked fuse box yet. I do a little light offroading, engine could probably do with a clean, but knowing my luck it'll be something else wrong...!

Ironically, the warranty run out yesterday Big Cry

Post #86929610th Dec 2011 6:16 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Brake Light Switch replacement link

If the problem is the brake light switch, the link below to a few files that I have in my gallery covers replacement of the brake light switch - and as a previous post stated, it is fairly easy once you know where to look.

Also the replacement brake switch is I now presume an improved unit. Most early 3's have at some time in the past couple of years needed a new switch installed. As such, replacing the switch now even if it is still OK is rarely a waste of money. When you take the old one apart, you will probably see carbon dust from a failing contact.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5082
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #86943711th Dec 2011 3:27 am
zee

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 3

hi there all im new to this forum i have a 06 disco 3 come to start it this mornin and the fault limited gear change available hdc not operative parking brake fault abs light on and also f is displayed in the square gear box in the clocks can sumone help me im very worried its gona cost me an arm and leg

Post #88692022nd Jan 2012 12:11 am
bbyer

The solution is usually simple.

zee wrote:
I'm very worried its gonna cost me an arm and leg
No the cost will not be big time, but your investment in time going thru all the threads will be.

For the most part, the more fault codes and squawks you get, the less is wrong. The actual fix will be relatively easy, finding it will not be however.

Regard the various message systems and trouble lights as you would a baby crying. The vocabulary of the 3 is very limited. You as the parent have to figure out what all the noise means - is it something serious or just being a baby.

Per my previous post, my favourite fix for every problem on the 3 is a new brake light switch. First look and see if all the brake and tail light filaments are even working. Next, are the bulbs all genuine Land Rover supplied? You will not know so you may as well replace them all along with the switch.

Welcome to the Land Rover experience - making mechanics out of drivers since 1948.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #88693722nd Jan 2012 5:34 am
davemh_80

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Re: The solution is usually simple.

bbyer wrote:

Welcome to the Land Rover experience - making mechanics out of drivers since 1948.

Laughing Laughing

Classic, but oh so true.

Oh, and I'm now in a similar boat:
- christmas tree + chimes
- a barrage of faults
- suspension lowers and 'traction reduced' (is this "limp mode" ??)
- 3 x faults are mentioned on the Information screen:
# HDC Fault System Not Available
# Park Brake Fault
# Transmission Fault Traction Reduced

Stopping the car and restarting seems to clear problems and I can resume driving. But in an utterly indeterminable fashion, the same routine occurs again. Sometimes within 50m, and then anything up to 20km or more.

My only clue as to the cause is that I attempted a rough clean of the negative battery terminal today, followed by a spray with silicon. I've been trolling the blogs but haven't quite got to a diagnosis or fix yet .... so any advice anybody?????

Ps - it so happens I just ordered a Hawkeye. Should receive it later this week, so hopefully will be able to use in to help get through this.

Post #95455014th Jul 2012 9:45 am
bbyer

they are most likely all false codes

You might consider just changing the brake pedal brake light switch.

Your Hawkeye or any other diagnostic device will most likely only show codes related to all the nice coloured lights on your dash. There really are no codes for "goofy" brake light switch or "troublesome" tail lights. I also think the lights and codes will all reappear again shortly after you have manually cleared the codes.

I do suggest that check the operation of all your rear bulbs and replace any that are not genuine Land Rover sourced. It does no harm, costs little, and reduces the number of potential fault areas and maybe will even eliminate a few of them.

Replacing the brake light switch is not much more effort and even if that is not the problem, it will be in the future.
Post #95463214th Jul 2012 3:21 pm
hongkongpeach

France 2007 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

We just had the same problem: Christmas Tree lights on the dash, HDC fault, Park Brake fault etc showing up, and no response to trying to crank it. Meantime the susp had also lowered.
Tried changing the battery first as the old one must have been 4-5 years old and showing 11V, but that was not the trick. Then found that fuse 30 had blown......changed it for another 10A fuse which immediately blew too.......changed again for same result. Hubby then had a moment of inspiration and changed fuse 25 plus 30, and this time SUCCESS, suggesting that it had had something to do with a fused bulb all this time (though we had checked all the rear lights as suggested on other threads). Now going to check the bulbs, but if they're all okay then we're stumped to work out what had happened in the first place.
Keeping a bag of fuses in the car now!!

Post #98915113th Oct 2012 4:14 pm
RossL734

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Hdc transmission and park break auto release fault & smo

I had this problem with mis discovery this week.

Started with smoke from underneath of car then would not start and came up with multiple faults.

Amber parking brake warning light,transmission limited gears available,park break auto release not functional.

The transmission fuse kept blowing and it wiuld not start so i put a larger fuse in to get the car started then removed the fuse once running and raised the suspension then switched it off.

Next i removed the plastic cover under the transmission and there is a small capacitor mounted next to the selector cable. If you unplug this the car goes back to normal,from what i have heard this is not esential and i have been running mine with it unplugged with no problems.

I have spoke to land rover and have ordered the part as it is cheap anyway so might aswell fit it to keep it right.

Once you have unplugged the capacitor remember to replace the transmission fuse with a 10 amp fuse then you will be on you way.

Its an unusual fault and when it happens the discovery is totaly un-movable so this procedure can be carried out pretty quikly to get you going.

Post #10814621st Apr 2013 12:21 pm
bbyer

Link to the Radio Noise Suppression Capacitor problem.

The problem you experienced is rare but has been seen before - a real nuisance.

The part number is NNW502820 and is on the same circuit as the transmission ECU. The capacitors purpose is to absorb stray frequencies that the ECU gives off that may effect the radio. A quick fix is just to disconnect the capacitor. Some think that it is not needed. The fuse that blows is F30E, a 10 amp one in the engine compartment fuse box.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic44647.html

Post #10818942nd Apr 2013 3:56 am
Obgrahn

Sweden 
Hi

Reading this I find my problem similar as above; transmission fault limited gears, park brake fault, hdc fault, stuck in P, E in display and fuse no 30 constantly blowing.
A little smoke appears before fuse is blowing.
Changed from 10 A to 15A and More smoke appeared from behind motor.

My problem is that the car is completly stucked. Nothing happends turning the key.

Where to find this box called "Capasity assy - radio surpression"?

Pictures?!

Best regards
OG

Post #113225316th Jul 2013 4:24 pm
engebo

Norway 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Hi

Capasitor is on the right side of the gearbox:

http://www.lrforum.com/forum/index.php?app...mage=40588

I just disconnected it and the car started. I used the car until I got a new one with it disconnected.

Post #113231916th Jul 2013 6:48 pm
jc_uk

United Kingdom 

Hi

Sounds like the same issue my 2007 HSE has and is in the dealership this week being repaired having been relayed.

Told it will be approx. £300 and not covered on select extended warranty.

Reading T&Cs I'm struggling to understand why this is excluded from the warranty.

Clearly an electrical fault, and cheap to fix £20 capacitor kit.

Any thoughts / suggestions please?

Thanks
JC

Post #119404327th Nov 2013 10:06 pm
jc_uk

United Kingdom 

Bump.

How much have others been charged for this simple fix?

Thanks
JC

Post #119504629th Nov 2013 6:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >